Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bafang BBS02B 500w Watt Display Jumping Around

Hello, first time poster so apologies for any abnormal formatting

Been riding my BBS02B conversion kit since September. Been encountering an error that started Thursday last week

Sorry for the rotation problem, uploading from work. You can see the throttle works and seems to apply full or close to full power, but in the display the power output is jumping all over the place.

The other symptom is that today I had the motor stop working on me. Display was on but the motor wasnt turning, with pedal assist or throttle. After a few minutes I was able to restart the whole system and get it to work properly, with the crazy Watt display like the video still present.

Ive unplugged everything and tried, same issue. I checked the wiring harness and it seemed fine.

I'm commuting to work on it in southern Ontario, so I'm getting wet sometimes, with salty road conditions. I usually wipe it all down after my rides, but I haven't taken more weather proofing than some tape around the connectors.

Any ideas what's causing this? Salt or water inside my controller? I am thinking that, but just want to see what others thing before I jump off the deep end and try to disassemble the motor myself with little experience on something like this.

I appreciate it very much, thank you anyone who reads.
    Last edited by SpaceOfAids; 3 weeks ago.

Great video. Unfortunately it shows bad news. The watts readings are sent to the display as data just like the speed data. So the data is comming in fine. But the watts data is wrong. That data is made in the controller inside the motor. The little CPU monitors the voltage on shunt resistors. But if shunt resistors go bad, then motor stops permanently. So thats not the problem. So the little CPU inside the controller must be under stress. Like if there's water inside there. And since it already quit on you, that means other CPU functions are also being attacked. Likely by water. These are supposed to be water proof, by you never know till you open the motor and actually check. I would imediately remove the battery until all steps are complete to verify that the motor insides are dry. Battery power on a wet circuit is very bad juju.

Comment

Originally posted by stts View Post
      Great video. Unfortunately it shows bad news. The watts readings are sent to the display as data just like the speed data. So the data is comming in fine. But the watts data is wrong. That data is made in the controller inside the motor. The little CPU monitors the voltage on shunt resistors. But if shunt resistors go bad, then motor stops permanently. So thats not the problem. So the little CPU inside the controller must be under stress. Like if there's water inside there. And since it already quit on you, that means other CPU functions are also being attacked. Likely by water. These are supposed to be water proof, by you never know till you open the motor and actually check. I would imediately remove the battery until all steps are complete to verify that the motor insides are dry. Battery power on a wet circuit is very bad juju.
      Ok, thank you very much for the help. I will be taking it apart, cleaning it, and try to make it a bit more water resistant. Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
      X