Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BBSHD choice of display 52v 500c vs EggRider v2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD choice of display 52v 500c vs EggRider v2?

I'm trying to decide if I should get a 500c display or a EggRider V2. Both seem great. I recently upgraded my cargo bike's battery to a 52v and need a new display. I've looked at reviews of both and both seem adequate. I was wondering if anyone had opinions on it here?

Also, Luna is out of stock on the 500c so I would have to get one from Bafang direct. I'm assuming that it would be the same. Or should I just get the EggRider which is more expensive.

Thanks.
    Last edited by evodev; 05-05-2022, 02:45 PM.

Different animals

The eggrider supports controller parameter updating - personally I don't find much value in this but others do

Buying displays from different distributor/retailers you may find they have different firmware which generally isn't something most users are able to change (I can't speak for the 500C)

I also don't know which is more readable in the sun - others may have that experience

I don't care for the color displays regardless and far prefer the monochrome - but that's a different discussion Click image for larger version

Name:	wink.gif
Views:	195
Size:	439 Bytes
ID:	151087

Comment

If I could get my C965 Display to display volts rather than a battery, then I would use that. I bought the Luna Watt Meter, but it adds a whole wire mess to my bike. I'd rather just have one display.

Comment

Originally posted by evodev View Post
        If I could get my C965 Display to display volts rather than a battery, then I would use that. I bought the Luna Watt Meter, but it adds a whole wire mess to my bike. I'd rather just have one display.
        Yeah the wattmeters have an internal shunt so need the high current wiring and aren't suitable for handlebar mount, they are cheap though

You might consider just a dedicated voltmeter, they are inexpensive and wire up very cleanly... then the display choice becomes easier

I've got a meter that senses current like the watt meter but uses a remote shunt and so the wiring is clean for handlebar mounting and it's going to be more accurate than most anything else out there. Regardless it gives a bunch of *very* useful data (V, A, W, Ah, Wh, etc.) that pretty much any "display" that allows you to adjust PAS levels won't have - cycle analyst might

My use case is different than most for sure tho. Since I also use a garmin 276cx as my primary "display" which has all kinds of good stuff aside from speed, odometer, and other related stuff including pedal cadence, heart rate, wheel speed, temperature, and all the gps stuff with logging the only thing a typical display brings to the party for me is the PAS control and displaying the level and I could easily do with out the level being displayed (my gear shift doesn't tell me which gear it's in and I have no problem with that)... in the end, a C965 is just peachy for me...

Click image for larger version

Name:	cockpit.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	502.3 KB
ID:	151092

Comment

I like the 500c. Its big enough and shows what you usually need to know easily. Eggrider2 was pretty new when I was last shopping and I wasn't really looking for any of the extra features it offered so I have never used one. I think there is now a 500cV which is vertical mounted. That could be a good fit for some bikes depending on how you have your bars setup.

Comment

I have the 500c and like the fact that it is compact and combines the pedal assist controls. It is bright enough for me to see it in direct sun. The program feature of the Eggrider is a real plus, but for most situations programming with a laptop works fine. I bought mine from Bafang Direct (now called Ebike Essentials). Why not ask them if it's compatible?

Comment

If you've got older eyes propped open with progressive lenses, you might find the 500c is big enough to glance read versus the tiny eggrider. That's my situation.
              Last edited by ncmired; 05-08-2022, 04:06 AM.
              BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

The ERv2 is not readable in direct sunlight so you have to wait until you can cover with your hand for shade. just a minor annoyance. I only look at the display for % battery, max volt pulled and to change from eco to insane mode. works good enough for what it is.

Comment

Working...
                X