Spark location anderson connectors vs hardwire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark location anderson connectors vs hardwire

I'd like to hardwire my BBSHD to my 52v shark pack for a very clean install. The shark and controller came with anderson power pole connectors and clearly the spark is between the connectors. My question: if I hardwire the shark pack cradle to the BBSHD, will it spark at the battery-to-cradle location? Hardwiring seems clean, but a spark between the battery pack and the battery mount seems like a worse location than at the anderson connectors. Of course, I could use xt-90s, but I think the hardwire would be the cleanest install.

After going through a motor swap this weekend, I'm glad that there was a connector between the shark pack and the motor (in my case stock Andersons) - I always pull the pack before mucking with the BBSHD and related.
    BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 6

Comment

The spark is caused by a rush of current to the controller as the newly connected battery charges the capacitors in the controller. When a capacitor is first connected to battery it act like a dead short until the voltage in the capacitor is equal to the voltage in the battery. It doesn't matter where the connection is made.

I would recommend using anti-spark connectors when every possible. One of the ways manufactures are trying to save money is to minimize the internal circuit protection between the high voltage power electronics and the low voltage control electronics.

The anti-spark connectors work by using a ring connected to a resistor on the socket end of the connector. When you first insert the plug into the socket, the capacitor charges slowly through the resistor. When the plug is fully inserted, the resistor is bypassed for a low resistance (high efficiency) connection.

My guess is that some of the unexplainable controller and throttle errors that customer service sees is a result of sparking. So if your system sparks when connecting the battery, it is safer to use an anti-spark connector.

Comment

Working...
      X