Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I buy spare parts to have on hand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I buy spare parts to have on hand?

Just wondering if it would be worth it to go ahead and buy spare BBS02 parts ahead of time to have on hand. Are there certain parts that WILL wear out after a certain amount of use? Nylon gear maybe? Anything else?

PS my build is less than 6 weeks old and I have 360 miles on it already.

I would..especially if it is critical like for your work or only transportation.
    I would have a backup throttle, program cable or display or jumper for evaluating display problems or bypassing if need be,
    and a clutch and primary gear.

Comment

I was wondering this same thing, thanks for the info

Comment

• paxtana
        paxtana commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah man no problem. I would also go for a spare controller as well, but that gets a bit spendy. Probably the most common failure point though.

It won't run w/o a display so if this is a critical transport link you better have one on hand. Displays are vulnerable to crash damage and water intrusion in a way that controllers are not. Still, at $99 a spare controller is not a bad idea either. The speed sensor is cheap and will compromise your ride although it will not stop you if it breaks.

Comment

I have a spare display, throttle, and controller on hand. Even if your eBike isn't mission critical in your day to day life, it's nice to have spares for troubleshooting purposes alone. If you have a problem, and you don't know the source, are you really going to want to buy one part at a time? I know I didn't. I ordered both a display and controller when I didn't know the source of a problem I had a few months ago. I didn't want to try a new display, find out it was the controller, and then have to wait for another shipment.

You'll also want to have a jumper to bypass the display. You can use the programming cable for this.

Comment

You can also make a jumper as well. Here's one made by ykick..

I made one based off his advice and pic and works if you put it on those pins..mine doesn't look as nice as his though :)

Comment

• Rodney64
            Rodney64 commented
            Editing a comment
            does this give you the full range of pass levels as well as throttle.

• OptimusPrime
            OptimusPrime commented
            Editing a comment
            You get pas1 and throttle

• ykick
            ykick commented
            Editing a comment
            Seemed like I got full throttle and PAS level 9 on either Luna or Bafang programming.

No display, EBrakes,Gear sensor, Speed sensor(torque sensor) = no problems.All the above CAN be replaced with your brain. I do carry a spare throttle, BBSHD Clutch, Chain(cut to length), and enough tools to fix most anything. KISS (Keep it Simple Stupid).
          Last edited by mrm; 04-27-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Most important spare for me is usually an extra charger. Maybe not another "big alloy" which sits at a charging station but at least a cheapo black plastic for backup, backpack and travel use?

Most anybody who's ever been "grounded" due to a duff charger will probably stock up....

Comment

• OptimusPrime
              OptimusPrime commented
              Editing a comment
              I think you are right, I went through 3 so called advanced Luna chargers before getting one that worked. Than's the weakest link for sure.

• Fred
              Fred commented
              Editing a comment
              Agree 100%. And also a good practice to test your "spare" periodically to be sure it is charging properly so that when the time comes that you really need it, it is there for you.

Originally posted by paxtana View Post

I made one based off his advice and pic and works if you put it on those pins..mine doesn't look as nice as his though :)
            What is this "display bypass" cable you speak of? If it allows the PAS and throttle to function without the display, how does it know what settings to use? Aren't all those settings stored within the display module itself? I'm a bit confused on this and would like to understand the implications of using a "display bypass" cable. Thanks.
            MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
            2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11
            2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive
            2018 Surly ECR 1x7
            1991 Schwinn Crosspoint 7spd (BBS02B)

Comment

Same thing that happens when you plug in the program cable. When those pins in that pic are shorted, you can hit the throttle and it'll work. See here for more info
              http://www.poweredride.com/info/dump...isplay-options

Comment

The cable used for programming the motor was discovered to also bypass the display and still allow use of the throttle and one of the pas modes. So this is a great way to help troubleshoot the system. You can just plug this cable in where you would normally plug in the display to the wiring harness and you can eliminate or confirm the display as defective! So as not to have use the download cable ( which is an optional item for purchase) some resourceful people have learned that you could just short a couple pins in the wiring harness and do the same thing. I consider this approach dangerous though because it is just too easy to short the wrong pins and disaster will ensue!

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post

The concept is valid if you are experienced but understand that shorting the wrong pins will BLOW your controller, personally I think you are asking for trouble. Also correct you can use the programming cable as for emergency /troubleshooting tool.

I made my own emergency / troubleshooting plug from ordering the HIGO mini B5 cable end. Very compact and will fit in you tire kit. The BBSHD will run without the display, speed sensor, e-brake switches, gear sensor and throttle, as the controller will default to its base programmed defaults.
                  BBSHD Emergency Plug

For spare parts I very much agree for getting a spare controller and charger, I would also get a spare throttle as well and that can get you going.

Attached Files

Comment

• OptimusPrime
                    OptimusPrime commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like that plug you made!

regarding the pins to jump: There are 5 pins. Looking at the female end of the cable with the notch at the top, counting clockwise, it looks like pin 1 and 3 are jumped (1 being the closest pin to the right of the plastic notch and 3 being the pin at the six o'clock position) Are those the pins to jump??

Comment

Originally posted by bandrus21 View Post
                    regarding the pins to jump: There are 5 pins. Looking at the female end of the cable with the notch at the top, counting clockwise, it looks like pin 1 and 3 are jumped (1 being the closest pin to the right of the plastic notch and 3 being the pin at the six o'clock position) Are those the pins to jump??
                    Here's a picture defining which pin is which:

To bypass the display connect P+ to PL.

P+ is a fairly high voltage and RXD/TXD are a bit oddball for UART's at 0V to ~3.8V (pain in the arse!). I measured it but don't recall it here - if anyone really cares I can measure it very quickly. I've got a bench setup with an old controller I'm using to develop a device to go in between the display and the controller. Regardless, it may be current limited but would be very careful about inadvertently connecting it to any other pin aside from PL.

Connecting P+ to PL is essentially how the display turns "on" the controller. If you turn it on without a display to communicate it sounds like it will go to some default. One of these days I'll test...

Comment

I am all about stocking spare parts. I have four ebikes that are all just about identical, so the spare parts fit on any of the bikes.

If you believe in Murphy's Law, if you have the spare part, you will never need it. If you don't have the spare part, there will come a day when you wish you did.

One good thing about a failed motor is that it is a great source of spare parts for its replacement. Get enough broken motors and you can use the good parts to make a functioning motor, which is a reason to use the same motors for your whole fleet.
                      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 08-03-2017, 07:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X