Wrong Chain size I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post

It is common even on a regular bike but especially a mid drive E bike to have the smallest cogs wear the worst and also for them to be the first to show symptoms from the wear. You mention it happens under high load which would be expected especially if you often put a lot of load on in those small cogs.
    The problem only arose after I replaced the chain, if it is a chain cog issue it would mean that the old chain, which was very worn, was loose enough in it's links to happily ride over the old sprockets

Does your shifter have a clear model number or other identification saying how many speeds it is?
    Yes it's 9 as stated above but the cluster had 8 speeds but might be a 9 with the small cog removed. Either way I have a 9-speed cluster on the way and when it arrives I'll fit it and go from there.
    Does the bafang mid-drive strip internal gears? That was my first thought but I considered it too much of a coincidence having just upgraded the chain.

Comment

The chain and the sprockets wear together, and a new chain can skip on the old sprockets. This includes the front one also. Being bigger it just takes a little longer.

Comment

The Bafang internal gears can strip but its not a maybe sort of a thing. By the time it can skip its pretty well gone since its a plastic gear.

Comment

Well the 9-speed sunrace cluster arrived and I pulled the old one, not much oil in the old freehub by the sound of it, I might service it with a little light oil. The problem with the new cluster though is that my old spacer, that goes between the largest sprocket and the wheel hub, isn't thick enough to allow the locknut to bear down sufficiently on the set. I gave up at that point and went and mowed the lawn. Is this common? Do we need a variety of different spacers in the toolkit? I didn't measure the width of the old cluster and the new one, it's not something you can slip a digital vernier over.

Comment

• Retrorockit
            Retrorockit commented
            Editing a comment
            You should be able to measure down through the hole with it sitting on a surface. 8s and 9s should be the same O.A. width, but I think my Mavic hubs on the XC bike need a spacer.

• huffnpuff
            huffnpuff commented
            Editing a comment
            Now why didn't I think of that? Thanks. I'll get the spec and figure out the thickness I need then order one.

Universal Cycles sell various shims and spacers for bikes.

Comment

I finally took the wheel and cluster to a shop and the mech found the correct size spacer for them. I fitted the wheel, ran through the gears on the bike stand and went out for a ride. Smooth as a babies bottom, no clunking or anything. Lesson learnt, New chain, New cluster too.

Comment

• AZguy
              AZguy commented
              Editing a comment
              Happy days!

• huffnpuff
              huffnpuff commented
              Editing a comment
              I haven't been too proactive with it AZ, spending all my time on my conventional pushbikes and the new yami T7. I just a new Giant toughroad, the SLX-1 and have an SLX-2 on order. They are going up and up in price hey. I don't plan on riding the #1, it's in an upstairs bedroom, for the future, the Forum will replace my current 6 year old toughroad that is getting a bit long in the tooth. Compared to the cost of an average brand name ebike these two new ones were cheap!
          Working...
          X