• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone use a Wide Ratio Cassette w/ BBSHD

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	446.9 KB
ID:	28937Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	535.1 KB ID:	28933Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	216.9 KB ID:	28934Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	177.5 KB ID:	28935Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	458.4 KB ID:	28936 I'm really enjoying the torque of the HD on my FS MTB. I've had it set up with the Luna 30T Mighty Mini Chainring and a 11-34 cassette. Its really perfect for off-roading. No gears left for high speed pedaling on the street though.

I thought if I could fit a wide ratio cassette then I could go up to a larger chainring. Then I could keep the low end ratio and actually pedal along with the motor up to 25 mph or so on the street. (It'll do 30 mph on the flats with the throttle, just no way to even come close to pedaling that fast though.)

I see that SRAM is now selling a 8-speed wide ratio drive train for ebikes. Its called the EX1 and has an 11-48 cassette. Looks really nice. Then I could even go to a 42T chainring with lots of offset (e.g. Luna Eclipse) with that 48T granny cog.

But at $600 I wanted to try something a little cheaper.

So I bought an inexpensive cassette (SunRace CSM980--$36). Quickly I realized I'd need a different derailleur or at least a different hanger. So I got a hanger extender (Wolf Tooth Road Link--$22). Then I fitted a PreciAlps 36T chainring ($65).

I was kind of amazed to find everything actually worked really well on the stand and even on the flat street. But when I use the 40T cog going up something really steep I get the clickety, clickety. I tried everything. Adjusting stops, indexing, b-screw, longer chain. Always little noisy in first gear under load.

So I put the Bafang "trash-can-lid" 46T chainring on it. Seems to like that. I guess that means its the chain line. Didn't have that problem with the 30T Mighty Mini and a 34T granny cog.

The PreciAlps 36T has the same offset as the 30T Mighty Mini so I don't really get it. I do wish PreciAlps (and Lekkie) put 5-10mm more offset on the 36T. There's room. Can always shim it out. Might have been enough to help.

Anyway, does anyone have any experience fitting a wide ratio cassette? Maybe the SRAM EX1 is actually the only real answer?
    Last edited by skymon; 02-26-2017, 08:07 AM.

For wide range i went to sturmey archer with 3 speed internal. Sram also has a dual drive igh cassette. The gear range is expanded 33% on high end and low end. I seldom use derailleure anymore. Use only part of cassette that is closest to straight chainline. I switch from 52 chain ring to 38 for off road to street.
    ​​​​​ phenominal off road experience to high road efficiency and speed. Expect more gear range and less wear to drive train to contribute to even greater satisfaction. $100 upgrade. used old front shifter and luckily had wheel and spokes to lace into old wheel..
    Use sheldon browns gear calculator to check your exoectations. The high gear ranges are to be avoided unless you like crazy downhill adventure.

Comment

Working...
    X