Multi amp/% of charge Chi charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multi amp/% of charge Chi charger

For any others needing a bit better charger (more charging options anyway) and/or wanting to charge a Sur Ron with an inverter of a certain size. In my case, I have a 300 watt sine wave (probably not needed, square wave would probably work also, but I prefer a sine wave type, MorningStar, a big name in the alt energy world) in my Prius, and have used it for several years to charge my ebikes on trips, or even while driving to a local ride. With the hybrid Prius, I can park the car and leave it turned on, gas engine off, and eat breakfast or whatever. When the big traction battery (it's a plug in, so a bigger battery than a regular Prius) that supplies the 12 volt accessory battery thru a voltage converter reaches a low point, the gas engine starts and runs for a very few minutes than auto shuts off. No worries of not being able to start the car because of a dead battery, and the overall efficiency is very high, nothing like idling a conventional car engine anyway, I've heard it's actually better than any other ICE powered generator in fact, leave it to the Prius engineers to get every possible watt out of a drop of gas. If I'm driving down the road, it's pretty much free charge power.

Here's the 120 VAC watts used by the charger, as measured at the inverter outlet
    2 amps: 155 w 4 amps: 286 w 10 amps:485 w 12 amps: 699 watts The 4 amp setting is what I'll use on the road, tests show my 300 watt inverter can actually produce about 325 watts continuous, so 286 watts will be no problem.

Like the "deluxe" LUNA 52 volt charger I have for my other bikes, this Chi charger offers 80, 90 or 100% SOC shutoff, I like having that option , along with being able to choose my amps, based on the need for recharge speed, or not. I usually charge overnight, at the lowest amp setting possible. So I now have three Sur Ron chargers, a 2 amp Gritshift very basic charger, the new Chi one, plus the 10 amp charger that came with the bike. I am selling both of the chargers I won't be using, if anyone is needing an additional one.
Working...
X