BBSHD running extremely hot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD running extremely hot

I have 800 miles on unit, but problem has been there awhile. My longest commute is 8 miles, so 20-30 minutes ride. Barely touching the motor after 15 minutes or so is like putting your hand on a hot stove burner. Along with this my range has decreased from 25 to 12 miles on full charge. Running 52v 13.5 amp shark. Been communicating with Luna but no resolution yet. May send unit back to them for analysis and repair, but looking for feedback from the forum. Ambient temps here will soon hit the hundreds, so very concerned about ongoing heat damage, performance loss. Swapped out a bms earlier, no help. Battery pack doesn't appear to have any heat issues.

Has there been a gradual decrease in performance over time?

This would lead me to think about a mechanical issue such as a bad bearing getting worse or something rubbing. Do you feel comfortable taking the drive apart and looking for lossness or wear?

My second guess would be that the the magnet is degrading because of the heat. would you mind taking it for some brief rides at relatively slow speeds once in a high gear with the motor lugging and once in a low gear with the motor spinning freely? It would help us gather more information.

A third guess would be something wi wrong with the hall sensors which detects the motor's position. Imagine pushing down on your pedals as hard as you can when the pedal all ready in the down position. You would be exerting a lot of effort but the bike would not move. Is there roughness or a weird hum that seems to change as the speed of the motor changes?

Comment

How hard is it to pedal with it cut off and does it make any noises?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. No loss in performance, still get 30+ mph. 10 minutes coming home from work today, stopped and motor already hot.
        The loss of range has occurred tho. Maybe just 12 miles now. You asked about noises. With each acceleration, ill get 3 - 4 internal clicks inside the motor. It's very momentary, but power on display will drop dramatically, as does forward speed. It's always the same process, sounds like plastic gears slipping for just a bit, then engaging. With that, no matter how hard I tighten both motor nuts, it works loose a bit and these clicks drive the motor into downtube. Have a work associate with electrical and motor background. Might have him look at it. Shipment back to Luna seems like it'll take awhile for repairs.

Comment

+1. It sounds like a quick look around at the guts is the next step.

As an aside, when a technician talks about a decrease in performance, they include efficiency as a performance measure. To an ebike mechanic, a decrease in range mean a decrease in performance. Sorry, the lingo can be confusing....

Comment

Working...
          X