BMS install for "plug in" charging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMS install for "plug in" charging

Like to just "plug in" until the light turns green?

Comment

Tools needed

Comment

Comment

This is how you want the wiring

Comment

Ebike controllers should have LVC (low voltage cut off) either set to a specific battery pack or programmable say from 36v to 150v depending on the model controller you buy. In this BMS "how to" I am wiring the BMS for charging only and I'm setting my controller program to the battery LVC. I'm doing a 72v Lipo battery so I will program the LVC to 63v which is the safe setting to protect the battery cells from damage.

Comment

First I use 16awg wire to protect the BMS from a amp surge. The controller is connected by XT90 connectors using 10awg for the discharge.

Comment

16awg silicone wire goes to the P- and B- holes on the BMS.
                B- goes to the thick Black wire on #1 brick
                P- goes to your charger port Negative
                Last edited by Ebike1; 04-30-2017, 07:12 AM.

Comment

Here is the diagram for "series" connecting Lipo bricks power leads. However, when bypassing the BMS you simply wire the big wires direct to the controller connector which is called the "discharge" connector

Comment

Number your bricks 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
                    On my SuPower BMS, it has 20 wires for the lead connector so I am not using brick #1 black lead ( I clip and heat shrink wrap it) the next lead wire goes to BMS #1 and so on. The thin red wire from Brick 1 gets connected to black lead on Brick 2, the black lead from Brick 2 gets connected to red lead from Brick 3, etc.

Comment

As you're working, tuck your wires away neatly. Don't forget the heat shrink wrap on the thick wire connectors to insulate the wires. I also ad Gorilla tape over the thick wire connectors (over the heatshrink too) because I like the added protection.

Comment

After you "series" connect your battery leads in order, you want to test your wiring by putting your volt meter Black wand to the #1 brick battery thick - Black wire and use your Red volt meter wand to check the order of the white connector leads like how I did in this video https://youtu.be/Bxxu31KxbMg

Comment

Have your discharge 10awg wires and connector ready to Crimp onto the BMS thin 16awg wire and to the battery B- from #1 brick
                          The 10awg + Red wire crimps to the last brick (say #5 is your last brick) and include your 16awg red to charger port +

Comment

Here is your finished wiring . You are ready to tuck the wires into the shape of your battery box
                            Last edited by Ebike1; 10-08-2017, 06:43 AM.

Comment

Here is another lipo battery set up that squeezed into a custom frame box

Comment

Working...
                              X