Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to get a high capacity 60 volt bat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to get a high capacity 60 volt bat.

Does anyone have one that can speak to the perceived additional runtime, cost, fitment, e.t.c. The reason is I often come home with 7% or less and its bad for the battery. I run a stock x controller.

I have heard good things about Chi battery, but no personal experience...

Comment

I went with the EBMX battery. Couldn’t be happier.

Comment

I was looking for a battery myself a couple of months ago, and I found three sources:
        1. Litespeed; too many complaints from people placing orders and batteries not being delivered
        2. Chi; they charge 25% restocking fee if you cancel or return the battery, so not doing business with them
        3. EBMX; by process of elimination, I went with them. Shipping is expensive ($150), but customer service is exceptional.
        Have had my 60V battery for a month now, the range is phenomenal (got 50 miles today vs. 20 that I usually get with the stock one), but the battery is an absolute nightmare to install and remove: there were times when I struggled for half an hour to put it in, and was reduced to tears trying to remove it. From what I can see from the specs, all aftermarket batteries are physically bigger than the stock one, but it seems EBMX went to the absolute limit without taking into account bike tolerances. If you never remove the battery, no issue, but if you plan on swapping it with the stock battery, prepare to curse a lot.

Comment

• MrBrownStone
          MrBrownStone commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad to hear your range had extended, mine as well is a real chore to get in and out. Take your time and see where it catches , it may take a certain angle to slide in or maybe modding your battery space.

• vigalass
          vigalass commented
          Editing a comment
          this is interesting. i have the Chi 60v 60 and it goes in and out with ease. in fact, i removed the stock foam spacers in the batt compartment per the install instructions and I wish i didn't. The battery was too loose in the compartment and was moving around on jumps. So i would up putting foam spacers back in to snug it up. Chi is easy in/out. That i can attest. Performance on the batt has been great but only using 1 month.

• JohnKol
          JohnKol commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting to hear that the Chi battery fits without issues, wish I knew that before I bought my EBMX.

I did remove the foam spacers in an attempt to make more space, but this did not have any effect; at least it allowed me to observe that the actual contact is between the battery edges and a couple of welds on the inside of the frame spars. The question I have been pondering is, do I dare take out some of that excess welding material so I can gain some space?

Just a thought...would it be feasible, with expectations of it only to be used in a limp mode/gethome mode, for those of us with a good 52 volt/11.5 AH batteries, to be used with the higher voltage Sur Ron and stock controller? Unplugging the big battery and than with an adapter plugging in the 52 volt battery? Right up front, I see the SR plug is 3 conductor, what's that about, besides positive and negative? If the 52 volt battery was fully charged, and ridden very gently, it would be better than walking. Some of my exploration rides on my BBSHD fattie take me unknown distances, and I am used to having a my Mini 6 AH along as a backup.

Comment

Originally posted by CPG View Post
          Just a thought...would it be feasible, with expectations of it only to be used in a limp mode/gethome mode, for those of us with a good 52 volt/11.5 AH batteries, to be used with the higher voltage Sur Ron and stock controller?
          Yes, that's theoretically possible: a 52V battery would be around 56V when fully charged, on the Sur Ron that probably equates to a 20% charge. Practically speaking though, how are you going to do this? Carry the extra battery with you? Where?

Right up front, I see the SR plug is 3 conductor, what's that about, besides positive and negative?
          No, the Sur Ron plug only has two conductors, a black and a red, where do you see a third one?

Comment

Just a thought...would it be feasible, with expectations of it only to be used in a limp mode/gethome mode, for those of us with a good 52 volt/11.5 AH batteries, to be used with the higher voltage Sur Ron and stock controller? Unplugging the big battery and than with an adapter plugging in the 52 volt battery? Right up front, I see the SR plug is 3 conductor, what's that about, besides positive and negative? If the 52 volt battery was fully charged, and ridden very gently, it would be better than walking. Some of my exploration rides on my BBSHD fattie take me unknown distances, and I am used to having a my Mini 6 AH along as a backup.
            Thats funny, I was just going to post and ask about thoughts on using a toro 60v 7ah batt for a carry it in backpack, hang backpack on a tree at the trail, kill yer batt, put on the backpack, and plug it in to ride home, with a longer cable comming right out of your backpack.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Toro-Fle...8675/308863278

for the 52v idea, you have to also consider that your smaller in ah, as well as lower in volts, so the usability will be less than you think. Even at 60v the lower ah bat will sag hard, eco only would help.
            Last edited by Jimwildman; 04-05-2022, 03:05 AM.

Comment

I only glanced at it when I plugged it in once when I first got it, guess I miss-looked ....I was excited! Just two conductors makes more sense. I have a 24" extension cord for my 52 V batteries, on my Montague and fat bike I strap the gethome battery to the rear rack, and also have used a pack with a hole for the cord to exit, so got that handled. If I do it, for sure it'd be better to get the proper voltage battery, something small like my Mini, maybe even secured to the top of the battery flip up cover.
              I purposely ran my battery down to it's cut off point, still on the first charge from new, under a moderate load, display indicating 17% capacity, it started cutting out but still ran if I reduced throttle quite a bit. I quit there and will never do it again, did the same with my other rides just to see where the low limit is, once. That about what others have experienced?

Comment

Working...
              X