Chain wears out too quickly with BBS02 52v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain wears out too quickly with BBS02 52v

My chain wore out to 75% after about 500 km of mountain biking up and down the local mountain. Is this normal to wear out so quickly? I use PAS 2 or 3 and throttle most of the times, hose off my bike and relube after each dirty ride. I have the shift sensor and sometimes the shift is not completed before the motor kicks in and am wondering if this could be the reason why it wore out so quickly. I'm going to monitor this new chain more closely and clean it more often with a chain cleaner tool. I also bought a more expensive Shimano 9 speed chain designed for XT, my previous chain was designed for Deore. What mileage are other people getting?

Id say thats about right, I bought my bike used with 280 miles on it, and from the start the chain felt and looked pretty beat up. There is a lot of pull going on and sometimes the pull is too strong and is stretching the chain, this happens most when you jam on your throttle while going up hill. Anyways, just what I have noticed in my less than a month on ebikes.

Comment

I find that the straighter my chain line, the longer the chain lasts. Smoother shifting helps a lot. It is a lot of torque on a slack chain. My Alfine 8 internal hub with a straight chain line is showing no wear at 500 Km. I only shift with the motor off on that bike. I use a left brake cutoff as a clutch on my derailleur setups and that works well.

Comment

I'd agree with Peter - I'm a little past the 500km equiv. mark, and no chain / sprocket wear issues so far (straight chain line, Eclipse ring to a 20 tooth steel cog, via a KMC X8.93 6, 7, 8-Speed chain).

I'm checking for wear via the chain ring "lift" method (severe wear example) :

Click image for larger version

Name:	easy-way-to-check-chain-wear-cyclingtips-2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	22175

At this point, I can't lift up the chain at all.
        2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
        3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Nexus INTER-3 IGH
        4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
        5th build, 2019 Crust Evasion, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH
        Other, Electronic throttle lock

Comment

Do you shift your bike when climbing? That will drastically increase chain wear.

Comment

• ebikerman
            ebikerman commented
            Editing a comment
            I do with this bike and may start using my left brake to stop the motor instead of relying on the shift sensor while climbing uphill. My other hybrid bike(no shift sensor) shows no signs of wear so maybe the shift sensor on this bike isn't doing its job. I'll use the ebrake from now on and see if I can make this chain last longer.

Wow I think something must be wrong as I have over 1,200 km on a new chain and it does not show any wear at all. I push my BBSHD to the limits as most of the time I am in the highest pedal assist (4-5). But I only ride about 30km a day on average.

Comment

One thing I have noticed that I need to do regularly, in addition to cleaning and lubing my chain, is to scrape all the gunk out of my cassette and derailleur cogs. Especially the smaller rear gears. They get packed with a combination of lube, dirt, and foliage so much that the chain starts to run too high on the teeth, where it wears fast. Took me a while to notice this happening.

I'm using a 'drying' type lube that might make this worse, as it results in something like asphalt cole slaw hardening in there. But do check for this.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Working...
            X