Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi guys, is this Bafang BB02 going to tear up my gears?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, is this Bafang BB02 going to tear up my gears?

I've always taken care of my gears(lube every ride, replace chain when it stretches even a little). I have two big hub motor bikes and love that my drive train takes no abuse.
    Should I be worried about having to replace my gears and chain all the time? I take the hub motors off road all the time but you can't go up a steep hill from a dead stop.
    Thanks for any advice. I have a 10 bikes(yeah, I'm one of those) oh, I'm 62 so that's getting pretty old and now feeling justified to get some electric help

Its going to put more stress on them than no mid drive motor but most people don't seem to think the wear is anything crazy, just part of the game you are playing with a mid drive. Breaking chains and teeth seems to happen during shifting under load or with modified units pushing a lot of power. It doesn't take a lot of wear on a 11t to make that skip under power but the larger ones seem to do fine even with some wear. The BBS's like to spin on the high end or even higher than most people can pedal so you should not really be putting a lot of stress on the high gears.

Comment

I just run Sunrace 11-40T 8 speed casette ($20) and replace it with the chain. Park CC2 chain checker let's you measure chain stretch as it occurs. I replace early figuring that the stretch under load will be higher than on the bike stand. I've broken a couple tool less chain connectors. If you want to run them replace often. I rivet my chain, but I ride urban so failure is not an option. I'also run a top roller chain guide, but my chainline favors the outer gears. With a proper Wide/Narrow ring and inset mounting probably not needed.

Comment

3000mi on $30 11sp chain ridden very hard with BBSHD - nothing more than lubing very frequently - ~7000mi on the bike

My cassette is also sunrace all steel cogs and compared to the aluminum are less expensive and last a lot longer

Comment

With the BBS02 and up mid motors, I suggest installing a shift sensor.
          BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

Originally posted by ncmired View Post
            With the BBS02 and up mid motors, I suggest installing a shift sensor.
            +1 - true that

Comment

Thanks guy. That's what I wanted to know. I'll take off my XT stuff and go with some steel ones. If not happy, I'll have it to put back on. I see how to hook up the shift sensor. I'm going to disable the PAS before I mount the motor. Should be hear tomorrow ! Oh yeah, from what I read, I'll need a 36 or 38t sprocket.
              Thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X