Removing Gear Shift Sensor Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Gear Shift Sensor Cable

Hello, almost finished my first build. Few questions.

I'm not using gear shift sensor, is it easy enough/worth it to remove it completely? (By opening the controller I suppose). For cleanliness/esthetic reasons

Also, just to be sure, are these 6v lighting cables in the picture bellow? I already have dynamo lighting on the bike, so any tips what to do with this cable? Should/could I remove it too, like the gear shift cable?

Click image for larger version

Name:	laidai.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	167499

I would not open it up just to remove those cables but if you were going to open it for other work like extra waterproofing then I suppose you could remove those and seal up the holes. There are videos and pictures talking about the products and areas to make these things more water resistant.

Comment

Welcome zezima to the forum. I wouldn't remove these cables. They are hard-connected within the controller to the PC board, and don't easily unplug. The PC board, components, and the cables ends are encapsulated in a potting material - some of which you'd need to chip out, very carefully.

For cabling neatness, I cap or otherwise insulate the ends, then coil them up along with other cable excess behind the motor, and wire-tie them up to the frame chain stay(s).

There are also Velcro wire sleeves, or for no/low cost a child-size sock, to hide cabling in.
      Last edited by ncmired; 05-31-2024, 08:47 AM.

Comment

+1 - wouldn't recommend removing the cables

Heat shrink sleeving and self-amalgamating silicone tape can be your friends

Comment

Thanks.
          Those small 6v wires couldn’t be used for anything useful than lighting though? Maybe phone charging or something

Comment

Originally posted by zezima View Post
            Thanks.
            Those small 6v wires couldn’t be used for anything useful than lighting though? Maybe phone charging or something
            I think the power available (watts) is too low to be useful for charging a device like a phone.

Comment

Working...
            X