Bbshd at 1000 km report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bbshd at 1000 km report

I thought that I would do a 1000km update on my BBSHD(s) (I have a 29er and a fat bike with a total of over 1000km mostly on trails and snow). If you wanna skip the review altogether the final report is "wow, holy fuk'n wow".

I'm 50 and have been a hard core mountain biker for over 20 years. I live in BC in a small town in the Rockies with an extensive, world class mountain bike trail network that gets groomed for snow riding in the winter. I'll skip the politics of trail riding with an eBike for now and leave that for another post but nonetheless I have ridden almost exclusively trails for 1000+ km with the BBSHD. I came to eBikes after my biking career came to an abrupt end this past year after open heart surgery for an aneurysm in my aorta. I now have medical restrictions that don't allow my heart rate or blood pressure to go up. I pretty much retired from biking and started selling off my bikes...

Not sure how I stumbled on the whole eBike thing but I ended up on the LUNA site and ordered one of the first HD units for an old 29er back in the fall. Along with a 52v/20ah triangle pack. When I did that first build I expected click, click, click and away you go...but truth is there will always be a little mucking around with bottom bracket spacing, maybe a bit of soldering but I'm sure anyone with a tiny bit of skill, access to the interwebs and patience can make it work with almost any bike.

The first build I used the stock 46T ring. I found that the gearing resulted in speeds too fast for riding uphill technical trails. So as soon as LUNA came out with the 42T Eclipse I ordered that and it made climbing steep technical trails easier. The motor is so powerful it can overcome the shitty stock gearing and send you uphill at scary speeds. When the snow came the skinny tired 29er was useless. My wife said I "needed " to get a fat bike for the winter. (Me so lucky). I went with Bikes Direct and bought Motobecane Titanium Sturgis with a Bluto fork on the front. I wanted steel or titanium cause I wreck shit and with the added horsepower of the motor carbon or aluminum just scared me a bit. Even though the bottom bracket is 100mm there is no way the 100mm BBSHD will work due to the ultrawide rear hub at 197mm. I went with the 120mm HD unit and ordered the Mighty Mini 33T ring the day it came out. To make it work I had to make a bottom bracket spacer of around 12mm for the drive side out of a steel pipe with internal diameter of 36mm if I remember correctly. I also needed to buy an offset crankarm for the non drive side to clear the chainstay. (Available from a LUNA competitor).

With the 33T ring this rig is unstoppable. If you are a trail rider the 33T is mandatory. It will climb anything you have the skill to climb. The HD is bombproof. Low RPMs and low speeds are no problem for this thing. The downside to the 33T is a top speed on flat ground of around 50kmh (?25mph). Thats plenty for me but maybe not for you.

I have had a few issues with the fatty HD. Firstly, I had a little play in the axle, a couple mm side to side. I checked with support (Hey Louis!) and we elected to watch and wait. I rode it hard and it never got worse. Then the unit started to get loud, like gears working, not grinding. Checked with Louis again. All along this path I always had the option to return the unit for warranty, but we decided to let me repack it with grease. I did that (easy) and it helped for a week then the noise started again. More grease. Not sure it helped talked to Louis again and we decided to replace 3 different bearings. (Shipped free of charge to me) Again easy maybe an hour. But it didn't help. In the end the noise settled on its own... (was it the grease?) and this thing continues to rock.

Other issues, I lost a tooth off of the Mighty Mini. Hasn't really affected performance at all. The velcro triangle pack didn't hold up to my abuse. All the velcro tabs eventually pulled out, the zipper blew up and seams came apart. Luckily my wife has a heavy duty sewing machine and upgraded it for me -no problem since.

A few other thoughts, I ride with no throttle, I actually took it off, PAS only. I reprogramed to Keplers settings for PAS (1 is 10%, 2 is 20%, 3 is 30% etc) I think it gives a more linear feel than stock. This feels more like biking to me . For the bike to move I have to pedal. But if I come to a hill I just pop up the PAS and up I go. As far as programming goes I struggled with the cord /computer like everyone else but eventually it will work. I think there is a fix for that now. So far the bikes drive train has held up. I think it may be time for a spring tune up.

The final summary...BBSHD is unstoppable, indistructable. I have tried my best to push it to its limits and I can't. LUNA rocks. This is a new product and a new company but have no fear they stand behind their products 100%. Fat bikes and the BBSHD were made for each other. Let me know if you have any questions. Sorry for the rambling post.

Thanks LUNA for rescuing my biking career.

I forgot to mention I don't use any brake cut offs. I just stop pedaling/pedal backwards to shift. Without the throttle and brake cables the wiring clutter is greatly reduced.

Comment

Great post - thanks for sharing

Comment

Really great to hear things like that.... getting out and riding is so important.... we live in a screen addicted world and its a wonderful thing when any of us can get outside and just enjoy the real world....and ebikes make that easier. Even building ebikes is refreshing change compared to screen staring.

Comment

Oh forgot to mention we just got offset crank arms in stock....we are adding them to the website today :)

Comment

Great story!

Comment

Great story. I like that it was after 1000km rather than first ride. I used Kepler's pas settings as well. Let's you chose a little help from the motor when you feel like pedaling and getting some exercise or you need extra range. Otherwise you start with lot's of motor and go up from there.
              Do something that is good for your health, good for your wallet and good for the planet - get an e-bike.

www.poweredride.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lostboy423 View Post
                Luckily my wife has a heavy duty sewing machine and upgraded it for me -no problem since.
                My bag has busted its zippers. How much to get an upgraded battery bag? Just saying... :D

Comment

yeah the next zipper bags we have are going to have upgraded zippers. The problem with the zipper bags is with any over-sized pack that stresses the zipper you have to hold the zipper shut as you zip or the zipper will break. The new bags we should have in a few weeks use a much heavier duty zipper and stitching that should fix this problem.

Comment

lol. That's good to know. But I was hoping LostBoy423's wife might be able to sew a custom heavy duty battery bag. You never know maybe she does sewing on the side.

I've even contemplated taking up leather working just to make a nice custom battery bag. :rolleyes:

Comment

I don't think she can charge as little as an assembly line in China....

Comment

Hi Lostboy
                        Great to hear you are back into enjoying MTB ing again. I am also a recent convert from regular mountain bikes to the electric world. For me it was more a replacement for my gas dirt bikes that were just getting too noisy for me and also wanting a light weight bike that I could do some hill climbing in the trails. I hear you are in the Rockies. By any chance are you in Canmore Alberta. My sister in law is in Canmore and it's my favourite place to ride. If you are ever in BC give a shout out and we can do some rides together on the Sunshine Coast here where I live.......wayne

Comment

Greetings,
                          I too have been saved from a bike-less life by Lunacycle and the Bafang mid-drive.. My problem was my left knee. Now I am loving riding again. See my long winded post here…..

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/builds/ebike-building-directions/10591-bbs02-kona-splice-a-bunch-of-aftermarket-bike-parts-super-fun-trail-commuter-bike

As for the bag zipper… I have not owned a triangle bag, but I do know a bit about creating things that can withstand shock and vibration..
                          I used to work as a licensed aircraft mechanic. Most of my work was on Float planes in Alaska and Washington. These planes take a terrible beating when they land and take off. I also had the great experience (along with a team of people) to design, build and drive a class 7 pickup truck in the Baja 500 and other professional off-road races.. So here are a few lessons learned …. And at the end… a design tip for a Luna triangle bag improvement.
                          Facts:
                          1)You cannot destroy or eliminate energy, you can only convert it from one form to another, and you can (in some cases) change that rate at which it is converted. Take friction brakes as an example, When applied, you use friction to convert kinetic energy into heat.
                          2)The little things matter. A LOT.
                          Examples
                          When we designed the first front end suspension for our class 7 truck, we simply reinforced the common bar with welded on angle iron to make it stronger.. Guess what… all we accomplished was to transfer all of the shock and vibration energy to the other front suspension components which quickly failed. It was apparent to us that if we kept reinforcing things.. just making them beefier, that our truck would be so heavy that it would not move. (exaggeration for emphasis)
                          So on the next version of our common bar we machined it out of chrome moly steel into a tapered section (thinnest in the middle) to allow it to flex. We maximized the radius on all bar diameter changes, then we had the bar heated treated to be like spring steel. Finally, we coated the bar with tool grip to prevent nicks and scratches from rocks that would create stress risers. (A little thing to prevent catastrophic failure that could occur if a rock scratched the machined surface of the bar, creating a stress riser that could cause the bar to fail when flexing under shock loading.) The goal of all of this was to create a bar that would flex under shock to slowly dissipate the energy that was quickly absorbed by a shock load. The net result of this effort was a “bomb-proof” common bar that absorbed and dissipated enough energy to save the other components that it was attached to without breaking… Like the Willow tree that bends but does not break.
                          Application:
                          I have not personally seen the Luna triangle bag. So I am making an assumption that the bag does not employ any materials that stretch or give under load, and that is why the Velcro and the zipper fails. They have to absorb shock loads too quickly and they do not have the strength to do so. If I am correct, there are several potential bag re-design solutions.
                          1)Mount/sew the zipper to strong but stretchy material, then sew the stretchy material to the not so stretchy bag… Basically you are putting springs between the zipper and the bag to absorb and dissipate the shock loading of a battery bouncing up and down…and saving the zipper from trying to do this job…and failing.
                          2)Use some stretchy material in the bottom of the bag to absorb and dissipate the “bouncing battery” energy.
                          3)Use foam on the underside of the battery to act as compression springs… again, to absorb and dissipate energy.
                          4)Employ two or all three of the above changes.
                          Last edited by Arboh; 07-23-2016, 10:56 PM.

Comment

None of the triangle bags are good at hanging, they all need support from the downtube. EM3ev even puts directions and a disclaimer on theirs.

Please Note, this bag is intended to be fitted into a regular triangle frame, where the downtube will support the weight of the battery. The upper straps alone will not support a heavy battery, it may cause the bag to tear and rip if you try to do so. The upper straps should not be so tight, so that they are supporting the battery weight, only tight enough to stabilise the bag in the frame. If your frame is much larger than the bag, some additional material under, or on top of the bag may improve the installation.

Some versions from other vendors ship with padding. I just used packing foam strips that came with my Luna battery. I wish someone would do an upgraded version with the zip ties. That bag is the cleanest install IMO.

Comment

Working...
                            X