Which fatbike for bbshd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which fatbike for bbshd

So im wondering which fatbike in people's experience is the best for the bbshd in regards to value for money and most importantly, chain line and chain stay interference.

Most guys are using Motobecane fatbikes from Bikes Direct. Click on the "Articles" tab on the top of this forum.

I'm currently converting a Specialized Fatboy Trail and it's looking like it will work out fine. I just might be the first one to put a BBSHD on one. The Fatboy's are expensive brand new, but the nice thing is they can be found very gently used in every city across the country... for the same price or less than a new Motobecane. I've previously owned Specialized bikes and have been happy with the quality of their build.

I will be posting my build in about two weeks. Cheers.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3879.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	719.1 KB
ID:	5256
    Attached Files

Comment

• smilingandroid
      smilingandroid commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi,Can you let us know how you went with the fatboy trail? Did you use a 100mm BBSHD or 120mm?

I built a Motobecane Sturgis titanium. It has the ultra wide rear hub at 190mm for larger rims and tires. Chain line is a nice issue with the Mighty Mini chain ring. The Eclipse ring has a better chain line but u lose the crawling speed of the smaller MM. With a narrower rear hub (? 170) I think the chain one would be less of an issue. As far as value Bikes Direct is great. Pick the frame you want and then the component level +/- a suspension fork (I love my Rock Shop Bluto).

Comment

• JPLabs
      JPLabs commented
      Editing a comment
      That's interesting about your chainline an the rear frame width for the Titanium version. On my aluminum Sturgis Bullet, the Mini provides a much better chainline than the Eclipse. I didn't understand why our experiences differed, until you mentioned your 190mm rear hub. On my aluminum frame it is 197mm, so the cassette is a bit further out. That helps explain it:

From BikesDirect page for my bike:

Hubs:

REAR DISC HUB 32H. Thru-Axle:12x197MM, POLISHED ANOD. BLACK
      Last edited by JPLabs; 04-30-2016, 08:38 AM.

I forgot to say that my fatty definitely needed the 120mm BBSHD to clear the chain stay.

Comment

Electric bike blog for all sorts of builds to copy.

Comment

Originally posted by k_oflynn2000 View Post
        So im wondering which fatbike in people's experience is the best for the bbshd in regards to value for money and most importantly, chain line and chain stay interference.
        I'm going to reuse my Nakamura Big Bog 4.0 from a couple of years ago - 2014 model I guess. I worked well with the BBS02 (100mm conversion) and I just needed a spacer between motor and Lekkie 42T chainring. Ordered the 120mm HD though, just in case and for future proofing - I guess I'm going to have to use 20mm of spacers on the Big Bob.

But, I am considering getting a new bike instead and fitting the HD there - looking around I see that the 2015 Rocky Mountain Blizzard Fat bike looks like might be a very good option. It has a BSA 100mm BB and the chainstays don't look too intrusive. The downtube is straight too, unlike a lot of the curved ones being built these days.
        You can pick one up in Norway "cheap" for 19,000NOK at the moment with a Bluto fork too.

Oh, one caveat with the Blizzard - it doesn't have the largest clearance for big tires - some people have reported not being able to run Surly Lou in the rear. It you want to run just the standard, run of the mill tires 4.5inch tires, it should be okay though.
        The page you're looking for cannot be found. Ahh snap! We just launched a new website and it looks like the page you're after has moved. Don't worry, it probably hasn't gone too far. Try checking out the site map to track it down.
        Last edited by Ade; 04-29-2016, 12:56 AM. Reason: Addition info

Comment

Hey I4C_UR2P

I noticed i have the exact same bike as you (and colour) I bought a BBSHD, 100mm, but from what I can tell, it looks like I'm going to need a "PF30/BB Right/BB386 EVO>BSA Bottom Bracket Conversion Adapter/Convertor"

Did you ever post your final build? Can't seem to find it.. Wondering if the BBSHD 100mm will fit with just this adapter, and if there's anything else I might need at all to make this fit.. Let me know if you could, would much appreciate it!

Comment

Ditto with dephrag. I also have the Specialized Fatboy and would love to see your final build.

Comment

Originally posted by dephrag View Post
              Hey I4C_UR2P

I noticed i have the exact same bike as you (and colour) I bought a BBSHD, 100mm, but from what I can tell, it looks like I'm going to need a "PF30/BB Right/BB386 EVO>BSA Bottom Bracket Conversion Adapter/Convertor"

Did you ever post your final build? Can't seem to find it.. Wondering if the BBSHD 100mm will fit with just this adapter, and if there's anything else I might need at all to make this fit.. Let me know if you could, would much appreciate it!
              Hi, How did you go with your 100mm BBSHD on your fatboy trail?

Comment

Working...
              X