BBSHD Availability and Spacing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Availability and Spacing

It appears the standard size BBSHD is out of stock at Luna and the build that I'm about to do does not need the 73-100mm (Fat) size. Couldn't I just add plenty of spacers to make a "fat" fit on a "standard" bottom bracket?

You can but note all the extra ends up on the left side. Normally things don't end up centered anyway and most people are not very sensitive to that sort of alignment so if you really want to go for it. Its going to be about an inch too wide. You often end up about 1/2" to the right so in theory this would put you a 1/2" to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
      You can but note all the extra ends up on the left side. Normally things don't end up centered anyway and most people are not very sensitive to that sort of alignment so if you really want to go for it. Its going to be about an inch too wide. You often end up about 1/2" to the right so in theory this would put you a 1/2" to the left.
      I used a 120mm BBSHD on my Mongoose Dolomite that has a bottom bracket about 100mm wide. I used spacers on both sides to center the motor. I have a really good chain line and the crank arms don't hit the chain stay. You just need to make sure the spacers on the left are between the mounting bracket and the motor nut, not between the bottom bracket and the mounting bracket. If you put them between the bottom bracket and the mounting plate, it won't keep the motor from moving.

I actually like how it turns out and using spacers on both sides allows me to fine tune the placement.

Comment

OP, what do you intendto use the bike for in this conversion? Many people are not too sensitive to Q-factor issues for some applications. Serious road bikers often can't stand it, and serious mountain biking will possibly suck when you constantly jam your pedals into narrow obstacles on the trail. The application may or may not be an issue for you.

Comment

Working...
        X