Need Ludicrous Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Ludicrous Help Please

Can anyone help me tell the difference between a Ludicrous mid drive and the 1500W lower power model? From what I have seen on Luna's Website the Ludicrous has grey machined looking heat sinks and the lower power model has a cast housing.
    Please see photos attached
    Last edited by robo21; 06-09-2017, 09:53 PM.

one is 2500w the other 1500w.

Comment

• Jasdidit
      Jasdidit commented
      Editing a comment
      Not correct. The only thing different is the color. A normal BBSHD controller has a smooth face without any fins, except around the edge.

Thank you. That's exactly my conclusion. I bought and paid for the Ludicrous 2500W mid drive and received the 1500W. I am sure it was an oversight but now I have to get this changed out. I really need the extra juice.

Comment

• memberseven
      memberseven commented
      Editing a comment
      did you buy it with a bike? I don't think you can just buy the BBSHD Ludicrous from Luna by itself.

Yes, I just took delivery of a new 4 Seasons 3000 with all the goodies including the Bluto front fork, Thudbuster and I spec'ed the Ludicrous but clearly that is not what was installed. It had to be an oversight, I have heard nothing but high praise for Luna Cycle. All of the folks I have dealt with there have been professional and courteous. I will get this resolved next week I know how busy they are and I wanted to confirm my concern before I brought this to their attention. Thanks again.

Comment

This isn't the same as a previous BBSHD controller cover, and it isn't the same as the previous Ludacris controller cover. It is a third cover casting. I would tend to think it is a Ludacris because it has fins on the face, but that may just be Bafangs latest controller style. The real question is how many amps do you see on your display at full throttle. The Ludacris controller automatically doubles the amps in the programming, but the display will show the real amps being used. What is the max watts or amps shown on your display at full throttle?
      Last edited by Jasdidit; 06-10-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• memberseven
        memberseven commented
        Editing a comment
        yeah that casting looks like a new one, display doesn't show real amps being used tho, at least my ludicrous doesn't

Originally posted by Jasdidit View Post
      This isn't the same as a previous BBSHD controller cover, and it isn't the same as the previous Ludacris controller cover. It is a third cover casting. I would tend to think it is a Ludacris because it has fins on the face, but that may just be Bafangs latest controller style. The real question is how many amps do you see on your display at full throttle. The Ludacris controller automatically doubles the amps in the programming, but the display will show the real amps being used. What is the max watts or amps shown on your display at full throttle?
      Thanks Jasdidit, Actually, there are other reasons for my concerns. Mainly related to performance. I just ran around the neighborhood and the peak amps were only 25 at full throttle.

Comment

• memberseven
        memberseven commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by Rodney64 View Post
        No it only registers to half. If the Ludicrous is pulling 50 amps only 25 will be registered.
        https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...on/34477-dpc14

that actually sounds like you have a ludicrous controller, and if that's a new heat sink cast, I want it haha, it looks much better than the chunky grey fins on mine.

None of this makes sense, the mid drive looks like the 1500W unit, it performs only marginally better than the RadRover. Perhaps a programming issue. We will get to the bottom of this tomorrow or Tuesday.

What is that old saying, "If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...."

Comment

How long did it hold peak amps? If you are running a 30 amp BMS, 50 amps is only allowed for a few seconds. A Ludacris controller and a shark battery pack will do 25 amps on the display for a short time, then it will limit itself to a lower amperage. I can hold at 25 amps until I hit my battery's LVC with my OEM Bafang controller.
        So, what is it good for, having a battery BMS that can't sustain 50 amps and a Ludacris controller? I ride off-road trails that are more like mule-tracks. They have rocks covering them, and stair-steps of roots, logs, and rocks. I would use the Ludacris surge of power to lift my bike's front end up and over obstacles in my path. I'll try and get a video to show what I mean. It is a difference in approach. Instead of using the pedal-bike approach to clearing a log, I would be using more of the motorcycle method of clearing a log.
        Last edited by Jasdidit; 06-11-2017, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• robo21
          robo21 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, very much for your help. We have to walk the dogs and then after that I will get out and check. I appreciate the info! :) As far as lifting the front end I can relate; years ago when I raced MC's in the desert I ran a 400cc Yamaha for the same reason. Encountering unexpected obstacles required lifting that front wheel so as not to go over the handlebars.

Testing the hardware is very simple. Peg the throttle and measure how long the battery BMS can sustain the 25 amp output you are seeing on the display. If the amperage drops to 15 amps after a short amount of time, you have a Ludacris controller. If it is able to sustain 25 amp output for minutes at a time, you have a standard controller. The shape of your controller is more like the shape of the Ludacris. The edge is round on the surface it bolts onto, while the OEM Bafang controller has more of a squared edge on that face. Here is a pic of my OEM Bafang controller. Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Bafang stock.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	294.8 KB
ID:	37550

Comment

Hi Jasdidit, okay I tried a couple of times running up a gradual uphill which leads to a reasonably steep hill the run was between 1/4 mile and 1500 feet or so. I went full throttle and it pegged at 25A all the way to the top.

Comment

I have the same question just got my KHS 500 fat bike with Ludicrous upgrade and the 52 volt 13.5ah pack I have the 750 display which shows watts but not amps {don't see it in the settings}
            I max out at 1275 watts .
            in the 750s display for Version I have hardware H2.0 ,Software 1.0B-H1
            in the advance settings current limit was set to 20A but I can increase it to 50 but that didnt seem to increase wattage output on the display .
            I seem to have the motor as shown in the first pic on left side
            This normal or do I need to use the cable and computer to unleash full potential ?
            with pas? set to 5 I max out and no pedal 25-27mph
            Thanks

Comment

The displays just read whatever the controller tells them. We rewired the controller to trick it into doubling its output so the display will not be accurate with watts or amps.

Just use any $25 wattmeter wired up on the power connection if you really want to verify power usage. But I can tell you if the case looks nonstandard it is ludi just a later revision than the earlier pics on site.

Do not raise output past 25a on a ludi because that's actually 50a. 30a setting would be 60a output and would probably strip the primary

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
                The displays just read whatever the controller tells them. We rewired the controller to trick it into doubling its output so the display will not be accurate with watts or amps.

Just use any $25 wattmeter wired up on the power connection if you really want to verify power usage. But I can tell you if the case looks nonstandard it is ludi just a later revision than the earlier pics on site.

Do not raise output past 25a on a ludi because that's actually 50a. 30a setting would be 60a output and would probably strip the primary
                Thanks for jumping in here Paxtana. So when Jasdidit says " A Ludacris controller and a shark battery pack will do 25 amps on the display for a short time, then it will limit itself to a lower amperage." And my display reads a solid 25A up the hill for at least 1 minute to 1 minute 10 seconds or so. It sounds to me like I have the lower powered unit.

Also what benefit in current info would be derived from having the newer horizontal 750C display/dashboard? I seem to remember reading somewhere that it would provide a better or more accurate reading with the Ludi.

Comment

Hey robo21, no I am saying he was wrong and none of what he wrote is from any sort of Luna documentation, he's new so please don't give him too hard a time about it :)
                  Anyway that's not how the shark BMS works. It'll give as much as you need right up until the bms straight up shuts down the pack from overcurrent, which may or may not happen if you got it pegged at 25A (which is actually 50A) the bms is 50a max, right around where the bms would shut down but not necessarily quite enough to get it to cut depending on specific model since the bms likes to cut at a bit higher than 50A just in case.

Sorry for any confusion. Like I said you can verify by putting in a wattmeter. We got great documentation on simple wiring techniques on the hardcase documentation. As an added bonus it gives a lot of great info to determine how much power you got left in the battery so you can estimate remaining range on a trip. It is a great addition to any ebike.
                  http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...ries-basic-faq

Or if you prefer just pull the controller by removing the 3 allen bolts and look at the potting. Bafang potting is gray. Last I heard our potting is black.

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post

Or if you prefer just pull the controller by removing the 3 allen bolts and look at the potting. Bafang potting is gray. Last I heard our potting is black.
                    Hi Paxtana, I like the idea of looking at the "potting" but please define what I am looking for is that a heat sink attached to a printed circuit board? I apologize for my ignorance, I am new too.

Comment

Working...
                    X