Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery / Motor Connector Other Than Andersen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery / Motor Connector Other Than Andersen?

I had to replace my Andersen connectors, as they got pretty weathered over the past 6 months. My dad ended up suggesting this type:

I went with them and they've been working fine so far. Is there any reason these aren't typically used as opposed to Andersen? They seem much more robust and weather-resistant.

I guess the ultimate weather-proof solution would be to just solder the wires directly, which is likely what some of you out there are doing.

What gauge wire is that? I don't think those will have the amp carrying capacity that you need.

Comment

Just don't, use the XT60 or XT90 from Luna. Your dad is doubtless a great fellow but those are best left to 12v systems.

Comment

Those connectors are only 16ga wire! do not use them! They will get hot, melt and maybe catch fire if you run many amps through them for long! Use spark arresting XT90's. Safety over saving money!

Comment

Yikes. First time coming back to this thread since I posted it. Thank you all very much.

Now I'm considering just soldering the wires together instead of using a connector at all. Is there anything wrong with this method?

Comment

Nothing at all, however it would make removing the battery difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by Rix Ryds View Post
              Nothing at all, however it would make removing the battery difficult.
              Oh, well I have a Shark Pack. So removing the battery is not a problem. I'd just be soldering the mounting bracket directly to the motor.

Comment

That is fine as long as you do not need to hook up a backup battery like a mini cube or triangle pack.

Comment

Originally posted by Rix Ryds View Post
                  That is fine as long as you do not need to hook up a backup battery like a mini cube or triangle pack.
                  Right, I don't plan on doing that anytime soon. Shark Pack is fine for me at this point. Hopefully I am at least a couple of years away from thinking about either a new bike or a new battery, where undoing this wiring would be a concern. Ideally many years.

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't trim any slack then. Leave the wires long for future work. It won't be as neat but you may be glad in the future.

• Gmullz
                    Gmullz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's the plan!

XT90-S Anti-Spark Connector (2pairs/bag)

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/xt90-s-a...pairs-bag.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	61690.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	39978

Comment

Working...
                  X