BBSHD with IGH and, in particular, Rohloff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBSHD with IGH and, in particular, Rohloff

I have recently got BBSHD and will be putting it on one of my bikes for commuting. I was thinking about going with IGH for low cost maintenance, and I was wondering how many people run their BBSHD with IGH? What are your experiences in terms of long-term performance, durability and costs? I have read that for a flat commute, 3-speed IGH such as Shimano Nexus or Sram i-Motion is all that you need, well maybe Alfine 8 if it is a bit hilly. All of those IGH have "direct-drive" gear.

At the same time, I have a Rohloff hub that I wanted to put to a good use in this project. Anybody runs BBSHD with Rohloff? The blog post seems to suggest that 14-gears might cause too frequent shifting, which will be nuisance. Also, there is a concern of BBSHD being too powerful. Can share please with me your wisdom?

http://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kit-igh/

If you search the forum using "Rohloff", you'll get some ideas...

Comment

http://electricbike.com/forum/forum/...oper-pro-build

Comment

last post mentions rolloff
        Which of these two IGHs would be most efficient and cost effective for a hill climbing BBSHD commuter build? Based on the gear ratios on Sheldon Browns

Comment

Rohloffs are a terrible idea with a BBSHD... Since they are such a bad idea I'll be happy to take that horrible boat anchor off your hands... I'll even pay shipping...

Just kidding =]

Comment

http://www.electricbike.com/a-rohlof...electric-bike/

Comment

Thank you for the pointers! I have done quite a bit of reading on ebikes and IGH, but of course, googling everything is not the easiest way around. I have read quite a bit, but "Montague" experience was new and quite informative. My post was more aimed at seeing if somebody tried that and ran into (serious) problems along the way. Some blogposts mentioned BBSHD being too powerful, and Rohloff having too many speed to go though. But it appears I am good to go! Thank you very much. Such a great community!

Comment

Originally posted by ryoanji View Post
                I have recently got BBSHD and will be putting it on one of my bikes for commuting. I was thinking about going with IGH for low cost maintenance, and I was wondering how many people run their BBSHD with IGH? What are your experiences in terms of long-term performance, durability and costs? I have read that for a flat commute, 3-speed IGH such as Shimano Nexus or Sram i-Motion is all that you need, well maybe Alfine 8 if it is a bit hilly. All of those IGH have "direct-drive" gear.

At the same time, I have a Rohloff hub that I wanted to put to a good use in this project. Anybody runs BBSHD with Rohloff? The blog post seems to suggest that 14-gears might cause too frequent shifting, which will be nuisance. Also, there is a concern of BBSHD being too powerful. Can share please with me your wisdom?

http://www.electricbike.com/mid-drive-kit-igh/
                I wouldn't go 14 gears simply because with bbshd you don't need them. You'll end up using 2 maybe 3 gears at all time and forget the rest exist. The BBSHD uses so much power honestly i rarely ever shift anymore. If there's a hill or something i'll go 6th gear of my 8 gears. All I ever use is 6,7 and 8 and i have 8 speed cassette paired with sram ex1 ex-horizon derailleur. Excellent derailleur and very precise for single gear shifting. another advantage to having less gears is your chain can be as thick and as strong as they make them. It's also cheaper to buy a 7-8 speed chain rather than 10-11 or 12 speed one. for me this combo works perfectly and i wouldn't change anything on my bike (as it is) well perhaps the fork but that's another subject... Hope this helps =) happy riding!!!
                PS as far as IGH i'd go with this one https://lunacycle.com/sram-dd3-igh-3...-with-shifter/

Comment

• calfee20
                  calfee20 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  ryoanji already has a Rohloff so he may as well use it. I just plugged the info into Sheldon Brown's gear calculator for my bike with a Rohloff. It looks like there is a 5 or 6 speed spread in there that will be used. He won't have to go through all 14 speeds and then once in a while he may need a few of his extreme speeds. I have a 24 speed hub and once in a while I need to use my lowest speed.

I've got an 11 speed cassette 11-46t (more than 4:1) and I guarantee - I use the lowest and the highest gears *every* ride. For me it's not about how many gears, but the range. I positively use 4:1 and would be unhappy with less...

Comment

• intramorph
                  intramorph commented
                  Editing a comment
                  so you have a bbshd and you use every gear on your 11 speed every ride? I find that very hard to believe but hey.... I have 8 gears and use exclusively only 3 of them... If you use all your gears tell me what's the purpose of using the 46T gear in the back. maybe if you explained it to me i'd understand you better. Thanks. also you can get that exact same ratio with less gears. I don't live in the mountains and so there's no 60-70 degree heels i have to climb. Just saying for ordinary folk living in paved environment you really don't need any of those extra gears.

• AZguy
                  AZguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My chain ring is a 39t so 46t isn't that low. In first it can go comfortably as low as about 2.5mph and 5mph is about my cadence limit. I ride off-road every ride including rail right-of-ways (those really rough rocks), sand, etc. Most rides include steep grades (>10-15% by gps). I often enough ride around a large crowds and can easily ride at a walking pace. I hope that explains the 46t.

The top gear gives a very comfortable brisk cadence (for me) at 20mph and is usable for cruise at ~17mph or more. I generally hit >17mph on every ride. That explains the range.

Frankly I'd prefer fewer gears with the same or more range a al sram ex-1 11-48t and I lust for it - it is about as beautiful as a derailleur system can get to my eye- but the ex-1 is waaaaay to expensive for my budget....

I'd seriously consider the alfine if they come out with one for 190mm x 15mm rear...

• intramorph
                  intramorph commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree the ex-1 cassette is so nice but so expensive imo not worth it in the long run. but okay i get why you need such low gears. For my application though they're not needed at all. I live in a mostly quiet area with no steep rocky mountainous terrains and so yeah 11-42T is plenty enough for me and my 8 gears, Cheers happy riding
              Working...
              X