BBSHD Crank Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Crank Arms

In my experience, the crank arms that come with the BBSHD Kit are complete garbage. I emailed support shortly after getting the kit and they agreed that the arms supplied with the kit are not a heavy duty arm that the powerful motor requires. He suggested buying the steel cyclone replacement arms http://lunacycle.com/parts/cyclone-p...-tapered-pair/ but including shipping (and likely cross border duty) cost is going to be $100 cdn or close to it.

Has anyone else experienced this and found a good alternative? My arms supplied with kit lasted about 2hrs and 8 hrs. I replaced them with some other alloy arms from LBS and they worked fine until I was out of saddle pedalling hard last night and felt one move...

Trying to to find a heavy duty steel arm replacement that can support my 250lb frame standing on them daily. Suggestions??

I noticed on eBay, Sugino XD tandem right crank arms (no spider) with a matching "normal" left arm can be had for around $26 each, if I remember correctly.
    Last edited by ncmired; 09-09-2016, 12:37 PM.
    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Wow, I wish I'd realized Luna sold those as BBSHD alternatives ,with square drive. I'd have gotten some. So, thanks for pointing that out, anyway.

I just got these. They fit, and are AL7075, so should be a lot tougher than stock....seem high quality.
      http://unicycle.shopgate.com/item/33353037

They are unicycle crank arms. Fit about like stock, maybe 5mm shorter, if that. Maybe try a unicycle shop in Canada, if there is such.

Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post
        Wow, I wish I'd realized Luna sold those as BBSHD alternatives ,with square drive. I'd have gotten some. So, thanks for pointing that out, anyway.

I just got these. They fit, and are AL7075, so should be a lot tougher than stock....seem high quality.
        http://unicycle.shopgate.com/item/33353037

They are unicycle crank arms. Fit about like stock, maybe 5mm shorter, if that. Maybe try a unicycle shop in Canada, if there is such.

Be glad you didn't know. Customer Service recommended them and said they would work, then afterwards I asked about the threaded part and he said, oh, maybe better off buying something else, these may not work... Not reassuring to hear that response, haha.

Yes, I am trying to find somewhere locally that sells unicycle stuff, but I really want to find steel arms in similar length, but haven't had any luck finding them online. I'm getting tired of replacing crank arms already...

Comment

Mine stretched a bit and I re-tightened but I'm pretty sure it will happen again. I am thinking of what might "fill the gap" for stretched crank holes. Have to be removable, but there are lots of products that are used to secure loose fitting things. I'm a coatings contractor and have used and even designed numbers of products that work in certain applications. I think I will give some thought to this.

Comment

I may try 2 left hand higher-end cranks (if there is such a thing in square taper)and using the strongest loctite I can find on the right hand pedal. I think I read about someone successfully doing that. It's either that or grinding the spider off a decent crankset. The stock bafang cranks are junk, I only have 150km or so on my bike and I'm tightening frequently.

Big opportunity here Luna. Make a nice set of machined cranks and watch the sales roll in :)

Comment

I had a lot of trouble with the left crank on a BBS02. I finally replaced both with some cranks off a wrecked Sun recumbent. They have a spider but it hasn't caused me any trouble yet and you have to look closely to see that the spider doesn't actually connect to anything. Now I'm putting together another trike with BBS02 and am fresh out of wrecked Suns. Also I think I'll need the offset crank on the left side of this one as there's a steering rod down there for the US steering. Are the replacement cranks Luna is selling the same as the crappy ones that come with the motor?

Comment

Those cranks are a direct factory replacement, no difference. I use these: https://www.bike24.de/p1138455.html

Have a look at them here:

Comment

I have used Schlumpf unicycle crank arms on 3 different BBSHD builds. The silver 170mm arms are only $31, the other colors/sizes are $86+.

​They are marked SSTL, Im assuming they are stainless steel.. They have held up well with heavy use.

http://cyclemonkey.bigcartel.com/pro...mpf-crank-arms

I should mention that on one of the builds (motobecane boris w/luna eclipse) I had to file the inside slightly to clear the chain ring bolts. The other builds didn't require as much spacing and worked with the eclipse without filling.
                  Last edited by Bandshark; 10-02-2016, 02:28 AM.

Comment

• Pugster
                    Pugster commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Looks like an awesome option. Thanks!

Looks like another option is finding a set of used Shimano XTR cranks. The older ones use a square taper and the spider is removable. It's a popular option with the single-speed MTB crowd.

Comment

Hey Bandshark, those 170's look like what I need, thanks. I managed to relocate the steering rod so I don't think that'll be an issue after all.

Comment

• Bandshark
                      Bandshark commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Cheers. Let us know how they fit on your particular build. It might help someone decide if they will work for them.

Can't I just get an old aluminum square tapered crank off craigslist for $5 and saw off the "spider"? Aluminum is easy to work with, can round with a metal file. Or am I missing something in the design for the Bafang cranks for the BBSHD?

Comment

• Rodney64
                      Rodney64 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes you can do this, Its a good option. Just a matter of grinding the spider off and making it look as neat as possible.

• Kocho
                      Kocho commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks! Either that, or the almost $40 Shimano set off eBay that someone posted above

I don't think I'd mess with alumininujm cranks. I ended up with steel or stainless unicycle cranks which didn't cost all that much. Unfortunately it looks like I stripped the bolt hole trying to deal with the crappy stock cranks. Even with Locktight red it's starting to worrk loose again and there were metal filings on the bolt. What part do I need to replace? I better replace the bolt too.Do I have to have a torque wrench in order to avoid overtightening? I guess I must have been a bit too forceful after re-tightening those crappy cranks the forth or fifth time.

Comment

I just ordered a pair of the Shimano STePS ebike crank arms off eBay for $29.95 delivered. Will get them next week. My BBSHD cranks are fine (no slippage or looseness, but I think they flex too much too easy under pedal power ...

Comment

Hi Guys, I see they do two sizes, 175mm and 170mm, which would suit the BBS HD best??

Comment

Working...
                        X