Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 73Eldo
    replied
    Who did you order it from? If they can't or won't do anything for you then it sounds like you will have to tap the holes yourself and find some screws. IF that happened to me I would likely do them SAE because I have a lot more of that than metric. I think factory is M6 but someone else would have to confirm that, I don't know metric stuff by sight like I know imperial stuff.

Leave a comment:

• mathias5171
    replied
    Ordered a Bbshd kit a month ago and the 2 mounting holes are not tapped for any of the included bolts. I don’t see any paint or clear coat in the holes. Now I have to either send it back or find bolts that will fit or retap the holes. WTF.

Leave a comment:

• MsCynthia
    replied
    At least your motor kit came with those bolts.....mine didn't and we had to shlep the motor over to Lowe's just before closing time, to find the ones we needed. (No worries, Eric. It all worked out OK.)

Leave a comment:

• Alan B
    replied
    Curious about what is wrong with the "dead cyclones"? Shorts or opens in the windings, perhaps?

Leave a comment:

• marjamar
    replied
    That's an interesting read Eric. Sort of reminds me in many ways of the turmoil we use to endure doing business with China based companies. In our case it was a double problem as our designs were also being ripped off and sold out of China. Endured this for a number of years, but all the while sales taking a hit in the head. Got to a point where there wasn't enough profits for the work and we had to sideline the company. Fortunity our other business was growing so fast we really didn't miss the dollars and far less hassles to deal with now. Hope you can work everything out well enough to keep it going.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    replied
    yeah so many times we are forced to pull out all our bafangs and inspect them and do fixes like these.

I talked to my guys and they had already gone through hundreds of bafangs...already aware of these two problems..... they found a percentage of drives with different alignement issues with the bolts...some of the bolt holes weren't even tapped.....so we had to retap or tap about 40 drives which would have gone out to customers and probably caused returns.

Its a constant moving targets selling these drives....they change parts...programming etc....we are able to keep up it but we have become experts on this drive system and sometimes new problems will throw us for a loop. Our shop is really good....and totally understand the bafang motor. but sometimes we hear about a problem and we have already sent some drives out with the problem....which is the case here.

We have stocked up on hundreds of replacment parts on all the different versions of the bbs02 and bbshd.... ironically a lot of dealers including chinese dealers come to us for replacement parts. Some parts such as gaskets we had made ourselves.

Just ordering replacment parts from bafang can be a bear. The owner doesnt believe in wasting space and money on having replacment stocks on hand.... i am like what the hell? So that has become our job. We have to keep hundreds of controllers etc in stock in case of some quality control melt down.

That being said we are very happy with the reliability of the BBSHD drives...and although there have been problems the problems have been small.

Cyclone 3000w is also very relaible....but check this out....we bench test all cyclones when they come in from the manufacturer..... 10 percent are dead on arrival and the manufacturer does not accept returns.....

So we are stuck with this pile of dead cycones that we will use for spare parts if we ever need them.....but so far we have not known any motor part failures in the cyclone.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    commented on 's reply
    yeah we have seen some of the triangle mounting brackets have slightly smaller holes than the bolts....this is an easy fix ....the holes just need to be drilled out a bit.

• Arboh
    replied
    Yes, the triangle bracket.
    I am Quality Manager for a large electronic device and software manufacturer. We have significant numbers of people that have their offices in the factories of our suppliers. Until last year, I was working in new product introduction and spent about 30% of my life in China :-( . Unfortunately it take constant presence, interaction and energy from knowledgeable people to effectively elevate the level of quality that you can expect from any factory. Especially in China. Tough to do unless you are a large company.

Leave a comment:

• CraigAustin
    commented on 's reply
    That's China - brilliant engineers but on a cultural level they just don't understand quality control or customer service.

• Eric Luna
    replied
    you mean in the triangle mounting bracket right? yes we have seen many times these holes need to be drilled out a bit.

Its really hard keeping up with all the Bafang slips..... its really ridiculous what this drive costs they cant keep the quality control together.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Eric... This issue may have more than one facet... Could be thread problems.. but at least on my HD (I turned in a ticket on this about a week ago) the holes in the mounting bracket just do not align with the holes in the HD motor housing. I had to oversize one of the small holes in the mounting bracket to allow the allen bolt to thread into the motor at 90 degrees. If I had tried to thread in the bolt without enlarging the hole size, it would have cross threaded.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    replied
    yes thanks for this we have recently got word of this problem and are now opening every drive and checking the threading before shipment....

Sorry you went through this..... and thanks everyone for assisting us in pinpointing this problem.

Leave a comment:

• g725s
    commented on 's reply
    Bafang should do better, as it is not that hard to check powder coat in the threads or eliminate it to begin with.
    They are charging a pretty penny for these units for what they are, in this day and age anyway.
    Hoping other quality control is better....
    Last edited by g725s; 09-12-2016, 10:16 PM.

• marjamar
    replied
    It's a coating prep issue. We do all types of technical coatings and surface prep, including sandblasting. What has happened is someone either forgot or did not understand any threaded surfaces must be protected during any abrasive prep process and any coating process. Had they done this, there would not have been any issues with bolts not fitting.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied

I experienced the same bracket to motor hole mismatch and reported it through a ticket to Luna Cycle. I explained that if this problem exists on mine, it very likely exists on others as well. Not sure if any action was taken, or how may units are in the supply chain, but I am confident that this issue will continue until somebody works with Bafang to figure our what changed and why.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X