Swingarm flex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swingarm flex

I've noticed that there is a little play in my swingarm if I push on the side of the wheel back and forth. Is that normal? Also watched a video on Instagram today where a bike lands hard at an angle on the rear wheel and the swingarm and the wheel flexed big time. Didn't look good. It was a "surron_official " video if you want to watch it.

I've watched several videos lately of guys landing hard from doing big jumps and blowing out there shock and or the linkage. I think they where all stock bikes though. One guy landed and broke his chain and it wrapped all around his front sprocket. Look like a mess.

Comment

Let's be honest, the LBX is not engineered for the abuse many of us are giving it.
      Knowing this, is knowing parts will flex, break, bend all in the pursuit of finding our limits.
      All third party aftermarket parts do is deflect to the next weak point.
      Tomorrow someone makes a bomb-proof swing arm, then breaks the frame in half, etc, etc.

Comment

Your absolutely

Comment

The stress is moved to the next component in line, sometimes thats where it ends, sometimes you chase it further downline. Depending on saftey, and price it can be better to replace the original rather than for example break a frame. That said my Ron has lots of upgrades perhaps overkill.
          My odometer is reading 3274 and this is my second summer of ownership, id say 3200 or more was offroad use.
          I jump it, if the landing is harsh, I slow down next time. Yeah, i like it! Cant wait to see where this tech goes from here!

Comment

Best to check the swingarm and wheel bearings.

My wheel had plenty of movement from damaged wheel bearings. These can be replaced and it's a good idea to replacement before they die, coz they're a swine to get out once they have fallen to pieces.

Comment

• Father Brian
              Father Brian commented
              Editing a comment
              How many miles did you go before needing to replace the wheel bearings?

I've been running a new set of wheels for about a year now. Almost all on pavement. Just replaced the jackshaft and swingarm and frame bearings 3 months ago.

Comment

Originally posted by JeepinDoug View Post
              Let's be honest, the LBX is not engineered for the abuse many of us are giving it.
              Knowing this, is knowing parts will flex, break, bend all in the pursuit of finding our limits.
              All third party aftermarket parts do is deflect to the next weak point.
              Tomorrow someone makes a bomb-proof swing arm, then breaks the frame in half, etc, etc.
              Oh, crud. How do I know if I'm using the bike or abusing it? Is going of the curb "abuse?" What if it's one of those high curbs where there's a storm drain and you're not going too fast and you stand and then flex arms and legs to absorb the shock because you didn't see it was a high curb & you only weigh 150 lbs. Is that abuse?

Comment

Not compared to some riders that are hard-core single track. If your bike is stock and you ride it alot off road ,I think eventually you'll have mechanical issues. I'm sure the more aggressive riders are working on there bikes way more than the guys that just cruise around town. You have to get to know your bike,it's pros and cons. There is always something I can do that will improve it and keep it up and running avoiding mechanical failures. I've been guilty in the past for just riding it and thinking it's pretty much maintenance free. That lasted for about three years and then I started to have issues, several issues to the point that it was almost unfit to even ride.

Comment

Working...
                X