more speed/torque on hills....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more speed/torque on hills....

I have a BBHSD and a 52v Panasonic 13.5ah Bottle Battery and a Luna Eclipse Chain Ring. I would like to get more speed going up hills. Currently I average 10 to 15 mph up hill, and 30 to 35 mph on the flats. Are there any mods, or programming that would help with this. Attached is my bike in the most recent state,Thanks.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0241.JPG
Views:	936
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	33517

Anybody???

Comment

That sounds like decent speeds. A 30T front chainring might help the climb but would hurt the top speed. Luna has a higher power (ludacris) controller than can run at 50 amps and push the BBSHD harder, but they don't sell it on its own and you would need a new battery with a higher Amp BMS to take advantage of it. That bike looks like a solid commuter setup, but I would not push it much faster without suspension or disc brakes. Maybe time to upgrade to a faster setup.

Comment

The.amount of power you have is not capable of going much past 35. No matter what the gearing or programming you use. Even if you can pedal hard and fast 40 doubtful on flat no wind. But ...
        possibilities for increasing top speed do exist..
        most of your power is in pushing the air out of your way. Considering the efficiency of the bbshd at 85% and drive train losses your maximum power avaiible is under 1.5 hp. You need all that to push the air out of your way sitting up on a bicycle like u show.
        consider that human powered vehicle record is is 89.6 mph. ( human power not even close to horse power)
        That is a very special bicycle with exteremely low air drag coefficient.
        If you put bbshd on a bike like this, 100 mph very possible. There are external controllers available that can increase voltage and amperage that you can push through this motor. Evrn then you are not likely to get speed much above 40 mph easily.
        if you use a watt meter, temperature gauge
        Watching them will tell you if you are using power efficiently, safely, and to fullest extent. Remember to watch road too!
        ​​​​​​​ really your expectations would probably be met best with higher watt motor and big battery. Motorcycle over electric bicycle.

Comment

• craigsj
          craigsj commented
          Editing a comment
          "Considering the efficiency of the bbshd at 85%..."

Do you have a reference for this? I've been interested in knowing this number.

I agree, more power is what you need. A smaller chainring would help you get moving on the steepest hills, but more power is what will help you climb faster. The first thing keeping you from having more power is your battery - its 30A BMS is already maxed out by the stock BBSHD. 52V * 30A means that 1560W is the most it can output continuously so you would need to upgrade your battery first, no matter what. The other limitation is the controller - short of getting your hands on a ludicrous controller, you would need to research wiring an external controller to your BBSHD. If you didn't want to go that route, you could switch to a different drive like 3KW Cyclone, Tangent, etc. so you can run more amps, more volts, or both.
        Last edited by scuzzycard; 04-25-2017, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Thanks, all good advise. Might upgrade my battery to get the higher amps out of the bms. A ludicrous controller would be nice but that's at least 1k for controller and battery. Maybe a mini cyclone. I believe I would still need to upgrade my battery most likely. Always more money.

Comment

• Joe Remi
            Joe Remi commented
            Editing a comment
            The question is if you really need to spend all that money. Of course it's your cash and if you want to make the upgrades go ahead, but the numbers you're showing for hills and flats on that frame look pretty reasonable to me. Any non-assist cyclist would kill to hit 10-15mph on a climb; I'm not sure you need more than that unless you're commuting and really hurting for time.

• craigsj
            craigsj commented
            Editing a comment
            Agree with Joe. Regarding the battery, your current one at 30A is likely to have a voltage sag no worse than maybe 5V, so replacing it can only get some of that sag back. Taking 3V less sag with a high current pack, that would mean maybe 75 watts more peak power at the tire. You will be disappointed with that investment, costly with little return.

Assuming you are choosing the appropriate gear, the only real path other than wholesale replacement is to get a programming cable and look for settings that might be holdingyou back. No one can tell you more given the lack of information. In the BBSHD things like "keep current" and "speed %" can have a great effect on your results. Look there. Also, if you're using throttle then make sure the throttle is programmed to use PAS 9 and that 9 is set to "100,100" with a "keep current" of 100. Otherwise you will not get max power. While you are there, check that your current setting is 30 rather than 25. If it's 25 now you'll be pleased with the change.

Depending on the hill and the load, though, your speed may be realistic as others have already said.

For more speed
          Thinner tires higher pressure.(then no stopping hard ride and no grip on trails , as well as turns slip bike on to pavement. Lighter weight means more flex in frame less durable unable to last with extra power put into drive train.
          so aero bars and streamlining. Thinking of vinyl blow up fairing and tail piece.
          Extra speed means extra money loss of safety and extra maintenance.

Comment

I would not recommend thinner tires on a non suspension commuter bike.
            As mentioned above a programming cable would be the cheapest fist step.

Comment

• Gr8fun
              Gr8fun commented
              Editing a comment
              That was an old post. Most ridiculous thing i did. No more thin tires. The extra speed is negligible but the lack of control stopping etc is maximum. 1.90 minimum from now on. Added Front suspension is great. Can run throttle, kick back with cup of coffee on way to work. Before i would be wearing the cup.
              8000 miles 1.5 years. Getting there and back is more important than absolute speed.
          Working...
          X