Clear All

• Hladeky
    replied
    BBSHD 5000 km without issues.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    Originally posted by joeaverage View Post

Maybe after I wear out the original 46T sprocket I'll investigate the Luna Eclipse and see if that offset will fix my bike. I'd like to have more power for the hills and don't need major top speeds.
    As soon as you start going less than 46t the chain ring will need to offset more to the outside since it will need to clear the BBS housing that covers the reduction gear.

Leave a comment:

• joeaverage
    replied
    ~150 miles. ;)

Lots of gremlins in my bike initially. Had lots to learn. The BBSHD has been great but everything attached to it needed TLC.

Installed kit, battery charger was DOA. Lunacycle was great and fixed me up.

Then realized that my beloved old Trek mtb bike was sorely needing alot of adjustments. New rear deraileur. New chain. Adjust everything.

First trip across town and the cranks kept loosening up. Made it to my work place and lightened it all up and had a nice ride down a bike path. Pedals loosened up. Left one stripped on the way home.

Got home throttle only. Yay!

Second trip out with new Schlumpf crankarms. Right side was good but left side kept loosening up. Removed paint from BBSHD crankshaft, added Loctite and that problem fixed.

Bontrager mtn bike tire had a pinch flat, ripped the bead out of the tire and broken a spoke entering a parking lot at too shallow an angle to the pavement lip. New spoke. Wheel trued.

Schwalbe Marathon tires ordered. Big improvement. Lower noise and rolling resistance.

Last night left side pedal stripped out.

Order steel Sunlite unicycle crank arms. Parts here end of next week. I want to ride!

I think that will fix it. ;)

I did try installing the Luna BBSHD Aluminum Chainring Adapter and 42T Sprocket b/c I'm a big guy and the hills around here are steep. That chain ring is terrible for my chain line.

Maybe after I wear out the original 46T sprocket I'll investigate the Luna Eclipse and see if that offset will fix my bike. I'd like to have more power for the hills and don't need major top speeds.
    Last edited by joeaverage; 07-14-2017, 07:47 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DKBIKE
    replied
    1,100 miles on a BBS02-B. Just started to squeak while peddling with PAS at 1,000 miles. Tightened everything up, squeak is gone. I have not lubed the motor yet. Still Quiet. I tend to baby the motor. No wet conditions, rarely at full power. I tend to ride about 12 mile trips each way, 18 mph. Very nice.

Leave a comment:

• Darth Biker
    replied
    First BBS02 had 6,411 miles on it before I sold it after replacing the pinion gear around 5,000 miles. (Upgraded to the new pinion gear and plate from Doug at California Ebike which is much stronger.)

Update 12/19: Second BBS02 (from Luna Cycle) has 10,000 miles on it without an issue other than the display resetting itself occasionally. Amazing.

Update 5/20: At 12,000 miles now and I can only get 600 watts out of the motor instead if 1,300. I don't need the power since I always pedal so I'll just keep riding it the way it is until the motor or display blows.
    Last edited by Darth Biker; 05-29-2020, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Petal
    replied
    Did 280 miles in my first month with my bbshd. Riding only on flat roads.
    I love it!

Edit 26-9-2017:
    874 miles!
    Last edited by Petal; 09-26-2017, 02:25 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Teknor
    replied
    After 4800 km the lekkie was looking like this... A lot of broken teeth. Time to get it replaced.

Leave a comment:

• AZguy
    replied
    Latest bike has BBSHD and maiden run was mid-Feb [2017] and started getting ridden first of March - 3-1/2 months, 1330mi

Only maintenance "issues" is the top gear (smallest cog, 11t) on the cassette has been replaced twice and looks good for about 500mi. They are about $8 and I stocked up. The next gear (13t) lasted about 1000mi.

First bike was put on the road July 2016, has bafang hub, is pretty much only a loaner at this point and is at ~2500mi

Leave a comment:

• e-dan-che
    replied
    Just an update...odometer just rolled over 4000 miles (in about 1.5 yrs now). Still no issue with battery nor bbs02 unit. Haven't done any maintenance on it either. Had to replace my derailleur on bike, but that was all. Haven't even had any flats in longer than I can remember. Schwalbe Marathon tires are great.

Update 4/13/2018: Over 2 yrs later and still no issues and no maintenance on motor or battery. Mileage is now 5300 miles on bbs02. Still a reliable commuter.
    Last edited by e-dan-che; 04-13-2018, 06:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JWall
    commented on 's reply
    Do you find that you use the same PA for most of your riding?

• Dave mc
    replied
    BBS02, 750w 190 miles mountain bike trails mostly thing is a blast, no real issues motor loosened up.

Leave a comment:

• Gr8fun
    replied
    4500 miles one year. Bbs02.
    First problem 961 display dead on arrival.
    Luna handled that promptly.
    Occasionally had to tighten motor.
    At 3000 miles chain started skipping..
    Replaced chain, cassette and front chain ring 46 tooth worn and skipping.
    Now using 52 tooth and 38 on front (110 spider adaptor) 11 to 32skipping. All shimano parts.26 inch mtb. Kenda tires. Gt bike. rim brakes
    Mostly road travel, 23 mph. Some throttle in traffic to when neccesary for turning left. Wheelies can come unexpectedly on the full battery and too much throttle. Calm down and use pas. taken to the hills a few times but gearing to high. Too fast of speeds for the power i needed. Much better with the 38 in front 32 in back. Had me eating dirt. Motor stronger than brakes. Down hill much more dangerous than up.
    Recently changed 961 display, to kmph and 18 inch wheel. Obnoxious auto motor off at 30mph gone. Also added batt man. Gives accurate speed and battery info for more efficient riding.
    Highly reccomended extra.
    The. 11.5 amp hour bottle battery was just too small for my use upgrade to 20 ah, and on long trips take the bottle battery for back up. Original charger came with battery went up in smoke. Poor quality fan.
    Next is an igh for straighter chain line greater gear ramges. and hopefully less wear on chain and cogs, especially the 11.
    Also going to play with fairing for decreased wind resistance faster speeds and more efficiency at the 28 mph limit. Batt man shows solid increase in speed vs amp ratio with different riding position and clothing. Aero. Much faster is possible. But brakes and tires just do not feel right.
    Impressed and more so every day.
    Rain coming again. Motor still quiet and strong.
    Flat tires too often. Just fixed one with two snake fang holes in tire and tubes.

Leave a comment:

• BikeB4Drive
    replied
    I put 1500 miles commuting on my BBSHD regularly hitting 30 amps for short times and sometimes too hot to touch climbing 700 foot hill over a couple miles. I found that I was only repairing bicycle parts. Rear cogs (smaller 3) didn't last long for me. I averaged 24 mph and peaked around 40 mph down hill. I pedal a lot and use PAS 9 w/ stock Luna program. Stock chainring looks fine wear wise and will go farther, I would like to upgrade to 50-52 tooth to take stress off my 11 tooth rear cog. I'm on my first chain still but I will not use it anymore. I think my experience is on the side of abuse and the BBSHD took it. My 2002 small tube Gary Fisher Paragon aluminum hardtail frame cracked right where seat tube meets bottom bracket shell about 2 months before the end of my riding season. Might have reached 2000 miles in 1st year if that hadn't shut me down (75-100 miles/week). I'm swapping everything to a 2007 Santa Cruz Blur LT full suspension, I'm mostly done but weather too cold in morning for me and probably battery and it's just dark now. Luna sells a solid package, the company is even an order of magnitude better 1 year later.

Leave a comment:

• e-dan-che
    replied

Zero issues on BBS02, 750w, 46t front ring, 26 in. wheels.

Currently at about 2750 miles, installed on 12/2015. Haven't done any maintenance (just changed chains at about 1k miles as old one was way, way stretched). Motor still runs like a champ and very quiet and reliable. I am easy on the motor and mostly run it on level 2-3 PAS and only turn on for hills and while already in motion. Commuting on paved roads.

Front chain ring needs to be swapped out soon as the chain line is causing the teeth to sharpen. I have 9 speed and can get through all gears, chain rarely drops.

Leave a comment:

• CPG
    replied
    I put a bit over 500 miles on my first BBSO2 ride, before selling it. My replacement ride for the first one is a BBSHD, and it's at nearly 600. Then, my fat bike BBSHD (rode only on the really rough stuff) is close to 500. All with zero issues and zero maintenance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X