BBSHD Questions ? Post here for a quick answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Questions ? Post here for a quick answer

Here is a collection of questions and answers our support team are compiling....

Please help us out by asking a question you think should be added to the guide:

BBSHD Question and answers

Is there any difference of the BBSHD sold from the different sellers?
    There are small differences in the program settings the dealers decide to program into the BBSHD or what power connectors they use...but for the most part the BBSHD is the same from all sellers. China sellers are selling them with stock program setting from Bafang which makes the drive much more slugish and slow.

How do i program my own BBSHD and what do i need to do it?
    All you need is our $20 programming cable and then read this programming guide.... its easier than you think.

Why should i buy from you guys instead of some china Seller?
    Our price is the same if now lower than most china sellers,. We are a USA company and can provide USA after sales support which China cant offer because of how far away they are. it costs 100 dollars to send a bbshd back to China.

What is the top speed I will get out of my BBSHD?
    From our experience the top speeds we see is 30mph. With high gearing and hard pedaling you can get a bit more...but the drive is not geared high enough for much beyond 30mph.

What is the difference of the bbs02 vs bbshd? which one do you recommend?

The bbshd is completely redesigned and is a much more robust drive that is more efficient and more dependable. You do not need to shift as much with the torque the bbshd offers and can even run a bbshd single speed, which would be unheard of on a bbs02. The bbs02 weighs 3 pounds less and is around 150 dollars less. We think the BBSHD is worth the extra price and pounds.

Which display do you recommend for the BBSHD?
    The color DPC14 is by far the best display offering...the latest and greatest. Read an independent review.

How do I order the right BBSHD kit that fits my bike? Read this guide.

Which bike should i select as a donor bike?
    We highly recommend you pick a bike that someone has already done a build on...that way your build will have no surprises or compatibility issues. Look at this section n our forum for a compilation of builds reports. Any one of these frame kits with docuemented build reports would be a great choice.

Can i fit the BBSHD with a modern press fit bottom bracket system?
    Yes but you will need to purchase a converter. Here is an excellent article on the subject by Empowered Cycles.

What kind of grease should I use if I ever service it? (Mobilgrease 28 is the typical answer.)

How loud is it? Find a way to describe this. "Hard to hear, even riding on grass", or "People you pass generally won't be able to hear it"...?
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

• Eric Luna
      Eric Luna commented
      Editing a comment
      good ones...i will add them both

I see you said the BBSHD can be used on a single speed. Does the unit "back peddle" to use a rear hub coaster brake?

Comment

• JPLabs
      JPLabs commented
      Editing a comment
      It does not.

Ordered BBSHD black Friday kit from Luna. I also got the DPC-14 and "hot rod" programming. I have installed it on a fat bike I had and seem to max out around 40 kms/h which is roughly 25 mph. What can I to increase this? Came with standard Luna chain ring and 52 v battery.

Comment

Hello. I had trouble shooted my BBSHD and decided that the Controller was dead HOWEVER whilst that is likely true the bikes does not roll backwards at all. Any ideas what this could be. Bike freewheels forward under peddle power but won't go back wards.

Comment

Originally posted by neilio View Post
        Hello. I had trouble shooted my BBSHD and decided that the Controller was dead HOWEVER whilst that is likely true the bikes does not roll backwards at all. Any ideas what this could be. Bike freewheels forward under peddle power but won't go back wards.
        A shorted controller phase power output will make the electric motor very hard to turn and cause the behavior you’re experiencing.

How/why did you determine the controller was dead?

Comment

I have a new question. I'm panning on using 12 removable- 20 volt Lithium Ion battery packs as made by Dewalt or Milwaukee to power a Bafang 48 volt 1000 watt mid drive motor on a tandem recumbent bike we built. I will connect three batteries in series to achieve a nominal 54 volts. I will repeat that process three more times and then parallel all to achieve a 20 amp hour battery since each pack is supposed to have 5ah.
          On the Dewalt there are 8 connector pins. Besides the positive and negative posts there are six smaller pins labeled. TM, D1, 1C,2C,3C and 4C. I understand that five of those pins are for monitoring the individual cells that are in parallel to make it a 20 volt system (nominal 18v). I expect the pin labeled TM is related to temperature but not sure. All 8 pins appear to be used when charging but besides the positive and negative only the TM and 3C are used in connecting to a power tool. My questions are what is the precise meaning of the pins and is it necessary to use the TM and 3C pins to power the motor I will use on my bike? Actually is that even possible or is only the positive and negative used? I want to understand all I can before making purchases.
          I intend to use regular Dewalt chargers to charge the system so charging won't be an issue and I intend to set up individual voltage cell meters for each pack to ensure an even usage and low voltage risks. For this I do need a better understanding of each of those connector pins.
          Any information or advice would be helpful. Thanks

Comment

• Eric Luna
            Eric Luna commented
            Editing a comment
            you need to research this forum and www.endless-sphere.com and find a thread about building battery packs from drill pack and post that question in that thread.

Will you sell a ludicrous controller with the BBSHD kits or is it only available for purchase on Luna built bikes? Thanks!

Comment

Is the throttle progressive on the bafang units (like an automobile accelerator) or is it more like an on/off switch?

Comment

Originally posted by OptimusPrime View Post
              Is the throttle progressive on the bafang units (like an automobile accelerator) or is it more like an on/off switch?
              It has 2 settings, or modes. Speed or Torque. Both are progressive, but speed mode comes on harder and pulls to the set speed, then backs off and holds that speed.

Torque mode applies amps to the motor proportional to throttle, as long as you hold it, so is much more even feeling.

Stock Luna program has Torque Throttle mode.

Some complain it's jumpy, and with a left thumb throttle I agreed, stock. But it can be softened. Setting minimum throttle current to 1% helps quite a bit. Down from stock of 10%, I think. Then it's real easy to modulate.
              Last edited by JPLabs; 01-22-2017, 07:33 PM.
              Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

What is the width of gap between the BB and motor ?

Thanks
                Termy

Comment

Its approximately 12mm, this thread here helps explain this https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...mid-drive-kits

Comment

Thanks Rodney64

Termy

Comment

Hello. I purchased a BBSHD kit from Luna. Here in Canada, the federal definition of a "power-assisted bicycle", among other things, stipulates that the motor shall have "a total continuous power output rating, measured at the shaft of each motor, of 500 W or less".

In the absence of titrating the output power on a dynamometer until the correct amperage can be found that generates 500W (at a given voltage), in practical terms, my understanding is that the BBSHD controller would need to be programmed down to 18A or even 15A with a 48V battery in order to be strictly compliant.

My question is:

Is it even possible to program the controller to draw a maximum of 18A (or lower)? I seem to recall reading somewhere that the "minimum" amp draw on a BBSHD is 25A.

Thanks in advance,
                      Electric Avenue, E-Bikes, Hamilton and On-line E-Bikes Parts Store

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
                        HIGHVOLTAGE commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Ahem.... if you ask me. I live in Canada too and personally I just ignore those laws and limits. They're not even properly implemented. 500w isn't enough power for some of the park trails we have here in B.C. Just don't ride like a dick. If you see a cop, slow down and start ghost pedaling like you're a normal bicyclist.. Be respectful to cars and pedestrians and nobody will even bat an eye and the cops will have no reason to question you.
                        Last edited by HIGHVOLTAGE; 08-11-2018, 01:21 PM.

Using the Luna config tool (download it here on the forum) the Low Battery Cutoff voltage on the Basic screen is limited to 18v. Just under it, the Current Limit (amps) setting will go all the way down to 1 amp and up to 100.

So your memory of "18" isn't something to worry about, I think.

Comment

Working...
                      X