BBSHD Bash guard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD Bash guard

Hey just wondering if anyone knows where I could get a "bash guard" that would fit the BBSHD. I remember seeing someone made a custom one in a build somewhere

The way the BBSHD wires come out (even though I run them straight upwards), I'm a little bit worried banging them onto a rock or log or something. A sharp rock and the right amount of smoosh into the red and black wire I think would be pretty nasty.

Maybe a future project for Luna? I would get one!

Comment

This is the one I was thinking of https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...guard#p1130555

Comment

Originally posted by jakethe5nake View Post

I'd buy one of those.

Comment

I've been thinking about something like this as well. Has anyone found a good plug-and-play solution? I have a BBSHD with a Luna 42T chainring on a 29er mountain bike, used for city commuting but also fun off-road when I get the chance. My line of thought is to mount a second, large diameter chainring or "bashring" on the outside of the smaller chainring (which actually drives the chain/gears). Mounted via the same five bolts as the small chainring to the motor. Would serve several purposes at the same time -- 1. Protect both the BBSHD and "active" chainring from curbs, logs, etc., 2. If not too flashy, could help hide the bulge of the BBSHD and keep things more incognito, 3. Since it would be spinning along with the motor, actually act as a third wheel temporarily to keep you from handing up on something, 4. Act as a chain guard for your leg (if just a large chainring is used, I think you would want to wrap the teeth in rubber or otherwise grind them down somehow...otherwise it would be like a table saw next to your leg!). Has anyone seen/built something like this? There are plenty of "bashrings" online but I haven't come across one that would mount directly to the five bolt pattern on the BBSHD.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver_Season1 View Post
            I've been thinking about something like this as well. Has anyone found a good plug-and-play solution? I have a BBSHD with a Luna 42T chainring on a 29er mountain bike, used for city commuting but also fun off-road when I get the chance. My line of thought is to mount a second, large diameter chainring or "bashring" on the outside of the smaller chainring (which actually drives the chain/gears). Mounted via the same five bolts as the small chainring to the motor. Would serve several purposes at the same time -- 1. Protect both the BBSHD and "active" chainring from curbs, logs, etc., 2. If not too flashy, could help hide the bulge of the BBSHD and keep things more incognito, 3. Since it would be spinning along with the motor, actually act as a third wheel temporarily to keep you from handing up on something, 4. Act as a chain guard for your leg (if just a large chainring is used, I think you would want to wrap the teeth in rubber or otherwise grind them down somehow...otherwise it would be like a table saw next to your leg!). Has anyone seen/built something like this? There are plenty of "bashrings" online but I haven't come across one that would mount directly to the five bolt pattern on the BBSHD.
            Waynebergman's bash guard is great. A little more than I'd want, though. I don't cross big rocks, just logs, The motor hits those, sometimes, not ideal but no real damage. But the wires....I'd like to protect where they exit from the bottom of the motor.

There aren't good existing fasteners to use for this on the BBS motors. Wayne avoided this by spanning the whole kit and mounting to the frame. I'm thinking of using the BB to mount a small wire guard. Make a steel BB spacer for each side with a tang that hangs down, and a horizontal piece welded across the bottom. U shaped. Like this |_| from front view, with BB in middle. The motor mounting nuts on the BB would retain it, as with normal spacers.

If you use a Luna Chainring adapter, that's 130BCD. I think you could mount any standard 130 BCD chainring bashguard to that.
            Last edited by JPLabs; 01-29-2017, 08:02 AM.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Working...
            X