Push mode on BBSHD

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Push mode on BBSHD

I've got a couple of portions of off road trails that I need to walk the bike on. These include some very steep hills. P mode doesn't have enough power to help much and the throttle provides too much power. Is there a way to increase p mode power?

Yes, and no. That's the wrong question. What you really want is more speed. I've used "P" mode on my BBSHD for miles. I ride a 7.4 mile trail there and back that tests the limits of my 13.5Ah shark pack. The last mile is a 1060" descent. On the way back it's a steep ascent. I made it about 75' back before I realized I was never going to make it all the way back on the battery charge I had left. I decided to give "P" mode a try. I knew how much voltage I had when I started using "P" mode, and by the time I had made it to the top, the voltage had only dropped 1.4 volts. What I learned right away was that it was too slow in 2nd gear. I figured it should go faster in taller gears, so I kept shifting until the speed seemed right. I could climb all but the steepest sections in 6th gear, and I only had to drop to 5th to climb a 30 degree slope. I did have to lean my elbow on the seat to give it enough traction to climb the tough spots though. It's a great way to extend your battery life, and get a good hike in as well.

Comment

I've been doing some experimenting and for me on my bike I have to be in 1st gear to climb much of anything in P. If I go to smaller sprockets it just bogs down even quicker. This is especially true if I have to get it over some rocks on steep portions. Mine definitely doesn't spin in P and I have the same setup (I'm programmed very close to Karl's setup).

I've tried feathering the throttle but that can get pretty high adventure pretty quick.

Not a big deal in shorts and a t-shirt but I'm using this for hunting this fall and will have a lot more kit on and on the rack.

I'm guessing it could be programmed to have more power in P but haven't seen this addressed anywhere.I'm hoping some programmer is getting sick of wrestling his bike up some stairs or something and takes this on one day.

Comment

• cajk
        cajk commented
        Editing a comment
        Nope - as far as I know, even using the programming cable, there is no way to alter the P(push) mode or how it acts. I've been through all the programming threads here and on other forums, and have never seen any mention of changing this setting. I'm thinking it must be hard-wired into each motor.

Are you still sitting on the bike when you do this? "P" mode only uses about 1 amp of power, so it won't 200 lbs, but it will move 60 lbs. "P" mode does slow down when it hits an obstacle, but ramps the power up, and like a spring, surges up and over it. I've walked it right up to a 12" high lip, rammed it with the front tire, kept holding down the button, and with a surge, "P" mode gave it enough power to lift the front wheel over, then scrubbed at it with the back wheel, till I leaned on the seat to give it traction, and it surged over with the back wheel as well. "P" isn't meant to be used with you on the bike, but with you hiking next to the bike.

Comment

Nope walking along.

Comment

What do you mean by bogged down. My bike will slow down when I hit an obstacle, then it gives it more power and surges over it.

Comment

I'm not understanding what is hard about using the throttle to aid in pushing the bike up a steep hill?

Comment

Try it. Too fast, too slow, oh no, there it goes! The best you can do with the throttle is to bump it at the same time as taking a stride. I climbed a cobble-covered trail once, before discovering the virtues of P mode, and it was horrible. I was absolutely beat. The problem with using the throttle is your hands move when you walk next to it. This moves the throttle too. When my hand moves off the - button in P mode, it simply stops. When my hand moves the throttle, it might go faster, or slower, or stop, or even leap ahead. My bike loves to bounce when it gets too much throttle I bounced my bike, off and on, all the way up that trail. It sucked.

Comment

I have done this several times with no issue on steep high walls I wouldn't have been able to push the bike up manually. I did notice that in pedal assist 0 that the throttle is basically an on/off switch but if you put it in pedal assist 1-5 then the throttle actuates smoothly through the power range like a motorcycle. Is your throttle working like an on/off switch that is giving you grief?

Comment

Hi I've seen people talking about push mode on the bbshd could someone please tell me how to activate it, I've looked through the setting and can't find it.

Comment

Try holding down the "-" (minus) button on your display's controls - it takes a moment to start up, and the display may show "P". The brake cutoff switches, if engaged, will prevent startup.
                    Last edited by ncrkd; 08-03-2019, 10:43 AM.
                    2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
                    3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
                    4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

Working...
                    X