5mph drop in top speed after just a few uses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5mph drop in top speed after just a few uses

I hit 50mph on speedo the first 3 times I rode the bike, now I can't get it over 45mph even on a very long straight away.

Is the battery just breaking in possibly?

I think I figured out the issue... it just started getting cold (near freezing) overnight here.

I started charging the battery in the bike trying to avoid wearing out the connectors.. I didn't know the cold affected the battery.

Anyway that's my guess... I brought the battery in last night, and will charge it up, and try it out today...

I'll post my reults.

Comment

...and a good guess it is. Don't charge below freezing either. There's plenty of info out there about performance degradation in the cold but here's a quick graph that gives you and idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery%20Cold.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	144354

Comment

Originally posted by bubba g View Post
        I-- I didn't know the cold affected the battery..
        This was posted today in another topic in the Surrron forum.
        Cold weather related.

SolarBeaver77 commented
        18 hours ago today.
        : https://youtu.be/RkxWZVP8vpE?t=1014

Last edited by dirtman; 11-16-2021, 11:01 AM.

Comment

Cold battery not the issue. Charged it inside after it sat inside overnight, and the fastest a can get speedo to read is 45

Comment

Same tire pressures? Any other changes? When you hit 50 were you wearing a T shirt? And now do you have on a more bulky coat that is catching more wind? At those kind of speeds it really doesn't take much to slow things down. Grease being more stiff in the wheel bearings and on the chain will add a little drag.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
              Same tire pressures? Any other changes? When you hit 50 were you wearing a T shirt? And now do you have on a more bulky coat that is catching more wind? At those kind of speeds it really doesn't take much to slow things down. Grease being more stiff in the wheel bearings and on the chain will add a little drag.

it was a warm day when I tried it...

Comment

At those speeds all it takes is a 5 mph breeze blowing (or not blowing) the other direction. Real world 5 mph difference @ 50 mph is negligible.

Comment

Working...
                X