Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoonie
    replied
    Sounds like a 120MM kit will be available and no special tools, tig weld or epoxy! California eBikes a friend of Luna, I understand from Eric's posts.

Leave a comment:

• Louis
    replied
    Dealers here have nothing o do with your VAT or duties. The best you can hope for is lowered values.

Leave a comment:

• Suwidah
    commented on 's reply
    By the way, I'm living in Sweden at the moment.

• Suwidah
    replied
    Hey guys,
    I'm planing to buy a bbshd kit, and I have no Idea how these customs duties and vat work,:D
    What is the cheapest way to buy one?

Leave a comment:

• Louis
    commented on 's reply
    Not unless it's a 73MM Bottom bracket or smaller. I don't know of any that size.

• pcliteuser
    replied
    just a question? i have a 68mm bbshd - can i use that same unit on a fatbike?

Leave a comment:

• Jima
    commented on 's reply
    Mine is a 2015, toke the krank off their and then late last year, and been waiting for the bbshd ever since, ... Finally picked it up last week in Oslo, thinking I'd be riping the trails in a couple of hours like I did with my other bike 2 years ago bbs02 on a ordinary trail bike. Well now that I see all the problems with it I think I should be good to go once I get the 30 tooth chain ring and spacers for the bottom braket, ... Hoping for no more surprizes anyways, ... gotta rip them their hills!
    Waiting for my order to get shipped, I'm thinking I better get the programming usb cable as well, dont really like peddel assist very much!
    I have 2x 11ah 48v batteries that I'm hoping will be enogh, but if not, I considering to fill the triangel fully inorder to get disance, ... Got some long trails out back :-)))

• Jima
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Ade
    replied
    Originally posted by Jima View Post
    I'm from Norway, and I just got my bbshd, and found out that their was some problems, ... But after checking the problems out on the net, I see that these can be fix in most cases.
    My bike is a xeed fattubby '18 with 4'9 tires and a 100mm krank. So I find myself ordering from Lyna, som spacers for the krank and a chaining, ... Thinking I just mite need a spacer for the chainring aswell!? Anyways as you can see on the pictures I had to grind down apart to have the motor as high up as possable, and since I need 7-8mm wih spacers on the krank, their will not be enogh room for the lockring peis, so oh-well, just use lochtight I guess, since I would be taking the weldpart of the frame if I were to do so.
    Hi Jima,

I've seen a number of Xeed fat bikes for sale on Finn but I thought they had a pressfit BB rather than the required threaded BSA. Do you know the year yours was made?

I avoided the chainstay clearance issues on my Nakamura build by getting a 120mm BBSHD. Spacers are better than too little space. ;)
    Last edited by Ade; 06-20-2016, 12:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jima
    replied
    I'm from Norway, and I just got my bbshd, and found out that their was some problems, ... But after checking the problems out on the net, I see that these can be fix in most cases.
    My bike is a xeed fattubby '18 with 4'9 tires and a 100mm krank. So I find myself ordering from Lyna, som spacers for the krank and a chaining, ... Thinking I just mite need a spacer for the chainring aswell!? Anyways as you can see on the pictures I had to grind down apart to have the motor as high up as possable, and since I need 7-8mm wih spacers on the krank, their will not be enogh room for the lockring peis, so oh-well, just use lochtight I guess, since I would be taking the weldpart of the frame if I were to do so.

Leave a comment:

• Bicycle365
    replied
    I don't know what came in that Luna box originally but I SOOOOO want one.....

Leave a comment:

• Ade
    replied
    BBSHD is the biz. Just awesome. I actually use the throttle less than I did with the BBS02 as the PAS is not only powerful enough but also smooth and progressive.

My 52v shark pack is in the post from Envolt too - good job my Luna charger just arrived for it (but seriously, who was on acid when they designed that box? Lol)

Leave a comment:

• Ade
    replied
    So, I got around to installing this cool drive - I was kind of rushed as there was a lot going on here these past few days - I will have to tidy up the install when I get the new battery. But here are my initial ride impressions;

Wow. The power delivery seems much smoother than the BBS02 that I had previously and there is noticeably much more torque. It's quieter too - much quieter in my case as my BBS02 was starting to sound rather harsh. The colour display is nice - good to see the voltage meter - this is on my 48v battery - we will see if it's frustrating on the 52V I'll be getting. I like the vertical thumb throttle that I fitted better than the previous horizontal thumb throttle. After a 5km ride, mainly downhill, this kit seems awesome. Will see later when I go home if the extra torque is noticeable when it matters, going back uphill. :)

The installation impressions;

I thought this would be a 30 minute job as I was replacing one motor with another. Turned out to be hours rather than minutes though. The case on this drive feels like the business - no plastic here.

I let my old wiring harness in place with the brake sensors attached so I didn't have to recable everything. I put on the new speed sensor, the new display, new throttle, and soldered on some 4mm bullets to the motor as that's what I had one the battery.

I ordered the 120mm version for my 100mm for 2 reasons; future proofing in case I go for a fatter bike later and also to allow movement for any issues with intrusive chainstays. I ordered an extra spacing kit (to go with the free one that's included) and 2 x 4mm extra spacers to account for the additional 20mm (seriously, unless you have a 120mm BB, if you get the 120mm, do not skimp on spacers - get extra). As it turns out, I only needed a 1mm spacer on the drive side - that gives me a fraction of a mm of space between the motor housing and the chainstay. But that also means I have 20mm of aluminium spacers on the left side which look kind of naff - I'm considering painting them black.

The Luna 42T chain ring (the current freebie) gives an okay chain line and looks to be in line with my 7th or 8th gear - not perfect though as I'd prefer it more centred, so I've ordered a Lekkie from Em3ev (Luna's out of stock at the moment) which has a greater inward offset. The Luna 42T is pretty good quality though and will probably give a good enough chain line for many I would have thought. No idea of its chain keeping properties yet - I know my old Lekkie was bomb proof - I didn't lose the chain once with that chainring, and after a couple of thousand km, it doesn't show any signs of wear - it even kept some of the blue paint on its teeth.

When I get the Lekkie, if there's enough inward offset, I may try to move the drive towards the right a little and put in a 4mm spacer there to help center the axle more.

Now to my only real gripe(s).

The M6 bolts that attach the retaining bracket to the drive and the spacers are all wrong. Here's the picture from the installation page;

http://www.electricbike.com/wp-conte.../05/BBSHD5.jpg

Well, my bolts don't look like that. I have 3 - one black, with one large black spacer, that's perhaps 8mm (must be an original Bafang I guess that will no doubt rust) and 2 nice stainless steel with several aluminium spacers (4, 2 and 1 mm).

The problem is the stainless steel bolts are not threaded to the bolt head - there is probably 10mm or so unthreadded, so require a lot of spacers and even then are too long to be used in this 120mm install on a 100mm BB. "Cut them" I hear you say - that's great but there's not enough spacers included to take up the unthreaded portion of the bolt. What I eventually did was use the black crappy Bafang bolt with the rustable spacer on one bolt hole and a stainless bolt on another with aluminium spacers from both stainless bolts. And yes, you can always add washers, but it looks very naff, more so than the stack of BB spacers. So I will be buying some new M6 bolts that will be a better fit and won't require any spacers at all.

Bolts are cheap, it would have been nice to have a shorter set that didn't need cutting or spacers to fit in 120mm/100mm installs. Or at least have fully threaded bolts so they could be cut to length.

Not even sure why there was one black bolt & spacer in the kit.

Last edited by Ade; 05-18-2016, 01:58 AM. Reason: Put in image link as embedded didn't seem to work

Leave a comment:

• Ade
    replied
    Picked up the BBSHD from the post office today and wow, initial impression is that this thing really is HD compared the the BBS02.

Not entirely sure how I ended up with 2 x 42t chain rings though.

Also just ordered the 300w smart charger with barrel adaptor - I really should have gone ahead and ordered it when Ashley mailed me and told me they had a 220v version before they shipped the motor. I wouldn't have to have paid another $50 in shipping and probably had the better price when you order it together with the motor. :/

The new display seems a little light - I hope it's as reliable as my old one.

Planning on putting it on over the next day or so (as long as the cold I have doesn't get worse).

And got a mail from envolt confirming the battery build so that is coming along too - I will use my 48v dolphin until it arrives.

Leave a comment:

• Ade
    replied
    Originally posted by k_oflynn2000 View Post
    Im sure luna would put the value of the bbshd as low as you wanted to get the import tax down to a minimal amount making it even cheaper. About the batteries, do you still have to pay luna to ship it to the reshipping company or do they collect it from luna?? Im liking the look of the new smaller GA triangle pack.
    Yes, I should have asked Luna about fiddling the invoice amount - there are limits and some of the toll people aren't stupid. In the past I've had requests to provide further information on stuff and I'm sure a cool looking motor valued at 300kr would raise some eyebrows. ;) lol

Luna would have to ship the battery to New Jersey (I think) which is the JetCarrier warehouse - not sure how much shipping that would be. Doing the math, a 52v 13.5ah GA Shark pack is going to be about the same from envolt.se +/- 500kr and excluding import taxes - and I'm assuming a similar quality of the pack.

Taxes will depend on willingness of invoice amount "fiddling". ;) Having a relatively local battery builder is an advantage though so that's worth something, but it's nice to know that we can get batteries from Luna if needed for a reasonable price and with only 3 or 4 weeks shipping times.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X