Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my RM Fusion 10 a good candidate for a conversion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is my RM Fusion 10 a good candidate for a conversion?

I bought my 2021 Rocky Mountain Fusion 10 29" last fall and I'm thinking pretty hard about converting it.
    I'm set on tools and mechanical skill. I was a mechanic for over 10 years.
    My concern is my current chain ring is a 30 tooth and RM says the max size is a 36 tooth.
    You can see from my pics how tight this looks.
    Any opinions about converting this?

Thanks for the pictures - they do help, although a picture looking at the bottom of the frame would help the most.

Along with the Bafang BBS motors you should consider the two CYC X1 motors.

Within the knowledge base there are several writeups regarding motor fitment, troubleshooting and the like:There's also a printable template to check for BBS motor chain stay clearance - when I find the damned thing I'll update this post with the link.
    Last edited by ncmired; 5 days ago.
    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Its not a for sure no go. How does the chain line look in 1st gear? Is it already pretty extreme or could the chain ring kick out some?

Comment

The down tube cable tunnel kinda worries me, the way it sticks out so much - 73Eldo, what's your take on it?
        BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

• 73Eldo
          73Eldo commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't catch that when first looking at the photos. It does seem like that could be a problem for a BBS. They don't give you any room down there. Even the thin plastic guides they used in the olden days usually have to come off for clearance.

Here is a pic of the bike in low gear. Also a top down pic of the chain ring.

Comment

The new photos make me hopeful for clearance for the gear case. There does seem to be decent space there but I don't know about the chain ring and chain line. Can you stick a straight edge like a yard sick on the rear tire as a reference then put it in what ever gear gives you a straight chain? Without a straight edge on the rear wheel its really hard to tell the angles. the frame throws off the whole prospective. Even better if you can get a pic of it kinda like the top one in the recent post.

That cable tube could be a problem. Are you going off road or will this be mostly streets? You could probably let the motor hang straight down without having to mod the frame but the ground clearance would make it not at all off roadable. May even be a problem for curbs. Only reason I would consider trying that is just to see how you like it and if you do then maybe go after that tube with some implements of destruction so you could swing the motor up into the more typical position.

Anyone recognize that bottom bracket style? The drive side looks strange to me.

I haven't done a CYC but I believe they do give you more leeway in the spacing between the motor and crank. Its a more complex install but if you got a decent amount of tools and basic fabrication stills maybe it would be worth serious consideration if you really want to do this bike. The other route would be to just find another bike to see how much you like the overall concept. Most people really like E bikes but before you have really got to experience your own its hard to commit to the cash and difficult to reverse mods to a decent bike.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
            The new photos make me hopeful for clearance for the gear case. There does seem to be decent space there but I don't know about the chain ring and chain line. Can you stick a straight edge like a yard sick on the rear tire as a reference then put it in what ever gear gives you a straight chain? Without a straight edge on the rear wheel its really hard to tell the angles. the frame throws off the whole prospective. Even better if you can get a pic of it kinda like the top one in the recent post.

That cable tube could be a problem. Are you going off road or will this be mostly streets? You could probably let the motor hang straight down without having to mod the frame but the ground clearance would make it not at all off roadable. May even be a problem for curbs. Only reason I would consider trying that is just to see how you like it and if you do then maybe go after that tube with some implements of destruction so you could swing the motor up into the more typical position.

Anyone recognize that bottom bracket style? The drive side looks strange to me.

I haven't done a CYC but I believe they do give you more leeway in the spacing between the motor and crank. Its a more complex install but if you got a decent amount of tools and basic fabrication stills maybe it would be worth serious consideration if you really want to do this bike. The other route would be to just find another bike to see how much you like the overall concept. Most people really like E bikes but before you have really got to experience your own its hard to commit to the cash and difficult to reverse mods to a decent bike.
            I'm just sticking to the streets for this.
            I found this youtube. The Trek looks like it has similar frame geometry to my RM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjS2OOLTGFU

Comment

Working...
            X