X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear rack recommendation for X/MX

Hey all,

im
    just trying to do as much reaearch as possible before pulling the trigger on an X bike. Was hoping some of you could take a look at these and your rear fram and chime in as to any of these would work for a rear rack it’d be for city road use only

Blackburn Outpost Fat Tire Rack:

https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/ou...QaAkR9EALw_wcB

“It’s disc brake compatible, mounts to braze-ons, can use an extra-long quick release skewer, or the included seat stay clamps. Blackburn claims the Outpost Fat Bike Rack can fit any wheel size from 26×1” to 29×4”, which is really quite impressive. The rack is made of lightweight aluminum and has several tie down points as well as a mount for a rear light. Blackburn mixed things up a bit with some added colour, a welcome sight in a sea of black bike racks.”

Old Man Mountain Phat Sherpa

https://fat-bike.com/2012/10/old-man...rpa-rear-rack/

“From asymmetrical frames to seat stays with no eyelets, quick releases, and thru-axles, it’s actually a bit overwhelming looking at all of the p options.”

TopPeak Fat Tourist

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...er-tourist-fat

Topeak’s UNI Super Tourist Fat rack offers vertical adjustment to fit 24” and 26” fat bike wheels, and the lower legs of the rack have a few different positions to work with, depending on the location of the lower braze-ons. The legs can be mounted at an angle to send the entire rack further back, as pictured, when heel clearance is an issue.
    Last edited by Rd929; 10-16-2019, 02:15 AM.

Big thumbs up for the Topeak Rack. Great weight capacity and versatility with their quicktrack locking accessory bags. I've got the large trunk bag with fold out panniers and the discontinued briefcase bag to bring extra batteries. Bags slide and lock securely in 1 second. Longest single ride so far is 174 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by zmarkjam View Post
      Big thumbs up for the Topeak Rack. Great weight capacity and versatility with their quicktrack locking accessory bags. I've got the large trunk bag with fold out panniers and the discontinued briefcase bag to bring extra batteries. Bags slide and lock securely in 1 second. Longest single ride so far is 174 miles.
      That does seem like a very cool feature to have that lock in rail. Any idea if it would work with an x series bike? It seems like it would still mount on the rear axle fine and give enough room for suspension

Comment

I don't own a Sur-Ron, but have previously owned several full suspension motorcycles with panniers / luggage bags.

IMHO, it would be a mistake to try to mount a bicycle rear rack on the Sur-Ron's rear swingarm, as sprung weight (if that's what you are planning).

Instead, the more trued-and-true motorcycle method would be to use the available, rearmost bolts on the main and seat frame, tied to triangle-shaped pannier/bag mounts, with a cross-bike bracket tieing the back triangle corners together.

It would look kinda like these racks that tie to the frame and not the suspension:

Click image for larger version  Name:	5_bf7ee716-8607-43cc-a70b-d69bfd93ef06_1024x1024@2x.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	95411

Click image for larger version

Name:	16_hlf_load_gepaecktraeger_0804.jpg
Views:	2103
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	95422

As far as I know, nobody has taken this on - as in, creating accessories for the Sur-Ron that take it out of the toy category it is in now, and into a outstanding bang for the buck AND practical vehicle.

But, I guess there's not enough Sur-Ron sales volume, or I'm way wrong ... or something.
        Last edited by ncmired; 10-16-2019, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ncrkd View Post
          I don't own a Sur-Ron, but have previously owned several full suspension motorcycles with panniers / luggage bags.

IMHO, it would be a mistake to try to mount a bicycle rear rack on the Sur-Ron's rear swingarm, as sprung weight (if that's what you are planning).

Instead, the more trued-and-true motorcycle method would be to use the available, rearmost bolts on the main and seat frame, tied to triangle-shaped pannier/bag mounts, with a cross-bike bracket tieing the back triangle corners together.

It would look kinda like this rack:

Click image for larger version Name:	5_bf7ee716-8607-43cc-a70b-d69bfd93ef06_1024x1024@2x.jpg Views:	0 Size:	74.9 KB ID:	95411

As far as I know, nobody has taken this on - as in, creating accessories for the Sur-Ron that take it out of the toy category it is in now, and into a outstanding bang for the buck AND practical vehicle.

But, I guess there's not enough Sur-Ron sales volume, or I'm way wrong ... or something.
          Unless there's some bolts that the seat padding is covering (which would be great, if someone can confirm) I'm not sure how one like that would mount. The bolt by the motor drive would be nice to attach, but it's also very low. So that rack would need some extra length to rise higher near the actual seat, and back as well?

I completely agree that the unsprung weight mount is not going to be good, but to rephrase or clarify this is used for a 1.5 mile commute on bike paths so it's very well paved. This by no means would ever be used for any kind of trail or off-road.

Comment

Originally posted by Rd929 View Post
            Unless there's some bolts that the seat padding is covering (which would be great, if someone can confirm) I'm not sure how one like that would mount. The bolt by the motor drive would be nice to attach, but it's also very low. So that rack would need some extra length to rise higher near the actual seat, and back as well?
            Yep, the rack would have to stretch back a ways. I've added a second picture of what it could look like.
            I completely agree that the unsprung weight mount is not going to be good, but to rephrase or clarify this is used for a 1.5 mile commute on bike paths so it's very well paved. This by no means would ever be used for any kind of trail or off-road.
            That's good. Apologies that I'm really not helping. Would you be able to use the disc brake caliper and the shock pivot bolt points? I notice that the optional rear fender has holes in the mounting tabs that also might be usable, and move the rack back and out from under the seat frame:

Click image for larger version  Name:	light_bee_rear_fender_2___68853.1549500162.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.9 KB ID:	95424

I'll shut up now and hope a Sur-Ron owner chimes in.
            Last edited by ncmired; 10-16-2019, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• Rd929
              Rd929 commented
              Editing a comment
              Who makes the rack that you added? Something like that with longer arms would be perfect.

The holes on the rear fender, do you mean the ones to the left of the bolt for the hub? If so, is that any better than using that main bolt? I’ll have to look at the shock pivot point again

• ncmired
              ncmired commented
              Editing a comment
              The second rack is a custom fit for a Riese & Müller "Load" full suspension cargo bike - probably stupid-expensive. Somebody like Blackburn could crank out a custom rack for the Sur-Ron, given enough volume (I suspect). A "one-off" from somebody like Hallett (http://www.halletthandbuiltcycles.com/racks.html) would probably be too expensive.

On that add-on rear fender, yep, the holes aft of the axle hole - you'd likely have to fabricate a similar tab anyway, wouldn't you? Unless you just drill a new hole in the swingarm - dunno if/where there's room.
              Last edited by ncmired; 10-16-2019, 02:06 PM.

Why not just try mounting the Blackburn on the axle hilenlike the rear fender does? I mean I guess as long as it actually mounts and it isn’t going to swivel forward or back. I could always strap a 25lb plate in there and take it for a ride and see what happens. I think it would be a seat that actually has shocks itself too. For actual off road or MTB this would be out of the question but this is a very leisurely and urban environment where a pull-behind trailer is far more dangerous since people don’t use them here and people aren’t looking for them

Comment

I was thinking about busting out the welder and adding a small rack to the rear fender. The only thing holding me back Is how small the bags need to be to not touch the ground on turns.

Comment

Why not just try mounting the Blackburn on the axle hilenlike the rear fender does? I mean I guess as long as it actually mounts and it isn’t going to swivel forward or back. I could always strap a 25lb plate in there and take it for a ride and see what happens. I think it would be a seat that actually has shocks itself too. For actual off road or MTB this would be out of the question but this is a very leisurely and urban environment where a pull-behind trailer is far more dangerous since people don’t use them here and people aren’t looking for them
                So the seat I'm actually looking at, does have shocks itself. So yea for MTB or trail stuff it would absolutely be not feasible. So you're right, it should be fine as long as it's mounted tight enough

Comment

Originally posted by voodoojar View Post
                  I was thinking about busting out the welder and adding a small rack to the rear fender. The only thing holding me back Is how small the bags need to be to not touch the ground on turns.
                  Andrew on the FB group simply took a plate that fit, drilled holes to match the mounting, and had it extend out the back and mounted it between the frame and the seat in order to make an extended seat. This is what I was considering, I just need to find someone who has welding skills. If you're willing to do that and weld a metal plate and either cut out sections of the plate to match a universal bike rack, or weld one to the metal plate, I would certainly pay you for it (or anyone else for that matter)

Comment

Working...
                  X