Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Details on replacing the nylon drive gear with the new LUNA steel gear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Details on replacing the nylon drive gear with the new LUNA steel gear.

I purchased the new steel gear to replace the nylon gear and had a serious issue. The tear down is straight forward, the the motor removed you have to remove the controller which is not all that hard but you have to make sure that you do not cut any wires. You only have to remove the left hand part of the motor, the right hand side does not have to be removed unless you need to grease the drive gear. Once removed accessing the nylon gear is not hard if you use a power screw driver and a good bit. Mine came right off using the instructions on this sight that shows how to tear the motor down.

The issue that I ran into is that I did not realize that the gear has a one way clutch built into it. If you put it in wrong the motor does not turn the output drive. I buttoned it all up and connected the wiring, the motor ran but I had no output as I had installed the drive upside down. After several emails I found out that the new gear has to be installed with the words Germany down. You can turn it and see which way it engages. Everything is back together and it works great, just a little more noise.

Thanks for this information. I made this same mistake when I initially opened up my BBSHD to do the "Mobil 28 greasing" recommended by many. The only reason I 'caught' my mistake before reassembling is that the split ring wouldn't seat with the nylon gear in the 'wrong'/upside down position. It took me longer than I'd like to admit to finally brainstorm to flip it over, at which point the split ring fit fine. So apparently with the steel gear can be installed the 'wrong' way and that split ring will still seat/fit?

I likely have a steel gear replacement in my future as well, so I really appreciate your sharing this. Also good to know the noise difference isn't significantly more. I like a quiet ride and was concerned about that, but a little more noise seems a good trade off for the peace of mind of having a more durable steel gear.
    2017 Growler 26" fat bike BBSHD

Comment

I had a 50/50 chance and guessed wrong. Thanks for the post!

Comment

That sounds like it is also counter to normal practice, wherein the part us usually installed with markings facing outwards, like sprockets, rotors, seals and gears, so it's an easy mistake.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Working...
        X