Occasionally after turning the key, everything works except the throttle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Occasionally after turning the key, everything works except the throttle

Like the title says, maybe every 20th turn of the ignition key, everything works (light comes on, speedo gauge counts up/down, USB outlet light comes on) EXCEPT, the throttle is unresponsive. In every instance, after I cycle the key off-on, the throttle works. Everything else works fine. Any ideas?

The throttle does not work immediately after turning the key on, you have to wait a few seconds for the screen to do its internal check and return to zero; are you waiting for the internal checks to be complete before you apply the throttle?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnKol View Post
      The throttle does not work immediately after turning the key on, you have to wait a few seconds for the screen to do its internal check and return to zero; are you waiting for the internal checks to be complete before you apply the throttle?
      Agreed! I found that if I turn it on and touch the throttle before it has initialized, the throttle will not work at all until I turn it back off, then on again and allow it to initialize.

Comment

I got problem like this too. Nearly every time I ride, the first time I stop the throttle won't work and regen braking cuts out. Cycle the key and everything is right as rain.

I don't know what causes it, but I suspect a loose connection. One time it did it not just on the first stop, but on EVERY stop. I pressed the data cable to the battery in real hard and that cured it from cutting out at every stop. It still does it the first stop of nearly every ride. It's a defect of some kind. As dangerous as it can be I've gotten used to it now.

Comment

Thanks all. Yep, if the throttle is not at full off during the first half sec or so after turning the key it will not respond to the throttle after all is booted up. Probably the controller wants to see the throttle is off at boot up before responding to it. Makes sense... it that was not the case and the throttle got stuck on, after turning the key and the controller was booted up the bike would then take off. Not ideal.

Comment

Seems to me that throttle not zeroed is a condition dangerous enough that it should have an accompanying audible alarm from the controller.
            R/C remotes have both audible and haptic warnings.

Comment

I have a very similar issue where after the initial acceleration the motor will not respond until it is power cycled. I have/do wait until the bike is completely powered up and I have spent quite a while checking connections when its in this state. Only the power cycling has fixed it and it corrects it every time.

Comment

Maybe you guys should leave the blink reader in line while you ride and when you have this problem count the blinks and see what’s up.

Comment

Working...
                X