Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Caliper Mounts: Are There Alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Caliper Mounts: Are There Alternatives?

Seeking some input or ideas!

I had a bike shop upgrade the fork on my Sur Ron from the RST Killah to a RockShox Boxxer RC spring fork last year. Turns out that the mounting points for the caliper mounts on this fork are just a tiny bit higher than the ones on the RSTs. As a result, only about 4-5mm of the brake pads are making contact with the 203mm rotor and you can clearly see some channeling:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	AM-JKLXzvhw1uJLPTK_AngwQhGokKdq78Zimul0qlOt8PCavetDPg4pNaLntE7js7ju53FPsg-9uGZcOvfcRBGI8dBpR0PR9znaPTxQ2LSUhCruasSRAA5Q4TUYoTKi9qz4oav3siyO31mwfQScERBXUdzhGNA=w978-h1304-no?authuser=0.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	150925

I did notice that there wasn't as much braking power as I expected on the front, but I never really investigated, as I'm mostly on dirt and tend to use the rear brake a bit more.

Seems to me I just need to find a caliper mount that allows the caliper to sit 6mm-7mm lower than it does not. I'm hesitant to try to alter the caliper I have, so I'm wondering if anyone has run into a smaller version of the Jshoubike F/R 180 mount that the Sur Ron came with?

Not sure what year your Boxxers are but the new ones are 200mm rotor direct fit so no brake adapter required

Comment

Originally posted by ildiavolorosso View Post
      Seeking some input or ideas!

I had a bike shop upgrade the fork on my Sur Ron from the RST Killah to a RockShox Boxxer RC spring fork last year. Turns out that the mounting points for the caliper mounts on this fork are just a tiny bit higher than the ones on the RSTs. As a result, only about 4-5mm of the brake pads are making contact with the 203mm rotor and you can clearly see some channeling:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	AM-JKLXzvhw1uJLPTK_AngwQhGokKdq78Zimul0qlOt8PCavetDPg4pNaLntE7js7ju53FPsg-9uGZcOvfcRBGI8dBpR0PR9znaPTxQ2LSUhCruasSRAA5Q4TUYoTKi9qz4oav3siyO31mwfQScERBXUdzhGNA=w978-h1304-no?authuser=0.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	150925

I did notice that there wasn't as much braking power as I expected on the front, but I never really investigated, as I'm mostly on dirt and tend to use the rear brake a bit more.

Seems to me I just need to find a caliper mount that allows the caliper to sit 6mm-7mm lower than it does not. I'm hesitant to try to alter the caliper I have, so I'm wondering if anyone has run into a smaller version of the Jshoubike F/R 180 mount that the Sur Ron came with?
      Surron rotor is 203mm,looks like you run a 180 mm disc

Comment

Originally posted by Kauaiguy View Post

Surron rotor is 203mm,looks like you run a 180 mm disc
        Thanks. This is definitely a 203mm rotor. It's the mount that's the problem here, as the mounting points on the new forks are taller than the RST Killahs. So I think I either need a shorter mount, or a larger rotor.

Comment

just try directly mounting the caliper to the fork

Comment

Working...
          X