Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pismocycler
    commented on 's reply
    vigalass- thanks for the comment and again for those links. As an update I found the kick stand position thing sometimes worked and other times not, but somehow that sensor is involved. The dealer I am working with (Hyperrides in Sacramento, CA) sent me another throttle but it measured very close to the one on the bike so nothing really resolved. I went ahead and installed the Kaniwaba pedal kit which requires remounting of the kick stand sensor and two things happened. The kickstand sensor stopped working (don't know why) and the bike cold start problem went away. So it looks like a kickstand sensor issue all along, even though the bike gives the blink error codes for throttle. This is a bug in the Sur-ron controller. Still have to confirm this is real but tests so far show I can start the bike after being off overnight. Just that now I have no kick stand safety (which is OK for now if the biker runs).

I did go ahead and procure a used Luna Sur-ron controller via Ebay. Just don't know if it will work with throttles having an offset voltage of 0.8 to 0.9 V. This controller was from a Luna version sold back in Feb of this year and the owner reports he had no problems. As a last resort I can build a throttle tweaking circuit (published here on this forum) where I can adjust the offset voltage of any throttle back to 0.6 V if necessary.

• vigalass
    commented on 's reply
    man- this sound horrible. at these prices you don't need nonsense like this. I have a 2022 X as well. I ran the stock controller for about 250 miles and experienced nothing like what you describe. In fact, i ran flawlessly. that may imply a bug. i need my stock controller for when i sell the bike lest i'd offer to send it over to test it out. In california there has to be hundreds of stocker controllers for sale for $150 bucks. Everyone upgrades to asi and then dumps them. Although, i'm keeping mine so i'm contradicting myself.

One thought- i'm sure by now you've played with the stock programming cable. that cable allows you to shut off various safety sensors for the brakes and i think the kickstand too. Not sure if that could trick the controller. Good luck. This sucks.

• pismocycler
    replied
    Originally posted by vigalass View Post
    i don't know for sure but have to belive the luna is a stock setup. if you look up the motor and surron controller it is sold as a pair from the manufacturer in china. I think luna only assembles. they answer the phone when i call.

here you can read about the Surron motors/controller pair. The manuf has a website too ( https://www.sur-ron.com/en/power.html)
    https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicle...cle-companies/
    My understanding is that Luna Cycles has a Sur-ron version built for them. I think they were importing this version long before other dealers in the US were importing through Sur-ron in Canada, but I could be mistaken. Whether the Luna version is tweaked or otherwise tuned differently is a matter of speculation, and I cannot get a confirmation one way or the other from Luna experts that post here on this forum. Anecdotally, an EBay vendor selling surplus Luna controllers (they have Luna Cyles stickers on them) has told me they are no different than any other Surron controller.

My interest stems from the fact my brand new Surron X (purchased through Canada via a US dealer not Luna cycles) has a weird cold restart issue where the bike will not start after a long (> 1 hour) power off delay, and to restart the bike requires power on with the kickstand down and a delay of 10 to 15 sec before moving the kickstand up and then you get power at the throttle. We originally diagnosed this to a potential throttle issue but now I am not so sure. Because once power is restored to the throttle, we have no problem running the bike under various conditions until it is turned off again and left dormant. Then it will not restart unless the stand is down and you wait the delay. A royal PIA as you cannot remove the kickstand sensor; if you do you can never start the bike again. I know that previous Sur-rons did not have this issue so the question remains if this was programmed on purpose by the factory (for 2022 models) or is it a bug. We cannot get any straight answers from the factory. I know for a fact they made recent controller changes because my bike was limited to 15 MPH in both eco and sport modes with the green/black wire intact. This is down from all the other vids and info I have seen relative to the Sur-ron speed limitations. So did they make other "safety" related changes as well? I was looking for a Luna controller with the hope that this cold start bug may not be present in a older issue controller.

BTW, thanks very much for the links. One of them has email addresses of high level folks at the factory and I am going to try to contact them directly to see if I can get any straight answers.

Leave a comment:

• vigalass
    replied
    i don't know for sure but have to belive the luna is a stock setup. if you look up the motor and surron controller it is sold as a pair from the manufacturer in china. I think luna only assembles. they answer the phone when i call.

here you can read about the Surron motors/controller pair. The manuf has a website too ( https://www.sur-ron.com/en/power.html)
    https://evnerds.com/electric-vehicle...cle-companies/

Leave a comment:

• pismocycler
    started a topic Sur-ron controllers

Sur-ron controllers

Is there a difference in the programming or performance of the Luna Sur-ron controllers and the stock Sur-ron controllers sold by the Canadian company for the US market as stock? I understand Luna Cycles has a Sur-ron built for them special, but are there any differences between the Luna version and other Sur-rons? I ask because I may need to replace my stock controller and wonder if I can use the Luna versions that are being sold on EBay and other places.
Working...
X