Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Programming cable DRIVERS, does not show under COM ports, shows as "other device"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programming cable DRIVERS, does not show under COM ports, shows as "other device"

Even though this might be obvious to PC users, it was not to me (a Mac user). The programming cable requires drivers. It's difficult to find this information, even if you look on this forum.... thus I am posting this separately, with a more clear subject line, as the information applies to many builder or newbie questions about the programming cable.

I only very recently succeeded (after many failed attempts with multiple PCs) to connect with my BBS02.

My problem was that the cable never showed up under a COM port, always showing up as a "other device" in the device manager. This was true for my PCs running Window XP as well as Windows 7.

On this forum, I first found mention of drivers needed, and some useful links:

http://www.prolific.com.tw/US/ShowPr...id=225&pcid=41 <--- I used a driver from here for XP

http://www.arduined.eu/ch340-windows-8-driver-download/ <--- a driver source mentioned for W8 users

I successfully installed a driver on my oldest machine, a 2004 ThinkPad running XP, and then the cable showed up properly under a COM port. Finally I was able to run Penoff's program (not even in administrator mode - though some might require that), and have happily made adjustments to my BBS02 configuration (mainly toning down the power of the PAS-1, and lower PAS levels, and also reducing the "time to stop" interval).

reference here
    Last edited by retrocycler; 10-28-2016, 07:30 AM. Reason: added tags

I'm guessing that certain (but not all) Windows XP and later systems had the drivers pre-loaded. W10 did not but following the "find a driver?" prompt W10 was able to find (online) and seamlessly install the driver on the Lenovo tablet I'm using. Not quite plug and play but pretty close. Also using Penov.
    Last edited by pliebenberg; 10-29-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pliebenberg View Post
      I'm guessing that certain (but not all) Windows XP and later systems had the drivers pre-loaded. W10 did not but following the "find a driver?" prompt W10 was able to find (online) and seamlessly install the driver on the Lenovo tablet I'm using. Not quite plug and play but pretty close. Also using Penov.
      Just got a new programming cable in 2021, using windows 10 and still had this same issue. But the ch340 chip driver retrocycler linked to fixed my issue.

Just to note, when I tried updating the drive through windows device manager, it stated that no driver was available for my cable, and that no driver was needed. But again, downloading and installing the driver manually worked.
      Last edited by Steve--; 01-02-2021, 09:47 PM.

Comment

It depends on the exact chip your cable is using. Why the manufacturers or vendors can't just tell us which chip it is I don't know. Since most cables the circuit board is covered with heat shrink tubing its not that hard to open it up and look assuming your eyesight is good. Once you identify the chip it usually doesn't take much searching to find the driver.

Comment

Originally posted by 73Eldo View Post
          Why the manufacturers or vendors can't just tell us which chip it is I don't know.
          Well that's pretty simple, it's because when we buy these cables we're not buying them directly from the manufacturer, we're buying them from some middle man who doesn't care about the details. And it's largely because all this stuff is from China, and they're pretty chaotic and unorganized over there, and don't value quality and customer service quite to the same level that we're used to in the states and western Europe.

Comment

Bafang BBS02 and BBSHD Programming Cable from Luna Cycles useless without driver for Windows 10 Home
            Where to find information and driver to make things work, Luna?

Comment

• 73Eldo
              73Eldo commented
              Editing a comment
              Only sure way I know of to get the right driver is to identify which chip your cable uses. There are 3 or 4 real common ones and then maybe a dozen others so trying every one can take a lot of time. Most cables the circuit board is covered with a shrink tubing so you have to take that off so you can see the chip. The chip in question is usually the only one with more than just a couple digits on it. Once you have that number do a search for that number and driver. 94.89547% chance there will be several hits that will take you to the exact driver you need.

You expect that from random internet vendor but you would think a vendor like Luna would take the time to figure out what they are selling us so so many people didn't get stuck on that step in the process. Just a sticker on the package that says 'we don't inspect every cable but we think this batch uses xyz123 chip so you can search that yourself or go to our forum to find the driver'.

OMG! This reminds me of the "old days" . Guess I will return the cable then.

Comment

• 73Eldo
              73Eldo commented
              Editing a comment
              I feel your pain.....

I do all sorts of programming with all sorts of oddball equipment and often have to screw around with workarounds for unsigned drivers and trick windows to get things to work. I even have a windows 95 machine with a floppy drive that I still sometimes need for odd equipment. I'm not saying I'm an expert and really know what I am doing but I have a lot more options and experience than the average person that just wants to go for a bike ride. I still wasted several hours over several days trying to get the darn thing to work.

Attached is the one that worked with the cables I've seen from luna
            Attached Files

Comment

• 73Eldo
              73Eldo commented
              Editing a comment
              That was me 6 months ago. Searching this forum and others "this one worked for me". Download. Install. Nothing. uninstall. Next........

Never did find one. The one I found based on the number I was able to read off the chip didn't come up related to bafang or bikes at all that I saw, it came up related to Arduino programming.

• AZguy
              AZguy commented
              Editing a comment
              The one I attached worked with at least three or four luna supplied ones so it's worth a shot

Serial to USB has always been one of the more fussy devices to get PC's to work with right... Although I've not yet come up with one that I can't find drivers for but then again I'll dig around in the device manager to get a better idea of the manufacturer and try them in virtual machines until I find one that works - I'll reset the machine to the pre-driver state between each try since loading improper ones for the same manufacturer can get you "stuck" and tearing out the old drivers isn't trivial like restoring an old VM state... I've got a very old 232 to USB (20yrs?) and it's pretty fussy, but I've got at least a few dozen other ones and yet to not be able to find the proper driver

Maybe its the chip. I see damage. I'll contact support.

Comment

Thanks AZguy for providing driver that works with Windows 10 Home.

Comment

• AZguy
                AZguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for letting us know!

• 73Eldo
                73Eldo commented
                Editing a comment
                So its working now? And the damage isn't hurting it? Maybe that is why it doesn't have any label it? Damage was caught before the labeling process and it was put into the slightly defective sale bin?

In this case the version of windows doesn't seem to be the major issue, you need a driver for the specific chip used in the cable. The people making (and to a degree selling) these cables just don't seem to care what chip it has or in your case even label the chip.

Aside from a little ding on the lower right corner, it didn't really look damaged to me - more like residue or something

Most every time I buy just the little converter board the chipset is advertised... they may not be as specific as to which chip as I'd like but they'll at least specify the manufacturer (e.g. FTDI, prolific, etc.)... OTOH product utilizing a converter like these programming cables it's often pretty dodgy... unless they product brings a lot to the table and I'm confident they will have drivers bundled I'll usually just buy a converter from one of the more reputable folks like FTDI (likely my favorite, but I've used plenty of others) and whatever connectors/cables I need and put them together myself since it's almost always very easy and I know I'll do fine with the drivers.

FWIW all the luna cables I've seen have used these drivers - that's far from saying they all do or will tho... These are CH341 devices from WinChipHead (WCH) which is sort of a more obscure chinese supplier than the bigger name guys like FTDI or prolific but they are popular among the arduino guys

One big reason USB to serial is more of a challenge for PC's is there's not really a standard off-the-shelf part that handles the specific function and no common drivers... the devices are typically little bitty microcontrollers with built-in ROM and RAM, a USB and one or more UART's although some of the fancier ones offer SPI, I2C, GPIO (often will emulate JTAG), etc. programmed however the supplier decided to do it so there's no real "standard" for the USB drivers and the manufacturer's usually need to supply them. FTDI's are common enough that many windows versions will have the drivers or at least know where to find them on an internet connection. I've found it to be terribly dependent on which windows version, not just 7 vs. 10, etc. but also which "sub-version" or build...

Comment

Super thanks to AZguy for pointing to the driver for ch340. I purchased the cable from Amazon, but the documentation from supplier was sorely lacking.
                My Windows10 would not look online for a driver.

Initially the COM device was not even showing on my laptop.
                I had to add it through the Device Manager -> Action -> All legacy hardware.

Without the Internet and you helpful enthusiasts I would have been lost and given up.

Comment

Sorry for the double post...but this might be the correct area:

I guess I'm another guy who can't install the USB programming cable driver. I'm trying to install on an old Window 7 laptop, which is working fine, except for this driver

I followed smov's excellent instructions...even had the same CH340G chip as him and downloaded the same driver. I have cleared all of the old ports (there were only 2)

When I try to install the DRVSETUP64.EXE, as administrator, it looks the the driver is installing and I get the message "The drive is successfully Pre-installed"

*** but the USB serial driver will not show up under my Ports (COM & LPT) in Device Manager, now matter what I try ***

I used the instructions to delete hidden COM ports (which deleted 2 old ports), but does not help me add the CH341SER driver.

I even tried to uninstall the driver using button the DRVSETUP64.EXE, in case there was an older version, but when I click uninstall, I get the message "No device is found!

ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I burned a whole sunday afternoon on this, and all I want to do is decrease my Level 1 current limit %. I'm getting so much assist on level 1, it's really hard to add any force peddling, even on level ground.

Thanks to anyone that can help!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X