Shimano FC E 5000 crank arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimano FC E 5000 crank arms

I came across these Shimano E bike square taper crank arms in 3 lengths for $13.99 set. IDK how they differ from the FC E6000 175mm cranks I lready have ( and are hard to find now). But at that price i intend to find out.
    https://blueskycycling.com/collectio...-crank-arm-set

Thanks! Been looking for a set of 175mm cranks. Picked them up on eBay...
    MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
    2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11
    2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive
    2018 Surly ECR 1x7
    1991 Schwinn Crosspoint 7spd (BBS02B)

Comment

I finally stuck the 170mm E5000 on ny Gary Fisher Solstice BBSHD. I was removing the 175mm E6000 cranks.
      The $14/pair E5000 170mm cranks weigh 25g. more each than the $70 /pair of 175mm E6000. ( I paid $35/pair for mine).
      Top speed went form 33mph to 36mph because I can now spin a little over 100rpm. They clear the BBSHD just fine. I think they're a little wider Q factor but not much. Less worry about pedal strikes on traffic circles.
      The downside will be when I'm riding unpowered in the 2 lowest crosschained gears. I use these on pedestrian ramps for slow climbing. I wont; have the long cranks to help me hump the big heavy comfort E bike up the hill. I think my 66 year old knees will thank me after long rides.The low price and extra metal seems like a good upgrade from the Bafang stuff.
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 09-22-2019, 10:03 AM.

Comment

• Rider
        Rider commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting that you went back to the size of the stock Bafang cranks. At 6’2” to 6’3” on a good day (lol) I find that the longer 175mm gives me so much more leg power and allows me to spin easier. The 170mm Bafang length seems too short for my size. I’ve been using E-assist to get in shape and back to pedal, so leg power at the crank is key for me. After 3 years of E-assist riding, I’m back to pedal now and loving it, other than one around town commuter style E-build (Schwann Crosspoint). Now that I’m pedaling more I’m also losing weight at a healthy rate of about 1-2 pounds a month. Oh happy days! Light bikes and lighter body feels so good.

I'm 6'1" and don't have a long inseam for my hieght, so I can go either way. Without the motor i always prefer 175mm. My lightweightXC bike has 175mm. I have a small frame bike for guests and the 170 could end up there. I can't say they're better just different. I went from 250# to 198#, but the climate, distance, and traffic here favors the E bike.

Here's what I've found regarding this. But this will differ for people with different height, pedaling styles etc.
      175mm cranks- More power when standing to climb ( not recommended for e bikes due to low rpm load).
      Can add more power to hold the same rpm for slight inclines or headwinds by using the ankles at the the top and bottom of the stroke. This requires some practice and training for most riders. With 170 mm you would need to downshift and either spin faster or go slower. E bikes like RPMs.

Since I climb pedestrian overpasses with power off, and i'm used to adding the extra power for short intervals I miss both of these factors.
      175mm cranks are less efficient due to needing to raise the leg higher on the back side of stroke. There is a lot more power available if you lift the back leg instead of using the other leg to raise it, but again this is a matter of practice and traing and more of an issue for a non powered bike. I tried 180mm cranks on my XC bike and this became painfully obvious.

170mm is more efficient, easier on the knees for many riders. If it allows you to spin faster you get more top speed. Doesn't require any special technique or training aside from spinning ( although it stilll helps). Forces you to downshift more often. Less pedal strikes on corners. E bikes tend to be wide at the pedals and if you pedal through turns ( like traffic circles, and roundabouts) this can be a serious consideration on some bikes.

Of course if you just throttle around it doesn't matter what cranks you have.
      Last edited by Retrorockit; 09-28-2019, 09:11 AM.

Comment

I found a nice piece on eBay recently but can't be sure if I should order it or not. Right now I'm staying in Spain and never ordered anything from eBay during my stay in here so please contact me if there is anyone living in Europe with delivery experience from eBay. I will not be able to return back home until I find an available property for sale in Alicante for one of my clients and it can take a very long time.

Comment

I just got the E5000s in 170mm. They are definitely beefier than the Bafang arm that I stripped at the pedal. The problem is that the drive side doesn't fit with a Luna Eclipse chain ring. I need to grind the arm to clear the ring mounting bolts..or add a spacer?

Comment

Maybe button head capscrews would clear?

Comment

Working...
            X