Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to add throttle functionality on the European BBS01?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to add throttle functionality on the European BBS01?

Hello there, as I (alas) currently reside outside of the US, I am stuck with German bikes equipped with Euro-spec 250 W motors which have a "push assist" instead of the "throttle assist" feature. In other words, European bureaucracy went so far as to forbid all E-bikes with the throttle-on-demand grip provided one does not want to buy a special insurance and has his/her bike treated like a car. I am a newbie in the E-bike DIY world so I was wondering then if it is possible:
    - to buy a bicycle with European BBS01 Bafang motor and then hook up a throttle switch on it? Does anybody know what I have to buy to this end? Only throttle twist or special cables or anything else?
    - to replace the display I will get with a pre-assembled bike with the newest sexy Bafang DPC-14 display sold by Luna?

The funny thing is that European Bafang motors are still equipped with a simple thumb-throttle similar to ones sold by Luna, but they work like on/off switches for the "push-assist" function (up to 6 km/h). Therefore I hope there should be a way how to boost it. I really need a normal American throttle feature because of the health issues. It is the only way to stay active after a surgery.

Thank you for any help!

Hypothetically you could put a BBS02 controller onto that BBS01 which would do the trick. You can use throttle, dpc14, all that.
    Works as long as you reduce max amps to 18A. To do this you need to buy the programming cable. Reprogramming is easier with this custom written Bafang Configuration Software

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
      Hypothetically you could put a BBS02 controller onto that BBS01 which would do the trick. You can use throttle, dpc14, all that.
      Works as long as you reduce max amps to 18A. To do this you need to buy the programming cable. Reprogramming is easier with this custom written Bafang Configuration Software
      Sounds like a plan, thank you so much for the advice!

Comment

Sure. Please keep in mind if buying a bbs02 controller you probably want the version A. But it would be good to check the shape of the controllers and see which one matches up best.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
          bbs02 controller
          On second thought, I'd like to ask one more question please. Is it really necessary to change a controller to get throttle worked normally? On my European bike there is still a thumb-throttle that looks like Bafang stock. It just does not work as it is supposed to: it accelerates the bike to 4 m/h speed like "push assist" in an off/on manner.
          I wonder if simply configuring the current controller to increase a max. speed in a throttle mode tab or whatever settings could do the trick?

Comment

Google the manual and see if the second level menu on the display allows you add throttle functionality. You may also be able to reprogram the controller with a PC a la the Luna Hot Rod Programming which allows throttle on PAS 0.

Comment

Working...
            X