BBSHD leaking after a hot ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD leaking after a hot ride

Yesterday I went for a 15 mile trail ride when the temperature was in the 80's. By the time I finished it was over 90. Today I saw a puddle under my bike and signs of leakage on the motor. I have the motor lubed with Mobile 28 grease. Would overheating cause the grease to liquify and leak? Is it possible that oil/grease got into the controller and is that a problem? The motor runs fine and is quiet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oil leak3.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	153172
    Click image for larger version

Name:	oil leak2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	668.0 KB
ID:	153173

Mobile 28 is aircraft rated and doesn't start to loose its consistency until over 500°. I think you need to look for another answer.

Comment

Were you frugal or overly generous with the grease? Is it watery?

No matter - you should open it up!

Comment

If it's a lube of some kind, it looks more like shock / suspension oil to me. No leaky dogs or humans nearby I hope.

Has the puddle evaporated?
        Last edited by ncmired; 06-29-2022, 06:46 AM.

Comment

It's shock oil! Boy am I embarrassed. I rolled the bike out of the shadows and flipped it over to take off the back wheel and saw the oil on the motor. I panicked, saw the puddle, took photos and posted a motor problem. The motor is fine, but I'm going to be rebuilding my rear shock. Thanks everyone for quick replies.

Comment

• designerron
            designerron commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't think there was that much Fox Float Fluid in that shock. There must be none in it now.

• AZguy
            AZguy commented
            Editing a comment
            The stuff spreads really thin and all the pressure will push most of it out when the seals go south - don't get it on your disk brakes!!!

• designerron
            designerron commented
            Editing a comment
            The shock internal seals are blown, and the cost to rebuild equals the price of a new shock. Even if it can be repaired it won't be reliable. Time to go shopping.
        Working...
        X