Kaniwaba Pedal Kit - Chain Tension Varies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kaniwaba Pedal Kit - Chain Tension Varies

I got the Kaniwaba pedal kit installed. Seems fine so far, except I notice the chain to the freewheel and split sprocket varies as I turn the wheel. It varies between pretty loose and super tight. Anyone who has this pedal kit have the same issue? Is this normal?

Yes, mine is the same way. I upgraded the chain to a 420 and it’s a little better/quieter but still not perfect. It’d be nice if there was some way of adding a hydraulic tensioner to it so it would maintain equal tension around a full rotation but my guess is that would complicate a somewhat easy/simple setup as it currently is.

-John

Comment

Hey thanks for responding - really appreciate it. I also swapped in the KMC K710 chain for better durability and the noise is almost negligible except when the chain tightens and expands, which I can feel while riding on the pedals and hear it very slightly (like an oscillating rubbing noise). Glad to hear it’s not just me though - so I guess it’s normal? I just don’t want some accident to happen….

Comment

I have a Kaniwaba pedal kit and mine does not do this. The distance between the jack shaft and the pedal shaft does not change, so the the chain should not be tightening. I would check the fitment of the chain on the sprockets. Sounds like it might be binding or the chain is too tight for one of the sprockets.

Comment

Get some Pegals for it. Nice being able to switch back to pegs for riding off road.

Comment

Thanks Pismocycler! Interesting…. The chain looks fine on the sprockets…I wonder what is causing it…

Comment

Originally posted by Quinc View Post
              Get some Pegals for it. Nice being able to switch back to pegs for riding off road.

I don’t offroad

Comment

Originally posted by Tantalus0006 View Post

I don’t offroad

Then you are missing out! But I bet these bikes are fun as hell as a super moto. :)

Comment

Originally posted by Quinc View Post

Then you are missing out! But I bet these bikes are fun as hell as a super moto. :)
                  I bet! I’m in NYC tho so concrete jungle provides plenty of obstacles

Comment

Thanks Pismocycler! Interesting…. The chain looks fine on the sprockets…I wonder what is causing it…
                    If the chain is not binding, then maybe you free wheel sprocket is not free wheeling smoothly. With the bike at rest, can you spin the pedals backward without any friction? If not, could be the free wheel sprocket.

Comment

Originally posted by pismocycler View Post

If the chain is not binding, then maybe you free wheel sprocket is not free wheeling smoothly. With the bike at rest, can you spin the pedals backward without any friction? If not, could be the free wheel sprocket.
                      Yeah pedals back smooth. I took off the chain for now and put a straight edge up against the freewheel sprocket and see that the split sprocket is not exactly aligned. Will fine tune that and come back here to report results - that may be what it is. Should have used the straight edge trick sooner - never seen that as a recommendation anywhere…

Comment

Chain is perfectly aligned. I tried a new sprocket and the tension still varies as it spins…. I am kind of at a loss here and not sure what to do. Will reach out to Kaniwaba.

Comment

Chain is perfectly aligned. I tried a new sprocket and the tension still varies as it spins…. I am kind of at a loss here and not sure what to do. Will reach out to Kaniwaba.
                          keep us updated!

Comment

Originally posted by pismocycler View Post

So further experimentation on this… I did this with two sprockets (same types) and different chains with same result. One thing I notice is that when the chain is at its tightest, there is some resistance in pedaling backwards.

Comment

Here is the response I got from Kaniwaba in case anyone is interested:

This is normal for the first 50 - 100 miles. Afterwards the tension will go away. What you can try is loosening the side bracket bolts a bit on both sides and spin the wheel a couple of times and then tighten the bolts back. This can help relieve the chain tension.

I would not be concerned about the jackshaft bearings, the good thing about using the one speed bicycle chain is that it acts like fuse, and it will snap before anything else is damaged!

Comment

• X-Nitro
                                X-Nitro commented
                                Editing a comment
                                That guy is FULL OF IT the pedal kit has destroyed LOTS of jackshaft bearings, watta idiot.
                            Working...
                            X