No announcement yet.

BBSHD Questions ? Post here for a quick answer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ordered a BBSHD kit system today, from a new delivery of 68-73mm size BB.

I would like to know if the firmware of these new delivery BBSHD motors have the same problem of throttle / PAS response behavior as reported in other threads.

I'm referring to the issue (associated with firmware, not Luna's fault) where a rider can use either throttle with no PAS, or PAS with no throttle.

So, as a first cut, has the firmware version number "rolled" / changed with the new delivery motors?

If yes, can you say whether or not the throttle behavior is "fixed"? (to allow both PAS and Throttle to be used, linearly applied).

Thanks,

Comment

• mebgardner
      mebgardner commented
      Editing a comment
      Ugh. Not the answer I wanted. Do you want time to evaluate the newly arrived HW? My order is on hold (Gary held it). I am a ret. SW developer for embedded systems, so HW / FW / SW changes do not scare me easily. I can usually live with a "well behaved" workaround in programming, depending on the what the resultant behavior entails. I do not have the patience I would need to read through umpty squat numerous threads to determine what that behavior might be, or the validity of what is written. Too much to wade through. So, if there is a programming workaround, please tell me how that behaves in use. Otherwise if there only a "some time in the near future" aftermarket solution that drills and fills a board, then I'm not so enthusiastic about that (and you can relay that to Bafang).

I bought the system desiring a well integrated throttle and PAS behavior (torque and / or cadence). I can buy off the shelf full sized cycles that have PAS without throttle support. If the system I bought does not integrate both well, then I'm not real interested anymore. I know I don't sound like much of a developer, but my time remaining does not allow it anymore. You understand, I hope.
      Last edited by mebgardner; 01-05-2019, 06:52 PM.

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I am who held it. No, I do not believe the firmware has been revised to fix it. No, there is not a programming workaround, besides disabling pas completely so the pas levels control the throttle power levels instead. Which is IMO fine as PAS is overrated when you get into power levels like bbshd, but that's really up to personal preference.

The aftermarket solution is not by bafang. It is by a member of this forum who is a very talented engineer, and the chips are already in hand, we are just working out how long to make the wires, as well as the usual stuff (documentation).

If you want it canceled just say so. Currently it is set to be held for the next several days, unless you give the word to cancel it, it will automatically go back to awaiting fulfillment.

We will be selling a new mid drive kit in the next few days that supposedly has better throttle/pas, but it is also is lower powered. At the moment the highest power mid drive with throttle that overrides pas instead of the other way around, would be adding the pas sensor to our cyclone kit.

• mebgardner
      mebgardner commented
      Editing a comment
      OK, thanks for your patience with me Gary. Your answers are concise, and I see multiple options available. Let me take them in order:

1) "No, there is not a programming workaround, besides disabling pas completely so the pas levels control the throttle power levels instead. Which is IMO fine as PAS is overrated when you get into power levels like bbshd, but that's really up to personal preference."

This is the programming workaround that I have read about, just not described in this manner (PAS levels controlling Throttle power levels). Would you please provide a link to a forum thread that describes how this method is implemented (with the programming cable and SW screenshots), and maybe how it works out in practice?

Edit:

I found these links useful to help answer my questions about how to implement this (Disabling PAS completely) method via programming, and how it behaves (especially the "on / off" switch" likeness of PAS operations).

These links:
      https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/0...ing-the-bbs02/
      https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/0...g-your-sanity/

However, none of the write-ups, or subsequent comments, appear to speak to the original problem I mention in my 1st post, and confirmed by paxtana: This: "...where a rider can use either throttle with no PAS, or PAS with no throttle", and "No, I do not believe the firmware has been revised to fix it. No, there is not a programming workaround, besides disabling pas completely so the pas levels control the throttle power levels instead."

The write-ups at these links do not seem to speak to any such problem, although they're relatively dated fresh comments, and say that the programming described is applicable to the BBSHD. All the users there post comments that seem to say "everything is just fine, throttle and PAS cooperate just fine, there's no problem."

So, to this point (1), I guess I'm still confused. If you have a electricbikes.com thread(s) that help clarify what does not work well .vis-à-vis PAS and throttle interaction, then I would be grateful.

2) "The aftermarket solution is not by bafang. It is by a member of this forum who is a very talented engineer, and the chips are already in hand, we are just working out how long to make the wires, as well as the usual stuff (documentation)."

This is more information about the mod you previously wrote about, above. Although I do not desire to perform this mod myself, do you or your member friend, have any resources where a mod may be retrofitted to an existing BBSHD system (ie: controller, I think) and then sent back to the owner? That is, offer the mod as an "upgrade service", for a price. I would be interested in some service like that. The member may be interested in making some money from his work?

3) "We will be selling a new mid drive kit in the next few days that supposedly has better throttle/pas, but it is also is lower powered. At the moment the highest power mid drive with throttle that overrides pas instead of the other way around, would be adding the pas sensor to our cyclone kit. "

I do not have the fabrication skills or tools to install any of the cyclones, at this point. Maybe in the future, but right now, not an option for me. However, I am keenly interested in the new offering you mention here. I bought the bbshd for it's system robustness compared to the bbs02, not so much for the power increase. (I'm a semi-skilled dual sport / offroad dirt motorcyclist, and I've never bought into the "more power equals more better" idea).

Basically, I'm still wanting to pedal using my own power for the joy / experience / workout. I just want some tailwind mixed in with that once in awhile. For a Price...

So, let me sort through your responses for a day or so, and I will be back in touch about the existing order.

Gary, thanks so much for your help and patience.
      Last edited by mebgardner; 01-06-2019, 01:00 PM.

mebgardner The best description of reprogramming it as mentioned above is on this page. There is a .el profile file in the thread, you can load it up in the config software without needing to know how any of it really works.
    https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...tting-pas-wire

The programming links you provided are from four years ago. This was long before this issue appeared so the issue is not discussed.

There may be a modification service, I can't say. By nature each mod would be custom and any service offering to do it would be a lot more expensive than simply buying the mod kit and doing it oneself. We have not worked that out yet. Digging potting out with a toothpick or whatever is not necessarily difficult work but it is time consuming, which will add up quick having a skilled technician doing the labor. With overhead for parts, labor, shipping and acceptable margins this could run into the hundreds of dollars.

The new motor is a special version of the TZDZ2. It does not have the same lineage of many major hardware revisions / improvements like BBSHD has (which originated from BBSHD ver. A, which originated from BBS02 ver. B, which originated from BBS02 ver. A, which originated from BBS01). It does have a torque sensor and sinewave controller, and is a little cheaper, and has throttle/pas interoperation. But you would be more like a beta tester and I cannot say whether or not the motor will turn out to be what the software industry might refer to as "production ready". Seems to be good quality but is more of a gamble. With BBSHD you know what you're going to get, a very solid system with a lot of support and aftermarket products, and IMO the best on the market despite pedal assist concerns which are frankly overblown. Whether or not something else will hold up in the same way, who knows.

Comment

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure we have a throttle or can get one if you order it and it doesn't have that. Assuming this ends up being popular we'll be selling all sorts of parts for it.

• mebgardner
      mebgardner commented
      Editing a comment
      I can probably live without the cadence sensor split cable, for the optional lighting, if it is not included. Optional chain ring choices can also be off the table, if not offered. However, the throttle and splitter cable must be in the kit. Please check if this is an additional cost item or not. Thank You!

• paxtana
      paxtana commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm...I'll have to check on that.

Does the bbshd handle water well? It's a very wet climate here in Norway, lots of rain and snow. My bike is outside with no cover. Now I'm getting error 12 on my display. Possible blown controller. This is the third controller that craps out in two years. This system seems really unreliable to me!

Comment

• HIGHVOLTAGE
      HIGHVOLTAGE commented
      Editing a comment
      Reliability depends greatly on how you use it. I've had mine for two years without a single controller failure. Check your controller compartment to see if you've had any water exposure in it. Generally speaking it's good for light rain riding but not good for storing outside or riding in heavy rain. If you've gone through three controllers already, you may not be gearing the bike properly to keep the strain off the motor. Also make sure to clean the motor regularly to prevent mud and water from building up on it and check your motor core in-case there's any signs of water intrusion.

You can also look up more about waterproofing the LCD Display and Throttle here:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bshd-and-bbs02

I have the 42t bling ring and a normal casette in the rear. I use my bike to and from work. Its a 10-15 minute ride each way. The way home is pretty hilly and i use the easiest gear. Of course i try to make it as easy on the motor as possible. I dd that after the first controller failed. Iv'e checked inside the controller and theres no sign of water. I guess the motor core is next to check.

Comment

Working...
    X