Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTV Silicone Remover?

Hey guys,

I'm removing my motor controller to install a new one and the white connector is covered in white RTV silicone. I know Permatex can remove it, but I don't have any. Is there any way to remove RTV silicone with anything I might find around the house? Thanks in advance.

I just use a sharp knife to carefully cut around the edge of the plug and undo it that way. I would be cautious using any kind of chemical to try and remove the silicone completely.

Comment

The wonder in a can- WD40 . Never tried it but who knows.

Comment

Originally posted by neil.b View Post
        I just use a sharp knife to carefully cut around the edge of the plug and undo it that way. I would be cautious using any kind of chemical to try and remove the silicone completely.
        Thanks, I've been considering that and will have to try it. I had the same worry you did about using chemicals.

Comment

Use a combination of a flat head screwdriver in various sizes and a knife. You don't even really need to cut it away, if you mess with it enough, you can get the entire silicone blob to pop up and unstick itself from the interior.

I would not use any solvents, you'll likely cause more damage. Just set it up on a table with a bright light and pick at it with the screwdriver carefully for about an hour.

Comment

Hey Ebiker, I have restored several airstream trailers, they are always covered with silicone. I made a set of wooden chisels out of various hardwoods on my sander, you dig out and chisel off all you can, switching them out to keep a sharp edge. then brush 0n a little of this: https://www.amazon.com/SILICONE-CAUL...t_sims?ie=UTF8 It will dissolve a thin layer of silicone in about 20 min., which you rub off with a dry rag. Now you have a clean surface that will reseal nicely! It works and is the only way I have found to get silicone really off. It may not be necessary to remove the residue in this case, but you know how! Happy Motoring e-rod

Comment

Working...
            X