Large battery volts display

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large battery volts display

It may be just me, but I am finding it very difficult to read the battery % of charge, when out in direct sunlight and/or wearing sunglasses. Plus it's small and I'm old, so I have one of these on the way:

Motorcycle 10-150V Digital Voltmeter Display Waterproof Voltage Q6T7

$10.99Unit price $10.99

Item number:125189060091

Since I removed my headlight, and just cut the wires and taped them over, as of now I plan to keep it simple, if possible, and just tap into them for a voltage reading, UNLESS of course they are not battery voltage but maybe stepped down to 12 VDC? I'll find out shortly, don't have my multi meter today. If not I'll poke around under the cover and try not to make any smoke while doing so.

Headlight is 12v,you could go to the controller and put wires to the battery input for voltage reading

Comment

It's wired directly to the battery input of the controller... headlight voltage lol, maybe you should have a pro work on your bike.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	fox40headset.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	150921 Click image for larger version

Name:	surroncockpit.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	150922

Comment

After working on off grid solar and wind systems for 30+ years, with multi ton battery systems, I think I can puzzle out where to wire in at battery voltage! But point taken, not a 60 volt headlite., duh. When I first heard how loud the horn was, I thought maybe it was a 12 VDC horn being operated at battery voltage, it's louder than my car horn. I could also just carry my reading glasses, so I could read the damn stock indicator!

Just ordered a Chi battery systems "deluxe" charger adjustable amp rates and finishing charge percent, like the LUNA one I've used for years on my bikes. I'll use it, at the 4 amp setting, when driving somewhere in my car, with it's 300 watt sine wave inverter, at the 2 amp setting at home when not in a hurry/overnight, and occasionally the 12 amp setting when in a hurry. 80 to 90% much of the time, 100% rarely and for balancing purposes, the same way I've treated my other batteries, which seems to work based on how well they have held up. Balancing issues asides, there doesn't seem to be any downside to low rate charges as long as there is time.
        Last edited by CPG; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by CPG View Post
          After working on off grid solar and wind systems for 30+ years, with multi ton battery systems, I think I can puzzle out where to wire in at battery voltage! But point taken, not a 60 volt headlite., duh. When I first heard how loud the horn was, I thought maybe it was a 12 VDC horn being operated at battery voltage, it's louder than my car horn. I could also just carry my reading glasses, so I could read the damn stock indicator!

Just ordered a Chi battery systems "deluxe" controller, adjustable amp rates and finishing charge percent, like the LUNA one I've used for years on my bikes. I'll use it, at the 4 amp setting, when driving somewhere in my car, with it's 300 watt sine wave inverter, at the 2 amp setting at home when not in a hurry/overnight, and occasionally the 12 amp setting when in a hurry. 80 to 90% much of the time, 100% rarely and for balancing purposes, the same way I've treated my other batteries, which seems to work based on how well they have held up. Balancing issues asides, there doesn't seem to be any downside to low rate charges as long as there is time.
          Given your experience, can you recommend a way to charge an ebike battery off of a solar setup? I want to stay DC to DC or otherwise i'd lose a ton in the conversion process. I have a Renogy 40amp charge controller and 300w solar and 300ah of agm batteries. My setup is configured as a 12V system but I'd need 54 volts to charge this battery. Thanks!

Comment

• Ebike CNX
            Ebike CNX commented
            Editing a comment
            I charge my SurRon and other eBike with a 400W panel and 40-72V step up MPPT boost controller using a charging station I built outside on my water pumphouse roof as shown on YouTube https://youtu.be/VjnYeoK6wCo

I charge my own bikes direct off the nearest wall plug, my place has 900 watts of micro hydro, 2500 watts of wind turbine power, and 4500 watts of solar, all grid tied. I have a large surplus of power at all times, all I pay is the 5 buck a month basic fee. No propane, unlike 100% of my rural neighbors, all electric. I get what you're saying about keeping it all DC, but it may be simpler to just take the 10% or so conversion hit and just charge using your existing wall charger (I assume you have one) via a good quality (MorningStar, Magnum, are good ones not Harbor freight crap...) inverter. Size it to meet the charger loads with a small excess capacity, don't get a 5,000 watt inverter to run a wall charger that will use maybe 300 watts! I did have a guy, (now retired/out of business) that was well known for decades in the off grid world for designing trick gear, and for around $250.00 he made me a 12 VDC to 58.8 VDC converter for my small light sport plane. I can charge my batteries while flying, at a 2 or 3 amp rate, and it auto shuts off. I have no idea what it's efficency is but probably pretty high, all in a little box a few inches square . Some electronics geek needs to do something similar andmarket it to us e bikers! Not rocket science, he gave me the impression it was dirt simple, for him anyway. There ought to be a way to rattle the cages of guys like him, get their attention, get them to market something similar, to make a few bucks. Back to your situation: just get an inverter, you have all the other stuff needed already.

Comment

• Ebike CNX
            Ebike CNX commented
            Editing a comment
            You can easily do D.C. to D.C. with a step up boost MPPT controller to charge outdoors or camping. I use a big rigid 400W panel though, but camping it would work with flexible panels. The setup I built is a charging station for any battery up to 72V using the 400W MPPT here...https://youtu.be/VjnYeoK6wCo

I got my new volt meter, tried it out on a old 12 volt battery and as expected it worked as advertised. So, got ready to install it on the SR and since I was taking the battery out anyway, tried it on the main + - b attery socket leads, (polarity correct) and it just flickered a bit and has not worked since! For roughly $10.00, I just ordered another one instead of hassling with a refund, as it's size is perfect plus it's waterproof. Supposed to be good for up to 150 VDC so the application is correct, the replacement should be in any day. After all my whining about not being able to make out the display % in direct sunlight, I realized the bar graph display does similar, and I can easily see it, but never noticed it earlier! But I still like the idea of a digital volt display better.

Comment

• Ebike CNX
            Ebike CNX commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes the lithium SOC can be accurately measured by Volts and that tiny meter on the SurRon is so hard to read, especially when riding. At least it has one though, the Talaria bike has to open the battery lid and press a button to see bars light up. Please post a video if you get your handlebar mounted volunteer working as I would like to do same thing.
        Working...
        X