Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New fork concerns

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New fork concerns

    I got my Sur-ron a month ago and one of the first upgrades I wanted to do is the fork. Watched a lot of videos and read a lot of tutorials so I went for the Rockshox Boxxer which seems to be pretty popular among other ones such as Marzocchi Bomber 58 (which I didn't find), Fox 40 (which I find too expensive - not that this boxxer is not).

    Received the fork yesterday and went to my bike shop. The guy there said that he really stands against putting that fork on my surron because it will break, it's too light, it's not meant for this type of load etc...

    Weight wise, my original fork (a fastace I think) I can see a difference of about 8-10 kg. It is also much sturdier just by looking at the components, has thicker pipes.

    Should I be concerned? I'm not doing big jumps at all.

    #2
    It's always prudent to be concerned when you press lightweight parts.
    Sram and Suntour are working hard on their brands and I see their products on some pro downhill riders bikes.
    If you treat your surron like the mild trailbike that it is you can be confident those forks will provide good service.

    Comment


      #3
      I’m in the same situation.. Nice to to know that I’m not the only one with the Fast Ace forks.. I blindly took apart the left spring fork to see what was causing the clunking and binding up. Found a 1mm thick steel spacer / shim below the spring was almost folded in half. I ride moto and treat my sur Ron as if it was an aggressive pit bike or a fun YZ 85 on some medium rough single track. Looking for a suitable upgrade for the front end. I’m almost certain that the Bomber58, fox 40, boxxer can handle it as well as the DVO emerald will hold up. Problem is finding one of those available to buy right now. Any luck finding something in stock?

      Comment


        #4
        I saw one (bomber 58) in stock in south korea. Can't remember the website well but I'll have a look into my history.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by kstein7766 View Post
          I’m in the same situation.. Nice to to know that I’m not the only one with the Fast Ace forks.. I blindly took apart the left spring fork to see what was causing the clunking and binding up. Found a 1mm thick steel spacer / shim below the spring was almost folded in half. I ride moto and treat my sur Ron as if it was an aggressive pit bike or a fun YZ 85 on some medium rough single track. Looking for a suitable upgrade for the front end. I’m almost certain that the Bomber58, fox 40, boxxer can handle it as well as the DVO emerald will hold up. Problem is finding one of those available to buy right now. Any luck finding something in stock?
          did you have to unscrew the fork foot from the stanchion to get to the spring ? I removed the top caps but that's as far as i got. Any details/help stripping them would be appreciated...

          Comment


          • kstein7766
            kstein7766 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I ended up working backwards only to find out that the lug needed to be removed earlier. I used some vice jaw grips for tubes and a pipe wrench to secure the stanchion while I used a long rod for leverage to back the lug off. I lined the pipe wrench with a silicone pot holder to reduce damage (all I could find in the house and it caused a decent bur that was easily sanded down high grit sandpaper)... Not the way I would recommend for disassembly but it did the trick. If I remember correctly, there was either 4 or 6 ounces of oil in fork from factory. I ended up adding a few extra ounces (2 or 3) when I got it back together to see if it would stiffen up a bit.

            FYI, while I had the fork in pieces, I was over it so I paid in full pre ordered a Marzocchi bomber 58. A few days later put the Fast Ace back on the bike with the extra oil and it seems to feel much better. Good enough that I cancelled my bomber order. About 650 miles total and about 150 miles mostly hard offroad riding since I put the fork back on. Still fully functional. Wouldn't mind finding a stiffer spring to put in there but Im about all researched out on this electric bike for now.

          #6
          I was looking for a new fork back in the middle of summer. Everything was out of stock. I found a bomber 58 overseas that was way over priced at $1500.00. I decided to pre-order a Marzocchi fork thru Jenson, paying for it in advance. They said it might take several months before it is available. It showed up 30 days later. Check with Jenson, they might be able to hook you up if you're willing to prepay in advance.

          Comment


            #7
            I have 2021 Fox 40 Factory and they feel much sturdier than stock DNM's. Haven't heard any complaints about them either. And I've seen some SERIOUS abuse of those forks. YMMV though.

            Comment


              #8
              Originally posted by SolarBeaver77 View Post
              I have 2021 Fox 40 Factory and they feel much sturdier than stock DNM's. Haven't heard any complaints about them either. And I've seen some SERIOUS abuse of those forks. YMMV though.
              What part number did you get?

              Comment


                #9
                Originally posted by Shawn outside View Post

                What part number did you get?
                Dunno about that, not even sure if there's a part number for the whole fork tbh. Anyway it's 2021 FOX 40 Factory 27.5'' fork, 48 rake, black color. I believe there's only one option of those. But you will need a drop down upper crown and probably an adapter for the router if you want to use it with the stock (well, not exactly sure about the latter, because I have 203 to 220mm rotor adapter installed almost immediately after installing those, but at first when I tried to install it on the stock rotor id doesn't align well, probably because it's a boost fork).

                Comment


                  #10
                  All 2022 Fox 40 forks are below. 27.5" forks will need a drop crown to use the tall model X upper headset or use a lower stack headset. The 29" fork comes stock with tall / drop upper crown which will fit the tall model X headset.

                  You'll also need a 5mm rotor spacer to properly align the front brake.

                  910-20-245 2022 40 K FLOAT 29in F-S 203 Grip 2 HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR Shiny Blk Orange/Gloss Blk 20TAx110 1.125 Drop 52mm $1,819.00
                  910-20-244 2022 40 K FLOAT 29in F-S 203 Grip 2 HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR Shiny Orange Black/Clear 20TAx110 1.125 Drop 52mm $1,819.00

                  910-20-247 2022 40 K FLOAT 27.5in F-S 203 Grip 2 HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR Shiny Blk Orange/Gloss Blk 20TAx110 1.125 Flat 48mm $1,819.00
                  910-20-246 2022 40 K FLOAT 27.5in F-S 203 Grip 2 HSC, LSC, HSR, LSR Shiny Orange Black/Clear 20TAx110 1.125 Flat 48mm $1,819.00

                  https://www.dirtmerchantbicycles.com...es-grip2-forks

                  Comment


                    #11
                    Originally posted by X-Nitro View Post
                    It's always prudent to be concerned when you press lightweight parts.
                    Sram and Suntour are working hard on their brands and I see their products on some pro downhill riders bikes.
                    If you treat your surron like the mild trailbike that it is you can be confident those forks will provide good service.
                    Yes, Suntour's forks are perfect, a lot of them are used on MTB or gravel bikes, so weight doesn't matter. it depends on the model(take a look at this list as example)
                    Last edited by RobRi; 1 week ago.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X