Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ride without brake cuttoffs for now?

Hello,

I'm getting ready to add a BBSHD to my commuter bike. Luna is currently out of stock on the sensor for brake lock outs for hydraulic brake bikes. I have an email into Luna asking when these may be in stock again, but no word back yet. Obviously I can get these through a couple other channels, but they will come directly from China and shipping time is estimated between 4 and 8 weeks.

I've read a few posts where some people ride without the sensors by simply back peddling a 1/4 to 1/2 turn to stop the motor when they brake. Does this work? Is it relatively safe for a week or two?

Thanks,
    Kent

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/0...ing-the-bbs02/
    https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/0...g-your-sanity/

​Congrats on the BBSHD, you're gonna love it!
    The best, and safest, way to go without ebrake sensors, is to reprogram!
    Read the above links, and you'll have all the info you need to reprogram your controller. Just be aware that doing so will void the warranty. I reprogrammed mine and do not use a sensor. In fact I prefer not having one. One more thing to go wrong and clutter my bar!

Comment

Originally posted by Rix Ryds View Post
      ​Congrats on the BBSHD, you're gonna love it! The best, and safest, way to go without ebrake sensors, is to reprogram! Read the above links, and you'll have all the info you need to reprogram your controller. Just be aware that doing so will void the warranty. I reprogrammed mine and do not use a sensor. In fact I prefer not having one. One more thing to go wrong and clutter my bar!
      Thank you for the reply sir, I shall read your links....

Comment

I ordered my Bbshd from Luna and it has the stock program it came with. I do not use the brake cut-off on my bike. When I stop pedaling the motor cuts out almost instantly. I am not saying this is how you should do it for safety reasons but, it works for me.
        I have 2 brake cut-offs that I am not using. If you feel that you would rather not ride without them, We can work something out and I will send you mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiloh View Post
          I ordered my Bbshd from Luna and it has the stock program it came with. I do not use the brake cut-off on my bike. When I stop pedaling the motor cuts out almost instantly. I am not saying this is how you should do it for safety reasons but, it works for me. I have 2 brake cut-offs that I am not using. If you feel that you would rather not ride without them, We can work something out and I will send you mine.
          Thank you for your feedback also. And thank you very much for your offer on your unused cutouts. I believe I will try it without and go from there.

Comment

I just ordered my unit! Can't wait! How long does shipping take usually from Luna?

Comment

VVBG, Congratulation! Unfortunately you have to wait!

I consider the cutout extremely important. I'd never recommend a new rider go without. I'd be taking Shiloh up on the offer. AT LEAST ONE!

Shipping wise, Luna moves pretty quick, remember batteries are Hazmat items and can take a bit longer. Best to settle back and relax. They move as quickly as possible. You will get updates on shipping.
              In the meantime look over the install manuals and videos. Get familiar with the tools you'll need. We all get anxious once our orders are placed.

I suggest we don't make the support guys nuts by immediately emailing, chatting, or calling when we don't her in a day or two. I'm retired but I have to say my biggest time wasters were the anxious buyers emailing to get shipping updates.

The parts will come. You've chosen on of the best and the most reliable in the market. Let them do their job. You'll appreciate a quick answer if there's a detail that needs to be sorted. The poor guys get dozens of where's my stuff emails when we forget that not everyone can be like Amazon. No low paid 24 hour sorters packing our stuff. Real riders doing their best to make us happy and get our goodies off as quickly as possible.

BTW congratulations on making your choice!

Comment

LL is giving you good advice. He is also being cautious.

I have BBSHD kit on a Cannondale mtn. bike. I has good disc brakes. The levers on my bike won't work w/ the sensors.

I have ridden 600+ miles w/ no sensors. I do have the kill switch/button (only the Chinese would make a kill switch w/ a green button) and I have never used it other than to confirm it works. The rear brake on my bike can stop the motor, even if still trying to push. Having brakes more powerful than the motor is your best safety design, not an additional piece of hardware. All modern cars and motos work this way/have brakes > motor.

PS - when you crash and burn in a terrifying ball of flame (with report), I will deny I ever said the above (when questioned by your surviving family).

Comment

Originally posted by SRG View Post
                  He is also being cautious.
                  Common sense makes for longer life spans. I'm in the die old and fat crowd, make em work to get you to the dirt nap.

While some of us hate having a nanny and being told what we need to do to be safe, living to my age has been largely luck given the number of times I circumvented conventional safety devices. But ,I finally got to the age and experience level where I hate doctors and hospitals even more. I seldom second guess engineers anymore. If I were smart I'd be rich, I'm not, I have cutoffs. (and two green buttons in my parts box, where those devices belong) <tongue in cheek>

It's only money...and the cost is less than the hospital charge for a box of Kleenex.

That said there are more than a few SRG riders that are happy without.

Comment

Originally posted by Louis Luna View Post
                    Unfortunately you have to wait! Shipping wise, Luna moves pretty quick, remember batteries are Hazmat items and can take a bit longer. Best to settle back and relax. They move as quickly as possible. You will get updates on shipping. I suggest we don't make the support guys nuts by immediately emailing, chatting, or calling when we don't her in a day or two.
                    Yeah, I understand. I wasn't planning on bothering you guys, I run an internet business too. I thought some of the regulars on the forum might be able to give a time estimate. Are we talking two weeks? Four? Eight? You do ship from America, yes? One of the main reasons I purchased from Luna was I thought I might get my order a bit quicker than EM3ev, was I wrong?

In the meantime look over the install manuals and videos. Get familiar with the tools you'll need.
                    Been there, done that. I believe I have read and watched every internet post/video on both the BBSHD and BBS02. Heck I would gladly watch and read more. It beats sitting and waiting.

I consider the cutout extremely important. I'd never recommend a new rider go without. I'd be taking Shiloh up on the offer. AT LEAST ONE!
                    I'm not exactly a "new rider". I'm 54. I've been riding bikes since age 4, riding motorcycles since age 9, competing on motorcycles (motocross, enduro and observed trials) since age 10. I understand your caution as well as your desire to limit Luna's liability in case a customer kills himself. However, I've built several motorcycles from scratch and have ridden competitive events on motorcycles for decades. I have a fair amount of experience sorting out the performance/safety of custom/experimental motorcycles. I won't get in over my head with your kit. I'm a good mechanic and a better rider. Still, I acknowledge receipt of your warning.

Lastly, a word of thanks. I've been looking for an eBike kit for several weeks. I need to get in a bit better shape by biking to work. The years go by and the pounds acquire you know? Commuting on my motorcycle burns zero calories. Commuting on my bicycle burns a ton of calories but takes too long. An eBike seems ideal. The BBSHD seems to be a great all around kit. Luna Cycles seems to have a wealth of knowledge on the subject and uses honest business practices. You also build some seriously bitchin' custom parts! Thank you for the product and the service, and thank you for the welcome to the forum.

Peace....
                    Last edited by ocezam; 07-13-2016, 12:08 PM.

Comment

I'm retired. From my active roll with Luna sales. BUT they've been turning stuff around in just a few days. Sometimes batteries getting hazmat certs delay the process but usually shipped in a few days.All come from The Republic of California. Batteries do go by ground and so the order is often split and the motor comes before the battery in many cases. Yes faster than EM3ev. And you're supporting USA workers and tax payers.

By new I don't mean new to bicycling, rather new to eBikes. No shame in that. I'm in my late 60's and still a babe in eBike years. Much the same experience. But from this end it's hard to know what a customer has for experience and a majority have never had a PTW! So I manage to insult a small percentage. Sorry about that! Foot to mouth disease is incurable after a certain age.

Comment

All come from The Republic of California.
                        Yeah, I hear you LOL!

...from this end it's hard to know what a customer has for experience and a majority have never had a PTW! So I manage to insult a small percentage. Sorry about that! Foot to mouth disease is incurable after a certain age.
                        Oh man, no insult taken or inferred. It's all good.

I appreciate your time and comments. Can't wait to put it together. I have already received a shipping notice/email from Luna. Killer speed in my book.
                        ​Take care,
                        Kent

Comment

The latest bbshd motor I got from Luna had a faster "Time of Stop" parameter in the default settings. so no need to reprogram. If you stop pedaling and notice that the motor does not instantly stop you should reprogram it before riding without brake cutoffs. It can launch you into an intersection or off of a cliff if you are not expecting it.
                          Do something that is good for your health, good for your wallet and good for the planet - get an e-bike.

www.poweredride.com

Comment

Originally posted by PoweredRide View Post
                            The latest bbshd motor I got from Luna had a faster "Time of Stop" parameter in the default settings. so no need to reprogram. If you stop pedaling and notice that the motor does not instantly stop you should reprogram it before riding without brake cutoffs. It can launch you into an intersection or off of a cliff if you are not expecting it.
                            Were you able to feel the faster time of stop or did you go into the programing to verify? I wonder if the last motor you received was simply a fluke or they are reprograming them all like this?

Comment

• PoweredRide
                              PoweredRide commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You can definitely feel it. 200ms is longer than you might think. I am pretty sure it is not a fluke. Some of us were commenting on this a few months back and Eric, the owner of Luna, chimed in and said he would change it.

Just my experience.....
                            I have good hydraulic disk brakes and didn’t want to change them, I did not attach the sensors for hydraulic brakes.

I have been riding without a gear sensor or ebrakes and have had no troubles at all. I find the throttle lets go immediately and the PAS cuts out the second I pedal backwards even a slight amount.

I have non “hot rod” programming that my unit came from Luna with.

I’m using a 30tooth front chain ring and it lines up great with my third smallest cog on the back. I find no need to change gears often as this set up gets me good power on hills and a comfortable flat ground 30km/h.

BTW my brakes will over power the motor in this gear and I can easily reach my battery cable if I need to disconnect it in a hurry.

I can hear nay sayers stating that the ebrake is a nescesity but I figure any failure that could require the dire need for it would also render the ebrake useless and the two safeties I mentioned above will work no matter what happens to the controller

Comment

Working...
                            X