New 2018 Salsa Blackborow Off-Road Exploration ExpeditionUtility Fat Bike

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New 2018 Salsa Blackborow Off-Road Exploration ExpeditionUtility Fat Bike

Happened to be looking at the Salsa Cycles website recently and spotted the Blackborow. WOW! Not a cheap bike or cheap build, but the frame can be bought separately, albeit at LARGE price as well.

What a beast! It's just screaming out to be electrified...

http://salsacycles.com/bikes/blackborow

Where did you see the frame being available for separate purchase? I can find Blackborow's in their 2016 config which was a different design and not a long tail.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyPit View Post
      Where did you see the frame being available for separate purchase? I can find Blackborow's in their 2016 config which was a different design and not a long tail.
      Go to the Salsa link above, then click on "Build Kit". The frame only is listed as $1,799!

Comment

• calfee20
        calfee20 commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree with all of your comments. It is a nice looking bike.

Originally posted by Rider View Post
      Go to the Salsa link above, then click on "Build Kit". The frame only is listed as $1,799!
      Huh I see that now. Before I did, I contacted Salsa directly. Here is the response I got:

The new version of the Blackborow will be available as a frameset and will have an MSRP of $1,299.
      He either made a mistake or the web site did. Either way, I wound up stumbling upon a Lynskey prototype fat bike frame that I grabbed and will use for my BBSHD expedition bike project.

Comment

• Rider
        Rider commented
        Editing a comment
        Well $1,299 is much more reasonable, but still expensive... It sure does look great though!

I didn't know Lynskey made a Cargo Fat Bike? All I see is a basic normal Titanium Fat Bike at even crazier prices and no special look.
        Last edited by Rider; 10-19-2017, 01:03 PM.

Salsa got back to me and the web site is in error. Its $1299. I am waiting to hear if that includes the rack. For a quality dedicated frame like that, its worth the money.

The Lynskey frame I purchased is not a cargo design. Its a fat bike frame. I can do front and rear racks and, coupled to four 30+L panniers (already own 'em) and top rack trunks I can get one hell of a lot of stuff up on wheels. The only Lynskey fat frame you will see is the Fatskey, which is similar but not the same as the frame Lynskey labeled a prototype that I purchased. As I understand it, these were a very limited run for a particular distributor. Biggest visible change is a brace going from top to seat tube.

I didn't pay anywhere remotely near what their listed MSRP is. If you look on Fleabay their frames are being sold by them for around $1k new. Either they are clearing out inventory, the MSRPs are just for show or they are perhaps going out of business. I have no idea either way just speculating.

Comment

The Salsa Blackborow with rack and fork for $1,299 is much more reasonable. One thing I initially liked about this unique utility frame is that it comes in the 3 different sizes.

I will say it is the best looking off-road utility/camping/fishing/hunting frame I have come across. For me, it would require yet a third wheel set. This bike with a Rohloff might make me happy for the rest of my life! ;-)

Comment

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          100 mm BB means a BBSHD and I am quite sure it will not fit inside the Triangle. The curve of the downtube also means the motor will hang down quite a bit.

• MoneyPit
          MoneyPit commented
          Editing a comment
          @calfee20: good catch. Cyclone inside? Looks like a possibility. BTW I asked Salsa if the rack is included in the frame price and yes it is.

Rig up a way to mount a BBSXX between the seat tube and the rear wheel. Then run a short chain up to it and carbon belt to the rear wheel. That will be different.

Comment

You could run a LIFT-MTB kit on it with a ISCG adaptor if it doesn't already have a ISCG mount. That would be one heck of a bike packing/camping/hunting rig with electric assist for climbing steep grades and/or hauling gear and/or hauling out your kill on that huge rear rack.

Comment

Maybe Santa will be good to me this year? I've got a Cyclone 3K just aching to be mounted on that frame.

Comment

pliebenberg Post pics if you do. I am thinking of doing a Blackborow after my current fat 2WD build is completed.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyPit View Post
                pliebenberg Post pics if you do. I am thinking of doing a Blackborow after my current fat 2WD build is completed.
                2WD? I hope you do a build thread and report on how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

2WD? I hope you do a build thread and report on how it works.
                  Sure... good idea.

I have already done one on what was once a Sondors, with two 750w fat Bafang motors, 35a controllers, synch'd PAS and brake cutoffs via custom cables. Also two 52v batteries. 4.2Kw when fully charged. It is silent and takes off like a rocket. Throttle on the front is an acquired skill to avoid powerslides from stop lights. A 60T front chainring lets me pedal at up to 32 mph w/ the rear fixed 16T cog. Front+rear Axiom Fatliner racks.

Its my daily commuter (built it in March and on track for 4000 miles + by year end) but even though 4000 watts means it can climb any hill, its optimized for flat ground. When I return home after a year working in flat Central California, my very steep-hill'd neighborhood would take a toll on those geared motors I think, even if they have so far proven to be just fine. So I am doing a gen2 that can eat beyond-category grades forever...

Luna hot rod BBSHD in the back, another Luna fat Bafang 750 in the front, Again brake cutoffs and PAS will work for both motors (I'll be using Magura MT5e's as I did before) , single throttle for both motors this time to conserve real estate even though I prefer them independent. Single big 25R battery for the two motors as charging two is a pain on a daily driver. Front + rear racks. Titanium Lynskey prototype short-wheelbase fat frame I scored a deal on.

With both racks, it'll be close to a cargo bike on its own. I'd consider it more of a utility/daily driver bike and the Blackborow, with that big rear double rack and a front rack added on (new forks needed to make that happen) would be capable of a Costco run with that same motor setup.

... or perhaps a Cyclone. Fitment TBD. With Luna's new ASI controllers maybe Cyclone PAS is going to finally be viable.

Comment

Working...
                  X