Chi battery upgrades

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chi battery upgrades

I see Chi now has a compact gladiator that is 60v 52ah and is drop in without having to do any modifications.

The website says it will double your range. Does anyone have any experience with this one vs the gladiator max 60v 60ah and what can you expect in range and power differences between the two?

I have the EBMX 60 V 53 Ah battery, and I get a range of about 38 miles, whereas the stock battery gives me about 20.

Comment

Wow, 20 mi on stock batt? What kind of riding do u do?

Comment

I don't have a sense of whether you consider 20 miles a lot or not enough. I use the Sur Ron exclusively as a dirt bike, mostly black diamond trails; I have the throttle pinned on hill climbs, but rarely do one gets the chance to go full out on single track. I would expect someone that uses the Sur Ron exclusively on high-speed asphalt roads to get worse mileage.

Comment

Is there an advantage between the Chi 60 and the EBMX 60? The Chi is about $100 more.
          I have a 2022 X with a BAC 4000 and a bypass stock @ the moment.

Comment

I have a CBSR (their 1st batt). I believe it is 62ah. I get a SHIT TON of range out of it. I figure in real world terms I average about a mile per AH (at 60 volts). Probably more when I used that battery with the stock controller. But even now with the BAC4000 I get a lot of range. I feel like I would get around 32-36 with the stock battery (If I completely ran it down - in reality I would put on 30 miles and have 15-20% left over). I'm 6'2" 220lbs.

The battery you are thinking of buying (52ah?) has the advantage of having a way better discharge rate if you ever go with an aftermarket controller. I still use my CBSR with a BAC4000, but at really high power levels (+ sub 50% battery level) the bike will sometimes cutout (which is scary as shit). The Max you are looking at will handle any energy draw in the future from an aftermarket controller with no problem. That's pretty nice.

To get some sense of the range for a new battery... take the range you currently get with your riding style and divide that by the amp hours of the stock battery. Then just multiply the new battery's AH by that figure. It should get you ballpark.

But keep in mind it might be nice to have a bit less range with high discharge rate. I just picked up another battery from Chi - and I PROBABLY should have gone with a high discharge rate battery. I already have the CBSR... but I bought the Touring (70ah!). I just love having range over high energy draw. But I'm not jumping, racing, etc.

One other thing to consider is that if you are worried about having to "mod" your bike to make room for a battery... one of the aftermarket seat risers (from Luna or elsewhere), end up giving a lot of room for an aftermarket battery. I don't know how tall you are, but I would think anyone over 5'9" or so may actually prefer the seat riser... just food for thought... sorry I'm rambling.

Comment

Originally posted by Greylola View Post
              Is there an advantage between the Chi 60 and the EBMX 60? The Chi is about $100 more.
              The EBMX 60 costs $1885, the cheapest Chi 60 costs $2200, so the difference is more than $300.

One difference between the batteries is that the Chi is built with cylindrical 21700 cells, whereas EBMX uses pouch cells; I don't know how significant this difference is.

What I can attest to is that the EBMX battery looks absolutely professional, better than the stock one. Without having seen a Chi battery in person, just from the photos they appear to have been built in a garage, and that was one of the reasons I went with EBMX instead of Chi.

Comment

I saw a video showing that pouch cells held up better than cylindrical cells in fiscal abuse ie not catching fire on impact. I don’t know how much that matters in the real world. As I don’t see too many cases of e bikes bursting in flames. Cost wise, need to see bottom line of battery, shipping ($150), tax and are they in stock at the moment or pre order.

Comment

I got my battery directly from EBMX in Australia, even when all the US distributors were showing those batteries as being out of stock. Shipping is the same ($150) whether you order from Australia or from a US distributor, so there is nothing to gain waiting for US distributors to receive stock.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone, leaning toward going with the plug and play so I can still hit swap.

Comment

Working...
                    X