BBSHD cranks not centered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD cranks not centered?

I just installed a 68mm BBSHD on a 73mm bb. The crank arms are offset a little to the right of center. Meaning, the right pedal is about 8mm or so farther away from the centerline than the left pedal.

How are yours? Are they centered?
    Last edited by Kocho; 06-13-2017, 05:18 PM.

Anyone? Are your cranks centered side to side? Are they offset, and in which direction?

Comment

• memberseven
      memberseven commented
      Editing a comment
      can't help you there, i have 2 bbshd and both are perfectly centered.

On my 68MM BB build, with no spacers between the BBSHD and the right-hand side of the BB, the pedals are visually equally centered (as in within 1-2mm I'd guesstimate).

Comment

The spindle where the the cranks attach is not centered on the bottom bracket in my case. The drive side is only1mm away from the chainstays and the motor is mounted flush with the BB on the bike (no spacers). And I got more distance between the bike BB and the inside of the pedal crank on the drive side than on the left. So really there is nothing I can do to center it - adding spacers will only increase the offset to the right. I do not have any spacers right now as the chain ring and motor just clear the bike.

If it bothers me, I suppose I can put an offset left crank to make the spacing equal, although the distance between the pedals is already very wide compared to a normal bike, something like 80mm wider... Bafang should be including cranks that are bent inwards on these drives to compensate for the excessive width of the spindle (most chain rings are already offset inwards, some as much as 25mm or so inwards, so such bent cranks will have no problem clearing the chain drive on the right and the chain stays on the left...
      Last edited by Kocho; 06-14-2017, 05:41 AM.

Comment

To close the loop, apparently, this offset is to be expected when installing a 68mm motor on a 73mm bottom bracket. I rode the bike for just over 10 miles today, and I could not tell the pedals were not fully symmetrical. So I suppose it does not matter.

Comment

Working...
        X