Thermal pads as cooling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermal pads as cooling

Hi,wondered if it would work if you used the thermal pads thats used to cool computer vrm's on the bbsx to make a contact with the frame thus cooling the motor? Just an idea

Originally posted by brone View Post
    Hi,wondered if it would work if you used the thermal pads thats used to cool computer vrm's on the bbsx to make a contact with the frame thus cooling the motor? Just an idea
    An Idea, But then, the paint on the frame might hinder that. I'm currently working on a Sondors Fold w/ a 25A controller (inside the frame) and would also like to use the Aluminum frame as a heat sink but, once again, paint. While black (paint) dissipates heat, bare aluminum is still better.

Comment

I have a 5” X 10” piece of 2mm thermal padding on all four of my ebikes.

It goes between the bottom of the controller and a 1/8” powder coated 5050 aluminum heat sink. The heat sink is bolted to 3/16” powder coated 4130 chromoly cross members welded on to the frame. There is 2mm thermal padding between the heat sink and cross members, too.

As you can imagine, the controller does not get very hot with the huge heat sink.
      Last edited by commuter ebikes; 01-02-2018, 10:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post
        I have a 5” X 10” piece of 2mm thermal padding on all four of my ebikes.

It goes between the bottom of the controller and a 1/8” powder coated 5050 aluminum heat sink. The heat sink is bolted to 3/16” powder coated 4130 chromoly cross members welded on to the frame. There is 2mm thermal padding between the heat sink and cross members, too.

As you can imagine, the controller does not get very hot with the huge heat sink.
        I'm mainly concerned about the motor area, cause my controller doesnt get hot

Comment

Hammering mine hard in 40-50°C the whole thing, motor and controller only get very warm, definitely not so hot I can't touch the thing. I haven't broken out the IR thermometer but my calibrated fingers say no more than about 10°C rise (maybe 15°C when running stupid hard) which gives me very little concern. Even cheap electronic parts are usually rated for 70°C and the big heat generators like the MOSFET's usually have very high maximum die temperatures (125-150°C) - the motor gives me even less concern. The MOSFET's are likely the most concerning parts with regards to heat and they look pretty well connected thermally to the enclosure.

If you are running full power 100% in 40-50°C maybe I'd do something... but I'd probably just get a higher output controller which almost certainly dissipates less heat when operated at the same outputs...

Comment

I'm mainly concerned about the motor area, cause my controller doesnt get hot
            Is your controller right next to the motor on the BBSXX?

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post

Is your controller right next to the motor on the BBSXX?
              Umm, no, it's a stock bbs02 drive unit, riding hills with the throttle on the lowest gear I touched the motor, which was kinda warm, but the controller was emitting no heat at all, maybe I'm too paranoid that there's too much heat ?

Comment

Umm, no, it's a stock bbs02 drive unit, riding hills with the throttle on the lowest gear I touched the motor, which was kinda warm, but the controller was emitting no heat at all, maybe I'm too paranoid that there's too much heat ?
                Heat is the enemy. Electric motors can often take far more power put through them than their nominal rating, but over time the heat will build up and cause all sorts of problems. Mosfets can blow, …

Comment

I would consider a motor with an integrated controller (such as a BBS02) to have the controller right next to the motor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	630
Size:	585.6 KB
ID:	54983

Comment

Working...
                  X