Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBS02 Chainline - What chainring will work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBS02 Chainline - What chainring will work?

I have a BBS02 kit on my mountainbike (48T). Thing is, when climbing hills I'm *always in my lowest gear.

I want to make better use of my gears by putting on a smaller front chainring.

The issues is "dish". The 48T stock front chainring has significant "dish" or offset, and none of the smaller replacements have this, they are essentially flat.
    I contacted Luna, but the person could only point me to HD reference materials. From what I have searched for, the HD and BBS02 do not have the same chainring bolts and are not interchangeable.

Who else has faced this problem?
    Thanks!
    Nick

Note: my bike's bottom bracket is such that I barely have enough angle for the stock 48T chainring!

I do know that the 02 and HD rings do not interchange. I also don't know much about the 02 options.

Found this on the Lekkie site. If they did the same thing they did on their HD versions they used about the same offset so I would assume the stock ring was in the 9mm range and looks like as expected others are less to a lot less. I'm not sure 46 to 42 would get you that much gain. Did you see Lekkie has a 40t setup for the 02? Its real expensive because you have to change the gear cover too but it says its 2mm more than their 42 so that makes 11. Maybe that would make a difference? Otherwise whats your cassette? Are you maxed out there without a new derailer? With the popularity of the 1x drives even on cheap bikes there are some 'super range' freewheels and cassettes now available for 7-10 speeds, no longer only for the 11 and 12's. You can't go 52 tooth like you can on an 11 or 12 but I know there are 42's on the 10's. 8-10 interchanges on the same hub so there may be options there too.

Motor Lekkie Summit / Bafang BBS01, BBS02
    Finish Anodised Black, Red
    Size 28T, 36T, 42T, 46T, 52T
    Offset 28T/36T 0.8mm, 42T/46T 9mm, 52T 6.5mm
    Weight 28T 58gm, 36T 85 gm, 42T 147gm, 46T 166gm, 52T 210gm
    Compatibility 1-11 speed (most chains), Sram 12 speed

Comment

Bafang sells a 44 tooth chainring which is dished the same as the 48t.
      44t is the smallest bafang offset chainring. 42t such as the one from Lekkie is the smallest offset chainring possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Dshue View Post
        Bafang sells a 44 tooth chainring which is dished the same as the 48t.
        44t is the smallest bafang offset chainring. 42t such as the one from Lekkie is the smallest offset chainring possible.
        Thank you, this is what I end up doing: the Bafang 44T. I think I'd go smaller, but this works better for hills than the 48 and will work (especially for the money).
        Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X